Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
I recently went to see Avengers in the theater yesterday. Movie was great but my problem was with the theater itself. I know folks complain about audience members talking, etc. But, what is your negative experience with theaters themselves?

1. The screen had a quarter size coin hole in the middle top.. Which is very annoying since I could spot it whenever daylight scenes were shown. Of course, dark scenes you can't see it but still.. Very irritating to say the least.

2. Speakers are not loud. Could barely hear the dialog...

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I saw A Quiet Place a few weeks ago... image was completely washed out to the point that dark scenes (a huge part of the movie) were difficult to properly see.. Drove me nuts!

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
When I go to the theater, and see a problem... I notify the workers, and if it is not fixed I then go to the manager, and notify them. I usually get free tickets for my time. In general my complaints are about the format of the screen. An example is I can see bars on the bottom of the screen, and sometimes even on the sides. If I wanted to see black bars, i would watch it at home on my FP j stead kf wasting my money at the theater.

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Theatres up here tend to run the sound on the soft side and never enough bass. I only go becaus my wife insists on seeing blockbuster movies when they come out otherwise I would wait till it comes out on video.

Tonto

More  
Yamaha RXV-795a
X-Box 1s
Front Speakers
Chane A5rx-c's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2rx-c
Surround Speakers
A1rx-c's
Surround Back Speakers
A1rx-c's
Subwoofers
SVS PB13U
APC S15
Video Display Device
Samsung Smart TV
Streaming Subscriptions
Yamaha S796 DVD Player
Yep, the last one I went to, the screen had about a 1 ft flaw. Looked like a bubble in it. Very irritating. They did put in power recliners, but they are not comfortable!

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
I did mention to the staff about the hole in the screen but they were not really that interested and one even told me it was there for a year.. I did email the company as well as fill out a survey complaining but of course, no response. I will not go back..

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
I haven't had a good experience in a movie theater in years. The image is almost always awful.

They think by adding pizza and beer they're making things better. How about fixing the things that affect the film?

JBrax

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Marantz sr7010
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung K8500
Front Speakers
Klipsch rf-7 II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch rc-64 II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch rs-42 II
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD (X2)
Panamax M5300
Video Display Device
Sony Bravia XBR65-930D
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony One
Streaming Subscriptions
PS4
I’ll offer a counterpoint to everyone’s complaints. When I do go which is seldom we go to Dolby Prime movies. The experience is always outstanding with a great A/V experience. While expensive it’s worth the price of admission.

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Yeah, I guess, we pay for what we get.. :)

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I’ll offer a counterpoint to everyone’s complaints. When I do go which is seldom we go to Dolby Prime movies. The experience is always outstanding with a great A/V experience. While expensive it’s worth the price of admission.

What Dolby is doing with the Dolby Prime cinemas is the same thing THX set out to do but has fallen flat as of late. set standards to ensure everyone gets the same great experience. This post just shows how critical the THX and now Dolby model is.

I’ve been researching a future tech article on volume levels in theaters. The reason volume is down is because people have complained about the volume levels being too loud. Theaters are now under attack by family groups and hearing protection lobbying groups who believe cinemas are dangerously loud. All of this spurred by recent complaints from consumers about the sound being annoyingly and uncomfortably loud. One group did a study and found cinemas were exceeding 118dbs at some seating locations.

The problem is that this hearing protection group and consumers are wrong! I feel absolutely confident in saying that. First, because 118dB was measured C weighted with a movie using a dosing meter. The fact that they hit 118dBC is not shocking, but they fail to understand a key point, that was very likely bass, and 118dB is not dangerous at bass frequencies. It’s only modestly dangerous at higher frequencies, especially since it was a a peak. It’s also possible that the 118dB was an LCPeak value, meaning unfiltered and instantaneous peak. If that is the case, it’s of trivial value in understanding dangers to hearing.

