XTZ M6
Surround Speakers
CANTON GLE 417
Front Height Speakers
MONOPRICE
Subwoofers
PSA V1500
Hello,

I am working on a home studio project having two pair of studio monitors one of them is KH 310 A which I used for testing. I have done measurements as per REW guidance I obtain from here and there.
I want someone to validate my acoustical solution for this room by checking my data of REW. I would be able to pay for the charges if any. I am doing this job as a hobbyist and want to learn more in the field of acoustics.

Tools used:

ECM 8000 without any calibration file.
Audient Evo 4(calibrated as per REW)
Nuemann KH310 A

measurements done on listening position. One with mic facing the speaker and other towards ceiling.

Attachments

• 9E6409AA-B608-41E7-AA57-BB2A56D817CF.jpeg
    9E6409AA-B608-41E7-AA57-BB2A56D817CF.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 218
  • FCE9AB9B-D0C5-4D88-A75C-BCE3B25B881A.jpeg
    FCE9AB9B-D0C5-4D88-A75C-BCE3B25B881A.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 4A30490C-A944-45BC-9235-DAC5CF1FF0AE.jpeg
    4A30490C-A944-45BC-9235-DAC5CF1FF0AE.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 200

simplex

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Rotel RC-1570
Main Amp
Quad 303 mod.
Computer Audio
Daphile @x86-Mini-PC with BruteFIR filters applied
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Yamaha BD-A1020 (mostly inactive, Daphile rules!)
Front Speakers
Tannoy D500 mod.
Streaming Equipment
audio cables custom made by myself
Other Equipment
Steinberg UR12, Behringer ECM8000
Hi,

I also started just several weeks ago using REW to implement digital correction to my stereo equipment. I'm definitely no expert and far from the idea from charging a fee for what I have to say here :).

My room is basically also L-shaped, similar to yours, but it's a living room, not a dedicated studio. So your goals may be different, I'm trying to achieve a clear and enjoyable (very subjective!) stereo soundstage that takes care of the acoustic disbalances of my room.

I took several measurements in a fully furnished room at different microphone positions around the main listening spot, left and right channel separately. So there are a sofa, armchairs, a certain amount of bookshelves, small tables and dressers, and a woolen carpet, which are supposed to stay where they are now - more or less. No bass traps, absorbers, or diffusors were installed.

This way I got measurements of my room that were taken under 'live' conditions. Averaging and smoothing left and right SPL curves showed clear differences between the channels, and keying in the basic measurements of my room (wall to wall, floor to ceiling) showed the room modes that had most impact regarding to peaks and troughs. Generating and implementing FIR filters based on these measurements clearly had a positive effect on my stereo image.

In a next step I'm planning to apply absorbers to the pair of walls that show the highest impact room modes, this is clearly behind the speakers and behind my listening spot. After that, new measurements will be necessary. Possibly you will apply more physical treatment to your room.

My question to you now: wouldn't it make sense to carry out your measurements after the furniture is in place? I would assume that your measurements in a 'naked' room might be interesting to work out basic room modes more clearly, but in the end you'll probably need measurements in the fully furnished room to see the need for or the effect of physical room treatment.

ccs777

Registered
More  
Main Amp
MARANTZ 7015
Pioneer
Front Speakers
XTZ M6
Center Channel Speaker
XTZ M6
Surround Speakers
CANTON GLE 417
Front Height Speakers
MONOPRICE
Subwoofers
PSA V1500
Hi,

I also started just several weeks ago using REW to implement digital correction to my stereo equipment. I'm definitely no expert and far from the idea from charging a fee for what I have to say here :).

My room is basically also L-shaped, similar to yours, but it's a living room, not a dedicated studio. So your goals may be different, I'm trying to achieve a clear and enjoyable (very subjective!) stereo soundstage that takes care of the acoustic disbalances of my room.

I took several measurements in a fully furnished room at different microphone positions around the main listening spot, left and right channel separately. So there are a sofa, armchairs, a certain amount of bookshelves, small tables and dressers, and a woolen carpet, which are supposed to stay where they are now - more or less. No bass traps, absorbers, or diffusors were installed.

This way I got measurements of my room that were taken under 'live' conditions. Averaging and smoothing left and right SPL curves showed clear differences between the channels, and keying in the basic measurements of my room (wall to wall, floor to ceiling) showed the room modes that had most impact regarding to peaks and troughs. Generating and implementing FIR filters based on these measurements clearly had a positive effect on my stereo image.

