Tweeter responce ok each channel, bad with both both channels

truwarrior22

Registered
Each speaker, i.e. the first two measurements, the response looks good, but when I measure both speakers at the same time, the tweeter frequency looks horrible. Any suggestions? 2nd measurement of both speakers (purple) was a foot further back. Speakers are Sonus Faber Toy towers hooked up to Marantz in pure direct mode.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That's quite normal, when both speakers play any slight difference in their distance to the mic results in comb filtering, causing peaks and notches in the combined response.

truwarrior22

Registered
That's quite normal, when both speakers play any slight difference in their distance to the mic results in comb filtering, causing peaks and notches in the combined response.
Thanks, I'm just not use to THAT much of a difference. I thought it's more of a low frequency room mode issue. Here's my BP7000SC before I sold them (subs were off). Overall, the higher frequencies very good, but these are bipolar. I did have the BP7000SC on another wall, but same room. I'll check speaker positioning then try again, just not sure what's going to be best to treat this, unless it's just a positioning issue. Seems to be only anything above 5K

Attachments

• BP.jpg
    BP.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 19

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
The reason the BP7000 graph looks so “good” is because it does not have the same vertical scaling as the Sonus graph.

Regards,
Wayne

sam_adams

@Wayne A. Pflughaupt is correct. In fact, the range on the first posted image is 65dB. The range on the second image is 155db. Vertical scaling like that will obscure the details in the graph and make your measurements appear 'better' than they actually are. Set the scaling to be 5db higher than the peak of the measurement at the top and set the bottom of the scale 50bd down from there.

In the case of the first graph, the top would be set at 100db and the bottom set to 50dB. The second graph should have the top of the scale at 75dB and the bottom at 25dB. Using a consistent scaling for your graphs will give a reliable framework to judge the measurements with.

truwarrior22

Registered
The reason the BP7000 graph looks so “good” is because it does not have the same vertical scaling as the Sonus graph.

Regards,
Wayne
My bad, been a while since I used REW. Below is the adjusted scaling. Can see that the response of the highs in each channel is close to the response of both at the same time, just louder.

Top Bottom