Translating Crossover Width (1 octave, 2 octave, etc.) to common DB/octave Parlance

mccarty350

Anyone have a guideline or a reference to be able to translate the nomenclature that we use in audiolense for crossover width into something more conventional like DB/octave for easier mental consumption and consumption of DIY audio reference materials on crossover designs using more common terminology?

Omid

AFAIK, Audiolense’s crossovers do not follow the conventional slopes. If you look at the graph you’ll see that it’s not a straight line with a slope of 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB / octave, but a curve.

mccarty350

I noticed that but the bell didn't go off until you said it, thanks for pointing it out.

Omid

I noticed that but the bell didn't go off until you said it, thanks for pointing it out.
I guess there is no need to follow regular crossover rules when you can ensure perfect summation and timing between drivers ;-)
The other advantage of the steeper cutoffs is that you suppress woofer resonances above the Xover freq very well. Regular crossovers don’t always attenuate them well enough to be inaudible.

mccarty350

I know it! Why follow analog limitations? I find that when I have a steeper crossover I get an increase in dynamics/immediacy but once you get down to 1 octave or below you start having scenarios where it starts to sound processed or at least that has been my observation. As you start to go up past 2 octaves it starts feeling 'thinner' and 'more diffuse' is my other.

kevinzoe

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium preamp
Main Amp
PS Audio BHK Signature 250 stereo amp
Additional Amp
Valve Amplification Company 30/30 Renaissance
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
exaSound e48 (8 channels)
Front Speakers
Acoustic Zen Crescendos
Subwoofers
Pair of Rythmik F15's
Other Equipment
Cables by: TEO Audio, Cardas and AudioSensibility
McCarty350 - I asked myself the exact same question and did some experimentation and came up with the following which should answer your question (or mostly answer it . . .)
> 1st order (6dB) = 6.5 - 7.5 AL width
> 2nd order (12dB) = 3.8 - 4.3 AL width
> 3rd order (18dB) = 3.0 AL width
> 4th order (24dB) = 2.6 AL width
These values will align with the conventional analog type filters 1 octave beyond the xover frequency but the shape of the AL curve deviates away from the straight line curve so they won't align 2+ octaves out from the Xover point.

mccarty350

Kevin, you rock. I'm so glad to see at least some type of close analogy to what our slopes are. Getting an idea at least helps.

I very very often find out that two octaves is the sweet spot for many of my speakers and configurations (I'm constantly swapping drivers and enclosures).

Top Bottom