Turntables and Vinyl?

GFOviedo

So, I recently just met someone who used to work for Motown back in the days. He is a really cool guy, retired, worked in the education system all of his life aside from working at Motown. Well, you can't believe his vinyl collection. He's got a warehouse full of vinyl. We talked about music and audio equipment, and I was pretty impress how good and detailed vinyl sounds. So, I've got an itch.

I have been looking at turntables, but I never realized how expensive turntables and accessories are. I thought since turntable and vinyl are from the dinosaur era that they would be more to the inexpensive side, but boy was I wrong. I was wondering if anyone who is into this type of equipment can give me some advised where to start. I think it would be cool to have and show my kids about past technology.

Tony V.

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Look at the used market first, lots of people trying to get rid of them. If this is just going to be a show and tell unit without really building a large collection of vinyl look for something thats direct drive with pitch control (the cheaper belt drive turntables are not great)

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Class D Audio: SDS-470CS
Additional Amp
Shellbrook Audio Hybrid Head headphone amp
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Other Speakers or Equipment
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
Welcome to the wonderful world of vinyl!

Personally, I own an Origin Live brand turntable, which is a fantastic company...check out these links for information on quality differences of turntables and cartridges in general. Hopefully this can
jump-start your search : )

https://www.originlive.com/hi-fi/turntable-record-player/ (scroll down past the product descriptions for the info on turntable differences and choosing)

https://www.originlive.com/hi-fi/cartridges-mc-mm/

https://www.originlive.com/key-information/how-to-choose-hi-fi-system/ (I especially like the article 'System Hierarchy and Budget')

Let us all know what your thoughts are! Enjoy!

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Low(er) cost new options
UTurn
Project
Monoprice Monolith

I grew up with vinyl. Bought one last year. Re-discovered all the things I didn’t like about it. Returned the table to amazon.
Clearly many love it though. Having seen and heard some pricey rigs at the Florida audio show just last year I can see the attraction if you’re willing to commit to it.

GFOviedo

Thank you for the suggestions. I have been doing some research, and I have found that this vinyl / turntable hobby can become pretty expensive. More expensive than digital. I have been looking around the used market, and I have found a few turntables between $40 to $220.
I found someone local selling a Fluance RT81 brand new for $225, but I was able to lowered the price to $180, but I am still not sure if I want to buy it. My mom has an old Zenith console that still works. It has a turntable, 8 track and radio in one. All original and the speakers still work. I might end up just messing around with that for now. There are so many options. A guy at work who is into vinyl recommend Linn, Thorens TD124, Garrad 301/401, Acoustic Research XA/XB, Technic SP10 / SP1200. I have looked online for those, and boy they are still expensive.

GFOviedo

Well, I have been doing a lot of thinking and research about cost, and ease of use, and I have decided against going forward with this. I have two children (2 and 5 years old) who get into all of my stuff. I would hate for them to ruin a turntable and LP's. I am going to wait till they are older, and I will be able to buy a more decent set up then. Not for them, but for me since I miss the old-simple days. I suppose is more of a nostalgic feeling / idea than anything else.

Top Bottom