In a next step I'm planning to apply absorbers to the pair of walls that show the highest impact room modes, this is clearly behind the speakers and behind my listening spot. After that, new measurements will be necessary. Possibly you will apply more physical treatment to your room.

My question to you now: wouldn't it make sense to carry out your measurements after the furniture is in place? I would assume that your measurements in a 'naked' room might be interesting to work out basic room modes more clearly, but in the end you'll probably need measurements in the fully furnished room to see the need for or the effect of physical room treatment.

Hello,

Thanks for writing, I would first answer your question: I have taken measurement to understand impulse and decay at very early stage and before going into treatment. Attached is what I have planned for this area. Just to identify the room reflections below 500 hz and identify targets I have conducted these tests. Once that is evaluated we will proceed with room treatment and conduct further tests and check response.

First 8 measurements are taken for right speaker and next eight with left one for 34 Hz to 500 Hz with sweep of 256k. I am not able to understand how my Impulse graph is starting from negative value(attached). What I was expecting was an Impulse response for one single frequency and reflections to follow. So here I am confused what next should I do or how to derive results to determine my next step of acoustical panel design.

Ok Now you need to share me your setup for my own happiness ;)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-10-30 at 7.09.29 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-30 at 7.09.29 PM.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 190
  • IMPULSE UPTO 500HZ.png
    IMPULSE UPTO 500HZ.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 206

simplex

More  
Rotel RC-1570
Main Amp
Quad 303 mod.
Computer Audio
Daphile @x86-Mini-PC with BruteFIR filters applied
Yamaha BD-A1020 (mostly inactive, Daphile rules!)
Front Speakers
Tannoy D500 mod.
Streaming Equipment
audio cables custom made by myself
Other Equipment
Steinberg UR12, Behringer ECM8000
Being an REW noob myself, I never used the impulse graphs. Just averaged SPL curves based on full range sweeps.
But I'm curious and eager to learn: so could you just lead me to the point where to find these impulse measurements in REW? Just need an entry point to discuss that topic further.

ccs777

Registered
More  
Main Amp
MARANTZ 7015
Pioneer
Front Speakers
XTZ M6
Center Channel Speaker
XTZ M6
Surround Speakers
CANTON GLE 417
Front Height Speakers
MONOPRICE
Subwoofers
PSA V1500
Being an REW noob myself, I never used the impulse graphs. Just averaged SPL curves based on full range sweeps.
But I'm curious and eager to learn: so could you just lead me to the point where to find these impulse measurements in REW? Just need an entry point to discuss that topic further.
I believe it is a tab next to Distortion tab. For smaller room reverberation measurement is difficult such as RT 60 will not give accurate results thus impulse and decay becomes useful that is what I have understood.

ccs777

Registered
More  
Main Amp
MARANTZ 7015
Pioneer
Front Speakers
XTZ M6
Center Channel Speaker
XTZ M6
Surround Speakers
CANTON GLE 417
Front Height Speakers
MONOPRICE
Subwoofers
PSA V1500

I have learnt to use impulse graph, first we need to set IR window, 125ms to 300 m and 15 cycles for 1Khz, next you have to check your SPL, this is a smartest thing I have seen in REW. What it does is use one frequency impulse to get a range of frequency and show you the SPL curve how sound is behaving in your room. It avoids distortion and reflections which affects your normal frequency response.

This way I have derived attached frequency response. It is an average of 5 different measurements after applying IR range to 125 to 300 ms at 15 cycles. Second image shows actual measurement and than widowed response up to 300 ms. Dark graph is actual impulse having long decay and reflections as peaks light red is what we have taken as a sample. An idea small reverberant room will have decay below 300 ms. That is why we target the behavior of one impulse below 300ms despite my room has 1.8 second of delay I can still identify the performance avoiding reflections with help of IR windows.

My next step is to work on room treatment targeting the response I have received.

Attachments

• AVR 500 HZ AFTER IMPULSE.jpg
    AVR 500 HZ AFTER IMPULSE.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 161
  • impulse of 500hz.jpg
    impulse of 500hz.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 151

Lesmor

More  
Trinnov Altitude 16
Main Amp
Trinnov Amplitude 16
Panasonic DP-UB-9000
Front Speakers
JBL HDI 3800
Center Channel Speaker
JBK SCL- 6
Front Wide Speakers
Arendal 1961 monitors
Surround Speakers
JBL HDI 3800
Surround Back Speakers
Ascendo CCRM-6P
Front Height Speakers
KK Quattro QFH
Rear Height Speakers
KK Quattro 85
Subwoofers
3 x Arendal 1723 2S
Video Display Device
Epson 1200
Screen
Grandview 138' 16:9
Other Equipment
Zappiti mini HDR,miniDSP 2x4 HD

pklose

Hello ccs777,

starting out with REW is quite complicated. It has taken me a week or so to understand the user interface.

