Two-tone IMD bug?

siarez

Registered
In two-tone IMD measurements, REW frequently fails to detect D3L, D3H and beyond. For example, in the attached image, D3L (7kHz) is clearly above the noise floor, but is not detected.
Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 6.56.22 PM.png

trobbins

VIP Supporter
Is that a custom setup, as default DIN IMD is 250Hz and 8kHz, and the IMD components are 250Hz sidebands of 8kHz ?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The definition of the higher order difference frequencies differ for different signals. For SMPTE, DIN and AES-17 MD d3L = f2 - 2f1. For CCIF and AES-17 DFD d3L = 2f1 - f2 (the various frequencies are tabulated in the help). For custom signals REW uses the DIN/SMPTE definition if f2/f1 is > 7, a somewhat arbitrary threshold, which isn't the case for the signal above. I could change that threshold of course, or use the amplitude ratio instead since modulation distortion signals are usually 4:1. Happy to hear suggestions.

siarez

Registered
@troscat Yes it is a custom setup (screenshot below)
@John Mulcahy Thanks for clarifying. For my use case, treating it like SMPTE/DIN works, so lowering the threshold would do the job.

Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 9.42.41 PM.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I've changed it to use the amplitude ratio for the next build, probably safer than basing it on the frequencies.

siarez

Registered
@John Mulcahy I actually did get what you meant by "using amplitude ratios". But as long as it calculates percentage f2 ± 2f1, f2 ± 3f1, ... , I'll be happy :)

Top Bottom