Further, consumer complaints are largely and likely caused by a different effect. Studies into modern soundtracks have found that they are now louder and more dynamic than in the past. The move toward digital alone suddenly added 10db’s to the dynamic peaks being measured in soundtracks. Loudness wars have entered movies in an odd way where sound engineers are now mixing soundtracks and effects at the limits of what is allowed in the standards. That means a highly compressed music soundtrack might be layered in so it plays back at 100db average, because why not. Well 100db music is pretty loud (and in fact in dolby theaters it can now be much louder than this).

Studies into all this began to surmise that distortion might be the culprit. While the ol’ 105dB peak output of each LCR speaker at 1/3rd back has existed for decades, the reality was that the vast majority of cinema speakers can barely hit that value. The lack of a reasonable distortion threshold for that number also means that many may have met that number in its dreams. One study noted that while THX had distortion thresholds, very few theaters are THX certified these days and SMPTE does not. It’s well known that distortion from overdriven speakers (frequently a lot of odd harmonics) is irritating. We tend to turn it down even if we don’t recognize it as distortion. Sure enough a study group went into a bunch of theaters and found that many of the speakers distorted audibly (and of course measurably) near the limit.

So I conclude that people aren’t complaining because it’s too loud in absolute terms. I think the volume levels are fine. It’s because the systems are being driven beyond their comfortable limits. Unfortunately many theaters likely have speakers that are too old, too small for the room, and driven by too little power. It makes what THX tried to do more important than ever. What Dolby and AMC have done is great, but we need this to be universal across the board. Accepted and followed standards.

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
The only good regular theater experience I had was a Star Wars film that came out a couple of years ago, Was a bit too loud and the fancy curved screen cut off the edges of the movie, but there were nice recliners. Typically, the projectors are too dim, the sound is terrible and sometimes the focus is off.

One time my friends and I went to catch the premiere of Rush "Time Stands Still", it was streamed to select theaters. Only the left side speakers were working and the volume was cranked to try and compensate. One of my friends (a Canadian!) left in disgust. I went out and complained twice and the volume was adjusted unsatisfactorily. The third time I went out, the manager handed me a walkie-talkie so that we could dial in the volume to a reasonable level. My friends gasped when I came back with the radio, lol. Finally we got it adjusted to a level that made speech intelligible, and I got two free tickets for another time.

The best experience I ever had was at the Henry Doorly Zoo THX theater in Omaha. Outstanding performance and I can't wait to go again.

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Standards are indeed lacking in many theaters unfortunately.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
The only good regular theater experience I had was a Star Wars film that came out a couple of years ago, Was a bit too loud and the fancy curved screen cut off the edges of the movie, but there were nice recliners. Typically, the projectors are too dim, the sound is terrible and sometimes the focus is off.

One time my friends and I went to catch the premiere of Rush "Time Stands Still", it was streamed to select theaters. Only the left side speakers were working and the volume was cranked to try and compensate. One of my friends (a Canadian!) left in disgust. I went out and complained twice and the volume was adjusted unsatisfactorily. The third time I went out, the manager handed me a walkie-talkie so that we could dial in the volume to a reasonable level. My friends gasped when I came back with the radio, lol. Finally we got it adjusted to a level that made speech intelligible, and I got two free tickets for another time.

The best experience I ever had was at the Henry Doorly Zoo THX theater in Omaha. Outstanding performance and I can't wait to go again.

I’m sure it was great because it was THX. Your story is exactly the story of why THX was founded. I’m not a THX fanboy but I totally get and respect what they’ve done. I wish the idea caught on more.

If you have a chance, check out an AMC Dolby Prime Theater. The entire experience is standardized with custom state of the art equipment. Everything will be the best you have ever seen in a cinema. The Dolby Vision HDR image is the most believable HDR projected image I’ve ever seen. No worries about being too dim. They’ve also spaced the speakers to hit unbelievably high levels without distortion. Assuming the films are not mixed to the limit then the systems have a lot more headroom now. It’s a similar concept to what imax did.

Top Bottom