Before we get started: You have built a audio workplace and you have already installed acoustic treatment. Right? You are not sure about the performance and need some advice if you are on the right path or are already on the finish line.

Btw: The Neumann KH310 are great. I am using them too.

ccs777

Registered
More  
Main Amp
MARANTZ 7015
Pioneer
Front Speakers
XTZ M6
Center Channel Speaker
XTZ M6
Surround Speakers
CANTON GLE 417
Front Height Speakers
MONOPRICE
Subwoofers
PSA V1500
Hello ccs777,

starting out with REW is quite complicated. It has taken me a week or so to understand the user interface.

Before we get started: You have built a audio workplace and you have already installed acoustic treatment. Right? You are not sure about the performance and need some advice if you are on the right path or are already on the finish line.

Btw: The Neumann KH310 are great. I am using them too.

True, I have managed to installed wall panels prepared on helmholtz resonator theory. Three feet tall from floor. I want to improve the room condition by getting sure what I have planned will work.

Attachments

• Helmholtz resonator calculations.pdf
    171.3 KB · Views: 80

pklose

Hello ccs777,

ok, thanks for the clarification. If you want to investigate on the system room plus speakers, I recommend to use the analysis tool SPL and RT60.

The impulse response is not helpful in that regard. The windowed impulse response is a tool take the room out of the equation, e.g. when you are interested in the performance of a speaker and do not have an anechoic chamber at hand.

ccs777

Registered
More  
Main Amp
MARANTZ 7015
Pioneer
Front Speakers
XTZ M6
Center Channel Speaker
XTZ M6
Surround Speakers
CANTON GLE 417
Front Height Speakers
MONOPRICE
Subwoofers
PSA V1500
Hello ccs777,

ok, thanks for the clarification. If you want to investigate on the system room plus speakers, I recommend to use the analysis tool SPL and RT60.

The impulse response is not helpful in that regard. The windowed impulse response is a tool take the room out of the equation, e.g. when you are interested in the performance of a speaker and do not have an anechoic chamber at hand.

thats my updated plan attached.

Attachments

• D1640108-107D-47A9-989E-E2A89DF375CC.jpeg
    D1640108-107D-47A9-989E-E2A89DF375CC.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 96

ola1

Hello,

I am working on a home studio project having two pair of studio monitors one of them is KH 310 A which I used for testing. I have done measurements as per REW guidance I obtain from here and there.
I want someone to validate my acoustical solution for this room by checking my data of REW. I would be able to pay for the charges if any. I am doing this job as a hobbyist and want to learn more in the field of acoustics.

Tools used:

ECM 8000 without any calibration file.
Audient Evo 4(calibrated as per REW)
Nuemann KH310 A

measurements done on listening position. One with mic facing the speaker and other towards ceiling.
-Considering you have done a pretty decent job to acquire what can be considered pretty good gear, your weak point is the use of a measurement microphone which has NO correction curves for the specific mic you are measuring with.

In other words, all your measurements are completely useless cos you are unable to apply the "correction" data specific to your own mic, which would make the measurements in REW more accurate.

For very little money - less than $80 you can get a Dayton Audio measurement microphone which has its own measurement correction data, which you can uniquely download from the Internet, using its serial number.. But be careful though, I find that the serial number on the microphone is written on plastic that easily rubs off, so when you get your Dayton Audio mic, make a not of storing this serial number safely, in a number of different places, cos overtime the serial number written on the mic will no longer be legible.

What I use is the Dayton Audio EMM-6, which is a standard XLR mic, which will need phantom power from your mic-preamp.

And the measurements (calibration) for each mic can be downloaded from here :

There are minor edits which you need to do to the calibration file so that REW can read the file properly, i.e make a copy of the original file and edit this copy to make it compatible with REW's expectations. (it is possible that more recent versions of REW may be able to read the original file, cos they now have greater compatibility with the original file from Dayton Audio) . In my time when I set up my speakers a while ago, I did have to modify the original calibration file - minor edits.

It will ideally require you get as SPL meter also, if you wish to be exact when making measurements with REW. Not expensive I think a decent one can be had for $40. check Hugh Robjohn's recommendations on Sound on Sound magazine's website/forum for options.

Top Bottom