Trinnov Says Latest Acoustic Technology is "a Major Milestone in Our Development," Will Debut at ISE 2023

full?d=1674069636.jpg

(January 18, 2023) Trinnov will arrive at ISE 2023 with a new tool added to its esteemed collection of room optimization technologies. The company is teaming up with Sony, Krix Cyclonix, and Officina Acustica to create a demo room complete with three rows (18 seats in total), a 13.16.6 speaker array, and a 19-foot wide screen, all designed to showcase Trinnov's new and somewhat mysterious "digital sound field control system."

Sixteen subwoofers, you say?

That's correct.

According to Trinnov, it’s a Double Bass Array consisting of sixteen Krix subwoofers – eight at the front of the room and eight in the back – all of which will be used to help "make the room disappear."

2023 marks the 20th anniversary of Trinnov's existence, a milestone that Arnaud Laborie, co-founder and CEO, says "has been an incredible journey." To celebrate, the company is poised to release an acoustic technology that's been in development for the last six years.

“At ISE, we will be demonstrating the technology in an uncompromised environment, delivering the highest possible performance generally expected from Trinnov," explains Laborie. "Although the technology is fully functional, we will first roll it out selectively, based on specific projects, before offering the finalized software as a complimentary upgrade to Altitude16 and Altitude32 owners. We have reached a point where we believe this new technology has the potential to redefine home theater design. It may well set a new standard, and replace today’s best practices.”

The "uncompromised environment" referenced by Laborie is a room designed by long-time partner Officina Acustica. Contained within, Australian speaker manufacturer Krix is providing its MX-40 LCR horn-loaded modules across the front, Hyperhonix 45s for 16 surround and overhead channels, and 18" Cyclonix subwoofers. The entire system is driven by four Trinnov Amplitude-16 amps, with video anchored by Sony's flagship GTZ-380 (a 10,000 lumens projector).

MadVR, Screen Research, Zappiti, Kordz, and SurgeX complete the list of equipment used in this world-class demonstration.

In order to further explain Trinnov's latest creation, Laborie says: "Traditionally, low frequency reproduction is handled through a modal analysis where resonances are identified in the frequency domain. Through our extensive research and unique expertise in 3D acoustic fields, we propose something different. Our disruptive approach seeks to fully understand and control the behavior of the room in all its dimensions (time, frequency and the three dimensions of space) so that resonances are removed almost entirely and without artifacts. The initial wavefront produced by the subwoofers propagates through the room unaltered and pure, as if there were no walls.“

This is certainly an exciting development for Trinnov owners and the enthusiast community at large. Though, it remains to be seen how applicable Trinnov's advancements will be to less than ideal home theater environments. Laborie notes that "decent room acoustics" are required for Trinnov's Optimizer and 3D Loudspeaker Remapping technology to "perform its best," and this latest technology is no different. However, he dangles tremendous optimism by stating "while it will deliver remarkable improvements in most cases, the result will be truly unprecedented with a proper subwoofer implementation in the first place.”

ISE 2023 opens it doors on January 31, with Trinnov's demo room located at the Fira Barcelona Gran Via.

Last edited:

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
According to Trinnov, it’s a Double Bass Array consisting of sixteen Krix subwoofers – eight at the front of the room and eight in the back – all of which will be used to help "make the room disappear."
Put those 16 subwoofers in my place and there’s a lot more than a room that’s going to disappear. :)

Seriously though, I hope this tech works and works on a small home theater scale.

It seems like a great time for new sound improvement tech that really works. I look forward to learning more about Trinnov’s approach.

SRW1000

I can understand the benefits of optimizing a DBA system, but that's going to be kind of a challenge for existing installations. Should be great for new systems designed around it.

Compared to Dirac's new enhancement, this approach would seem to have less appeal unless there's a lot more to "digital sound field control system" than just a DBA optimizer.

It will be interesting to see reporting on the results.

@Todd Anderson ,

Are you flying to ISE to cover it live for us?

Scott

Robert Zohn

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV8802A
Main Amp
Marantz MM8077
Additional Amp
Marantz MM7055
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Front Speakers
Sony AR2 floor standing ES speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Sony SS-NA8ES
Surround Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Surround Back Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Front Height Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Rear Height Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Subwoofers
Velodyne DD18
Other Speakers or Equipment
OPPO UDP-205
Video Display Device
Sony XBR-65A1E, LG C7, Sony VPL-VW5000ES projector
Screen
Da-Lite 133" fixed w/motorized masking
Remote Control
MX-990
Streaming Subscriptions
Matantz PM10, Marantz SA10, Technics SL-1200G TT
We're designing and installing a lot more 2, 3, and 4, sub woofer audio systems in the past 2 years and it's one of the biggest upgrades you can do to enhance your dynamic tonal range and low frequency accuracy that just fills in with the bass audio as needed. 3 and 4 sub woofers has the greatest growth in home theater system designs.

The 3 sub woofer is something that REL specializes in with their 3D (3 subwoofer system the 3rd subwoofer is for the center channel and they unique home theater audio enhancement is the among the most worthy fidelity upgrade you can add to your system.

