Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Transformers: Limited Edition 6-Movie Collection

front.jpg
Movie: :3stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :5stars:
Extras: :4.5stars:
Final Score: :3.5stars:

WARNING: THE SCORES ABOVE ARE A COMBINED SCORE FROM ALL 6 FILMS, THE INDIVIDUAL SCORES ARE CONTAINED BELOW IN THE INDIVIDUAL SECTIONS OF THE REVIEW

AV NIRVANA is member and reader-supported. When you purchase an item using our links, we might earn an affiliate commission.

1.jpg
Movie

Being a child of the 1980s, I was the perfect audience for the live action Transformers films, and happily ate them up like deep fried bologna in a wonder bread sandwich. I can still remember 26 year old me dragging my young bride with me to the theaters to watch the first film, and literally being as giddy as I possibly could be. It had exactly what I wanted. Dumb humans, autobots blowing stuff up, and Michael Bay barely containing himself on screen. No one ever thought that Transformers was anything other than what it was. A big dumb action extravaganza that was meant to pander to the lowest of common denominators. But that didn’t mean that I wasn’t going to watch the snot out of it, or use that Ironhide “flip shot” scene to demo my subwoofer builds for years to come.

Then came the writers strike and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen happened. A jumbled mess of a narrative that made even the first film look good. Happily Bay regained his “glory” with the 3rd film (Alan Tudyk as Dutch was worth the price of admission alone), and it was a sort of self contained trilogy. Shia was having his mental breakdowns, Meghan Fox was out of the series, and fans were content with how the series wrapped up. THEEEN came the word that Bay was offered too much money to ignore, and came back with Age of Extiction and The Last Knight nearly back to back. Both films made even Revenge of the Fallen look amazing, but were still an absolute orgy of destruction and pretty colors, so they made more money than god himself could muster. Only for The Last Knight to pretty much put the nail in the franchise’s coffin (I actually lost brain cells watching that movie).

Oh, you though it was over? Lol, this is Transformers!! it’s never over! Well, at least the Michael Bay era was over, and Paramount thought it would be a good idea to soft reboot the series with Bumblebee, a well meaning (and actually decent film) flick that was not a massive success, but gained a lot of goodwill among fans who were just worn out with the previous two Bay films. And of course with Paramount’s release of Transformers 7 on the horizon, It’s not a shocker that we see a massive 6 film franchise 4K release.

All of the Transformers films have gotten the 4K UHD treatment back in 2017 (2018 for Bumblebee as day and date), but it looks like Paramount has gone out of their way to make a really great set of steelbooks for this boxset. Usually I expect the bare minimum from studios in these re releases, tossing a film onto steelbook and leaving it at that. But Paramount has actually done a really good job with this set. Not only has each film gotten a steelbook release with custom artwork, but the entire thing is housed in a massive chipboard folding outer box that is reminiscent of the days of old when collector’s editions were an actual thing. The disc are naturally the same discs as found in the 4K UHD individual releases back in 2017, but transferred to the new packaging, and I’m actually rather impressed. The entire thing flows together nicely, with great looking steelbooks, and a snazzy box that really compliments it.

My only complaints are going to stem from the fact that we don’t get any new extras this go around. As stated, these are the exact same discs and same extras as found on the 4K UHD discs, and the Blu-ray discs of old. It would have been nice to have more extras, but in this day an age, studios have pretty much given up on making tons and tons of extras. It is what it is. The last nad final piece is the one thing that makes me wanna hold onto my 2017 4K UHD discs, and that is Paramount’s 2022 and above strategy of eliminating the feature film Blu-ray. The 4K UHD sets from 2017 were all 3 disc sets, with a 4K UHD disc, a Blu-ray feature film disc, and a special features Blu-ray disc. These new sets were reduced to 2 disc sets, with the 4K UHD feature film, and the Blu-ray special features disc. I know that it’s not the end of the world here, but being that spent so much time and effort on making a great set of cases, and the chipboard outer box and making everything PERFECT, that we don’t get the same Blu-ray feature film disc that was included in the original 4K UHD singles (except for Bumblebee. Bumblebee was never a 3 disc set, but a 2 disc set, so it is cloned directly as is). Again, it’s a minor gripe, but as this is definitely geared towards the collector’s market, It just chaps my buns that we didn’t get the Blu-ray disc, or even a slot to include our old Blu-ray feature film disc in the set.

