Two UMIK-1 mics?

sebna

Registered
Hi All,

I am wondering if it is possible to use two UMIK-1 mics with REW and a PC to speed up measurements?

I know that there is licensed multi-mic version, which is not really meant for multi Umik-1 config but I wonder if I could have two of them in two different positions in the room and just select which one to use for each sweep? That would speed up the process for me immensely.

Thanks

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It is possible to do that, on Windows at least. The OS will change the description of the second mic to distinguish it, e.g. "Microphone (2- Umik-1 Gain 18dB)". Plenty of scope for confusion, mind.

sebna

Registered
It is possible to do that, on Windows at least. The OS will change the description of the second mic to distinguish it, e.g. "Microphone (2- Umik-1 Gain 18dB)". Plenty of scope for confusion, mind.
Thank you John,

When I think about it, would it be possible to run two REW instances one configured with each of the two Mics? That should ease the confusion after initial setup which will be a bit confusing with importing right cal files to right slots :greengrin:

Thanks,
seb

sebna

Registered
What I am also thinking about is rather than using them one in MLP and other in 2nd seat (only two seats that interest me). I could 3D print kind of matrix holder and have two of the Mics on it and possibly 3rd to kind of mimic the measuring method where you are supposed to move mic in circles while measuring.

So 3 Umiks - irregularly grouped in 3 dimensions to emulate the circular movement ?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
would it be possible to run two REW instances one configured with each of the two Mics? That should ease the confusion after initial setup which will be a bit confusing with importing right cal files to right slots
It should be, but I don't think it would be any less confusing. The mic descriptions don't change after Windows initially identifies them so once you work out which is which you can load the correct cal files for them.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
So 3 Umiks - irregularly grouped in 3 dimensions to emulate the circular movement ?
No, that would be a very poor approximation to a spatial average from the moving mic methods. You'd have to move the array repeatedly and take measurements in each position.

sebna

Registered
No, that would be a very poor approximation to a spatial average from the moving mic methods. You'd have to move the array repeatedly and take measurements in each position.
Is the moving of the mic during measurement considered to be a better method? Or is the jury still out on that?

Top Bottom