UMIK-1 along with ASIO outputs?

I will be using REW to test and set up monitors and subwoofer in my studio, possibly also using a MiniDSP 2x4 balanced for processing and crossover to sub. But before I pull the trigger on hardware, I need to know whether I can make UMIK-1 work in conjunction with the setup that drives my monitors. My studio computer is running Windows 10 LTSC. I use a MOTU 424 pci card with a 2408 MK III for the interface. Normally I am using the ASIO drivers, but I assume REW uses the regular Wave drivers that work with Windows. The question is, will REW (and my system) allow me to use the UMIK-1 as the input device while using the MOTU interface as the output device?

Alternatively, how accurate will readings made using an AKG 451 mic with the standard omni capsule? I'm talking about checking frequency response, not reading absolute SPL levels. I would be using a Presonus Digimax FS for preamp and A/D conversion.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW can use WDM or ASIO drivers, but ASIO does not allow inputs and outputs to come from different devices. That can be worked around by using an ASIO wrapper like FlexASIO or ASIO4All, which make multiple devices appear as a single device that uses ASIO. With the WDM drivers there are no restrictions on different input and output devices, but on Windows the Java runtime only supports stereo channels which can be awkward when using a multichannel interface. Sometimes there are multiple stereo pairs to select from covering all the interface channels, sometimes not. If not the ASIO wrapper route can be used.

The 451 looks to have some low end rolloff and some high end peaking, so the response would typically be a few dB off in those regions.

Top Bottom