UMIK-1 on Linux: ... the input is not a recognised USB mic ...

PengGuin

Registered
Hi there,

I just installed REW V5.20.13 on Kubuntu 18.04. So far easy. Because it was recommended on the REW website, I bought this MiniDSP-1 UMIK-1 and also got the calibration file for it from the manufacturer's website.

REW finds the mic on startup and suggests to use it. Then it asks for the cal file, which I specify. Then the following error pops up:

The cal file has a Sens Factor entry but the input is not a recognised USB mic The Sens Factor entry will not be used.

Logfile reads:

Nov 07, 2023 2:42:32 PM roomeqwizard.CalData calFileLoader INFORMATION: Mic sensitivity -1,922 dB for serial number 7128592 from minidsp-umik-1-calibration-sn-7128592.txt

Could it be that on Linux the mic is not identified properly as an USB mic by REW due to the sound system being different than on other OSses?

arecord -L shows two entries for the mic:

hw:CARD=U18dB,DEV=0 Umik-1 Gain: 18dB, USB Audio Direct hardware device without any conversions plughw:CARD=U18dB,DEV=0 Umik-1 Gain: 18dB, USB Audio Hardware device with all software conversions

Any help is appreciated since I got that mike hoping I don't need to calibrate it for SPL measurements.

All the best
Peng

PengGuin

Registered
Thank you, John. Indeed this fixed my problem and I can now use the mic as intended. Looking forward to explore REW now, with loudness measurements being only one use case of many. (I work as an audio engineer mostly in live sound reinforcement situations.)

Top Bottom