Umik-1 clipping at 100dB on Windows11?

Pythagoras

Registered
EDIT:
Somehow it works now. I can change the volume of the microphone under windows settings and REW picks this up and adjusts SPL accordingly.

However.. I don't trust these SPL readings at all. They seem a bit low. (no way to check any other way right now)
Are they trustworthy this way or is this calibration not working well for latest Windows 11 settings? (using MiniDSP calibration file btw)

----------------------

Just got my Umik-1 out of the closet and trying to use it with REW on Windows 11.
Loaded the calibration file.
And I get clipping at probably about 100dB SPL or so. I'm trying to measure a speaker driver with it and this is way too little SPL for me especially for close measurements just a few cm from the driver.

It's the "Umik-1 gain: 18dB".
When I go to Preferences - Calibration data, it says:
0dBFS @ 90 dB FS [ -3.00 ] (greyed out)
Full Scale SPL [ 100.1 ] (greyed out)

Not sure if these numbers are the thing to be looking at.
But how do I lower the gain on the microphone while not messing up accurate SPL readings?
I can do it in Windows under settings and lower the microphone volume from 100 to something lower but then I get a too low SPL reading in REW.

Is this all normal and something I should work around or is there some setting I'm missing here?

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I can change the volume of the microphone under windows settings and REW picks this up and adjusts SPL accordingly.
That's the right thing to do. Best is to set it to the 0dB position (you can right click on the Windows volume control to have it read dB). The REW SPL reading should stay the same though (it may alter briefly as you make the change but should then go back to the same as before the change). Changing the volume should change the clipping threshold if the windows control has gain.

Pythagoras

Registered
That's the right thing to do. Best is to set it to the 0dB position (you can right click on the Windows volume control to have it read dB). The REW SPL reading should stay the same though (it may alter briefly as you make the change but should then go back to the same as before the change). Changing the volume should change the clipping threshold if the windows control has gain.
Thank you for your reply!
I got this part working now (it took a restart of REW for me I think).
But I'm not trusting the SPL readings. They seem low (or I'm measuring an unusually bad driver). Is there any possibility the latest Windows 11 settings have changed in a way that can affect SPL readings in REW?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If changing the Windows volume setting while showing the level of some test signal doesn't change the SPL reading (other than briefly) then things are working properly.

Pythagoras

Registered
If changing the Windows volume setting while showing the level of some test signal doesn't change the SPL reading (other than briefly) then things are working properly.
Ok thank you. Then things are working properly and I have a bad driver.

Top Bottom