UMIK-1 microphone with Helix DSP software, help required

Twonks

Registered
Hi all.

Not quite sure if this is the right place to ask so please forgive me if not.
I've Googled the question and got a few answers suggesting to change the gain internally on the mic, but am reluctant to do that without understanding more about the problem as mentioned below.

I have a UMIK-1 that shows up in Windows 10 as a -18 db version.
Work well enough with REW and registers levels as needed but, within Windows and in the Helix DSP software, even when shouting about an inch from the microphone it barely registers.

Windows shows a maximum volume of about 9 percent and I can't see anything to adjust the gain through software in the Windows environment.
This means I can't use it with the Helix DSP software in my car as I can't get the volume level loud enough to be of any use and I believe it can't be right as there are multiple speakers and around 2000W in total powering the system.

As it works in REW through WIndows on the same laptop, I am struggling to decipher what is going on.
Please can I ask if anybody has any comments or suggestions on what to do?

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
I'm not sure what might be happening, but we'll move this thread to the REW support forum and John may know what's going on with it.

I know in Dirac Live software that I use for the miniDSP C-DSP, it has a mic level adjustment, and I would think the Helix would too.

Twonks

Registered
Hi and thanks Sonnie.

I'll give it a few days in case John or anybody else knows of the problem.
Failing that I will ask Audiotec Fischer as they are generally very helpful where possible.

If I find anything in the meantime I'll update this thread for others to reference.

EarlK

Windows shows a maximum volume of about 9 percent and I can't see anything to adjust the gain through software in the Windows environment.

-This means I can't use it with the Helix DSP software in my car as I can't get the volume level loud enough to be of any use and I believe it can't be right as there are multiple speakers and around 2000W in total powering the system.

Seems simple enough ( meaning; an easy solution should be in-hand ).

Win10 does have a spot to adjust input levels ( for builtin mics as well as USB mics like my UMIK-1, as seen below ) .

There's a separate spot to adjust output levels.

Win10_SoundC_Capture.PNG

Googling "Win10 sound conrols" should start you off on the right foot.

How-To-Manage_Sound-Settings

:)

Twonks

Registered
Hi. Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I’ve seen that in W10 and used it to determine that the maximum ‘volume’ I got was 9 percent when effectively shouting into the mic.

Adjusting that slider doesn’t appear to make any difference. Not sure why a volume level should be used with a microphone input, would expect to see gain or some reference to input - not output.

Will have a further play in the settings after work and see if it makes any more sense.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Volume is used generically to refer to the level controls for inputs and outputs.

EarlK

Adjusting that slider doesn’t appear to make any difference. Not sure why a volume level should be used with a microphone input, would expect to see gain or some reference to input - not output.

The underlined words suggest that you've simply been adjusting the output slider ( fader ) instead of the input fader.

Twonks

Registered
The underlined words suggest that you've simply been adjusting the output slider ( fader ) instead of the input fader.

Ah shucks :hide:

30 years+ playing with computers and sometimes it takes another to point out the obvious :outstanding:

Many thanks, yes I was moving the wrong slider.
Have now found the input fader, set it to 80%, which made a significant difference.

Will test and set it properly in the car tomorrow.

EarlK

Glad it's all working for you.

Don't feel bad ( it happens to all of us ).

I've been in pro audio since the late 70's and there's definitely times I'd like to plant my foot in the software designers ( you-know-where ) because of bad GUI.

Take Care :)

Top Bottom