Other Speakers or Equipment
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
Over the winter holiday I was introduced to a vintage pair of circa 1986 Stax SR-Lambda Pro electrostatic headphones. I read some reviews prior to my listening session so I was expecting a little less than stellar sound quality...some said the bass wasn't really there or the highs were a bit shrill/metallic.

Listening to some vinyl recordings of Miles Davis and classical pieces by Jacqueline Du Pre I was absolutely floored at the resolution and dynamic range of these vintage headphones. In fact, the bass response was some of the best deep bass
I've ever listened to from headphones including the top of class Sennheiser HE1. This surprised me since many electrostatic floorstanding speakers definitely benefit from a subwoofer for the lower registers. The mid-range was dreamy smooth and the highs weren't shrill at all. For the headphones being so old I did notice the stator protective covering in the ear cup was a little tarnished like an oxidized metal floor grate. Perhaps the dirty ear cup was acting as a filter of sorts?
The music also had fantastic handling through tougher dynamic range transients due to the electrostatic drivers. A+ headphones if there ever was one : D

Does anyone else have comments regarding the Stax SR-Lambda Pros?

Here's a fun and short review from Stereophile Magazine:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/stax-sr-lambda-pro-headphones

"J. Gordon Holt adds some thoughts: I heard the Pros and I didn't much care for them either.".....are you serious!!?? : )

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
I'd very much like to hear those. I might have heard new Stax at one of the shows, but don't recall for sure.

Nakdoc

More  
Yamaha C85
Main Amp
Kenwood L-07MmkII
Pioneer CLD-79 Pioneer DV-45
Front Speakers
DCM Time Windows
Center Channel Speaker
Ha!
Surround Speakers
zilch
Surround Back Speakers
nada
Front Height Speakers
imaging
Rear Height Speakers
imaging
Subwoofers
a dog named sweetie
Sota Sapphire turntable Nakamichi 680 cassette
Video Display Device
Hitachi CT2066
Streaming Subscriptions
Revox B77, A700 reel
Harmonic and IM distortion are something stupid like 0.1% too, which reveals great details in the music. Electrostats can go as deep as you can hear, but won't play that bass loud. We used to listen to the heartbeat on DSOM through KLH 9s...stunning.

Mike-48

I listened to the newer version of these, or at any rate a Stax model that looks like them, at a recent headphone event. I'm usually not much of a headphone fan. The Stax phones were the only pair I came away wanting. I thought they were stupendous.

JGH was a pioneer, but I haven't always agreed with his evaluations. I still remember my first CD player, a model he liked & that gave me the worst buyer's remorse ever.

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Class D Audio: SDS-470CS
Additional Amp
Shellbrook Audio Hybrid Head headphone amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
I'm curious to try out the newer version. Before the Stax I came from Grado headphones which I still really really enjoy. But, the Stax sounded more like live music to me.

I understand where you're coming from when you mentioned not agreeing with some reviewer evaluations. The Sony Playstation 1 (SCPH 1001) is touted as Class-C or low Class-B (forget the reviewer) from Stereophile. I have a version of the model they evaluated and it sounds absolutely muddy in my opinion : P

Top Bottom