2.jpeg
For indivdual film synopsis you can check out the 4K UHD disc reviews below

Transformers

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Transformers: Age of Extinction

Transformers: The Last Knight

Bumblebee

Rating:

Not Rated by the MPAA

Video: :4.5stars:
3.jpeg
For indivdual Video Breakdowns you can check out the 4K UHD disc reviews below

Transformers

Bumblebee

Audio: :5stars:
4.jpg
For indivdual Audio Reviews you can check out the 4K UHD disc reviews below

Transformers

Bumblebee

Extras: :4.5stars:
5.jpeg
TRANSFORMERS
Disc 1 - 4K UHD
• Commentary by director Michael Bay
Disc 2 - Blu-ray
• Our World
• Their War
• More Than Meets The Eye

TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN
• The Human Factor: Exacting Revenge of the Fallen
• A Day with Bay: Tokyo
• 25 Years of TRANSFORMERS
• NEST: TRANSFORMER Data Hub
• Deconstructing Visual Bayhem
• Deleted/Alternate Scenes
• The AllSpark Experiment
• Giant Effing Movie
• Linkin Park – New Divide
• The Matrix of Marketing

TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON
• Above and Beyond: Exploring Dark of the Moon
• Uncharted Territory: NASA’s Future Then and Now
• Deconstructing Chicago: Multi-Angle Sequences
• The Art of Cybertron
• The Dark of the Moon Archive
• The Matrix of Marketing

TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION
• Bay on Action
• Evolution Within Extinction—The Making of TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION
• Just Another Giant Effin’ Movie
• A Spark of Design
• T.J. Miller: Farm Hippie
• Trailers

TRANSFORMERS: THE LAST KNIGHT
• Merging Mythologies
• Climbing the Ranks
• The Royal Treatment: TRANSFORMERS in the UK
• Motors and Magic
• Alien Landscape: Cybertron
• One More Giant Effin’ Movie

BUMBLEBEE
• Feature Film
• Sector 7 Archive
• Deleted and Extended Scenes
• Outtakes
• Bee Vision: The TRANSFORMERS Robots of Cybertron
• Bringing BUMBLEBEE to the Big Screen

Final Score: :3.5stars:

None of the Transformers films are exactly jaw dropping cinematic quality. They’re all popcorn movies, with some being more entertaining (palatable) than the rest. Personally I felt the series should have wrapped up with the 3rd Bay flick, but Bumblebee was surprisingly entertaining for what it was. Paramount has gone (almost) all out with the new repackaging, adding in some great steelbook art, a great collector’s case, but a couple of minor flaws through in (regarding the elimination of 1 of the 3 discs from previous releases), but all all this is a VERY nice boxset for us collectors.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox, Mark Wahlberg, Stanley Tucci, Kelsey Grammar
Directed by: Michael Bay (1-5), Travis Knight (Bumblebee)
Written by: Various
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1/1.90:1/1.78:1 HEVC
Audio:
Transformers - Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core), English, French (Canadian), Spanish, Portuguese DD 5.1, English DD 2.0
Transformers: Rise of the Fallen - Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core), English, French (Canadian), Spanish, Portuguese DD 5.1, English DD 2.0
Tranformers: Dark of the Moon - Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core), English, French (Canadian), Spanish, Portuguese DD 5.1, English DD 2.0
Transformers: Age of Extinction - Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core), English, French (Canadian), Spanish, Portuguese DD 5.1, English DD 2.0
Transformers: The Last Knight - Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core), English, French (Canadian), Spanish, Portuguese DD 5.1, English DD 2.0
Bumblebee - Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core), Czech, Spanish (Latin), Spanish (Castilian), French (Canada), French (Parisian), Italian, Hungarian, Polish, Portuguse, Russian, Thai, Turkigh DD 5.1
Subtitles:
Transformers - English, English SDH, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Transformers: Rise of the Fallen - English, English SDH, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Tranformers: Dark of the Moon - English, English SDH, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Transformers: Age of Extinction - English, English SDH, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Transformers: The Last Knight - English, English SDH, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Bumblebee - English, English SDH, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Arabic, Cantonese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Korean, Malay, Mandarin (Simplified), Norwegian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Swedish, Thai, Turkish
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Rated: PG-13 (all 6 films)
Runtime: 881 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: May, 30th, 2023
image.png

Recommendation: Popcorn Fun, very good set.

Last edited:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I agree, good dumb, leave your mind at the door, just enjoy the destruction films. :)

Top Bottom