SRW1000

We're designing and installing a lot more 2, 3, and 4, sub woofer audio systems in the past 2 years and it's one of the biggest upgrades you can do to enhance your dynamic tonal range and low frequency accuracy that just fills in with the bass audio as needed. 3 and 4 sub woofers has the greatest growth in home theater system designs.

The 3 sub woofer is something that REL specializes in with their 3D (3 subwoofer system the 3rd subwoofer is for the center channel and they unique home theater audio enhancement is the among the most worthy fidelity upgrade you can add to your system.
No doubt about adding additional subs, and I have four of them in my own theater.

A proper DBA implementation requires specific setups, though, with precise front and rear placement. (The illustration in the press release is a good example of an optimal arrangement.)

Now if this new enhancement loosens up those placement requirements. . .

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I can understand the benefits of optimizing a DBA system, but that's going to be kind of a challenge for existing installations. Should be great for new systems designed around it.

Compared to Dirac's new enhancement, this approach would seem to have less appeal unless there's a lot more to "digital sound field control system" than just a DBA optimizer.

It will be interesting to see reporting on the results.

@Todd Anderson ,

Are you flying to ISE to cover it live for us?

Scott
Not going to ISE this year… it’s on my radar for the future, but is obviously a huge commitment in time and resources!

Exciting times, folks. We’re living in the AV golden age!

chrapladm

Staff member
They downsized their setup from Australia's showing. 24.10.10 :)

Krix have some great sounding speakers. I have visited the factory a few times for a demo on their commercial cinema products.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
That’s not a manufacturer I’m familiar with… they must not be readily available in the US. Either that, or they are buried deep in the integrator circuit

chrapladm

Staff member
I think Krix has the Austral/Asia market. They are the main source for all commercial cinema speakers. Very similar line up as the commercial Klipsch line up.

SRW1000

They downsized their setup from Australia's showing. 24.10.10 :)

Krix have some great sounding speakers. I have visited the factory a few times for a demo on their commercial cinema products.
Interesting. Will the sub configuration be five in the front and five in the back in an "X" layout?

chrapladm

Staff member
Interesting. Will the sub configuration be five in the front and five in the back in an "X" layout?
They had a few subs up front and, I believe, the rest spread around the room.

This was in 2018. Here is the link to the short Krix video. I believe this year(2018) or a year later they did a collaboration with Trinnov for their first very own processor also. I wish I could have heard that setup. Someday I hope to be able to add Trinnov to my setup.

Also looks like the only Krix item being used here are their subs. Single 18" in large enclosure for high sensitivity.

More  
StormAudio ISP.32 AVB
Main Amp
Digital Amp Company Cherry MEGASchino MONO's
Additional Amp
Digital Amp Company Cherry Maraschino's
HTPC
Front Speakers
JTR Speakers Noesis 215RM
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Front Height Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Subwoofers
4 ea JTR Speakers Captivator S2's
Infinite Baffle - 8 Acoustic Elegance IB15 drivers
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-NX7
Screen
Seymour AV Retractable CenterStage XD
. . . Also looks like the only Krix item being used here are their subs. Single 18" in large enclosure for high sensitivity.
From the Trinnov newsletter:
"All loudspeakers and subwoofers are provided by the Australian manufacturer Krix. The screen channels are comprised of Krix’s MX-40 LCR modules. These 3-way, bi-amped speakers feature Krix’s patented horn design, providing a uniform, constant directivity pattern, improved frequency response and extremely low distortion.

Krix’s most versatile surround speaker, the Hyperphonix 45, will be used in sixteen surround and overhead positions around the room to place viewers in the middle of the action.

The Double Bass Array consists of sixteen Cyclonix 18” subwoofers – eight at the front of the room and eight at the back. The immense output available, paired with Trinnov’s latest technology, is sure to provide a unique and visceral experience."

More  
StormAudio ISP.32 AVB
Main Amp
Digital Amp Company Cherry MEGASchino MONO's
Additional Amp
Digital Amp Company Cherry Maraschino's
HTPC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Front Height Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Subwoofers
4 ea JTR Speakers Captivator S2's
Infinite Baffle - 8 Acoustic Elegance IB15 drivers
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-NX7
Screen
Seymour AV Retractable CenterStage XD

chrapladm

Staff member
Thanks for the correction. Lots of firepower for such small mains. :) I looked at getting some Krix 5920's for my media area. BUT, I am into DIY overkill. But I am really liking that main wall of bass. May have to do something similar. Will also have to have a look and listen to their Hyperphonix 45. May have to add them to my space in the future.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Not much information is out there at the moment... it is a bit curious that so many subs are being used in the demo!

Lincoln One Echo

German introduction then English interview with David Meyerovitz on requirements and timescales . I must say that I thought Trinnov , on the software front , were quite poor last year . No sign of latest DSU , no improvements to signal-lock or format change , no meaningful improvements for the OSD ,HDMI 2.1 ( probably supply shortage ) and no solution to the lack of +4 outputs on an all-digital system which was promised last year . With another full year of beta work to go on the DBA software before release there have only been very slim pickings for anyone without room for 16 subs ! ;)

M

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Thanks for posting that video. This system, or algorithm, is definitely interesting. Certainly complex… and it doesn’t appear to have a mass market application… yet.

Top Bottom