The Play-Fi Headphones App Turns Your Smartphone Into a Wireless Listening Device
(June 27, 2018) Let’s set the stage. It’s late. You want to watch a favorite flick while your better half drifts to sleep, so you turn down the volume and settle in for a late night. She’s happy, but you’re left using your eyes more than your ears as you strain to hear important dialog and the impact of action on the screen. Frustration builds, but your options are all but limited. Or should we say “were limited,” because DTS might just have the answer for your quiet-time entertainment needs.
Yesterday, the audio solutions company announced its all-new DTS Play-Fi Headphones app for iOS devices (an Android version is expected to be released early July). Billed as a “companion app” for select DTS Play-Fi products, the app allows media fans to stream audio direct from any Play-Fi supported product to headphones connected to a handheld device. The entire process utilizes Wi-Fi, staying in perfect synchronization with video content for ultra-discrete realism.
Owners simply need to connect a source to a compatible Play-Fi product and up to four users can use their preferred device to join a listening session, enjoying everything from TV audio to music sourced from a CD player or music service. And to add a more personalized experience, each listener maintains the ability to set volume levels and join listening sessions at the time of their choosing.
While the DTS Play-Fi ecosystem currently offers more than 200 speakers, sound bars, streaming boxes, and the like, the Play-Fi Headphones app is only functional with 15 products at launch. Here’s a list:
If your preferred product isn’t on the list, don’t fret. DTS says that more app friendly products will launch throughout the year.
- Definitive Technology W Studio Micro sound bar
- Klipsch Gate receiver, PowerGate amplifier, RSB-8 sound bar, RSB-14 sound bar, RW-1 speaker, "The Capitol Three" speaker, and "The Three" speaker
- McIntosh MB50 streaming audio player
- Onkyo Smart Speaker G3
- Paradigm PW LINK pre-amplifier
- Phorus PS10 speaker
- Pioneer Elite Smart Speaker F4
- Polk Omni S6 speaker and SB1+ sound bar
- Todd Anderson News Editor / Reviewer/ Senior AdminStaff MemberThread Starter
- Jan 20, 2017
- Likes Received:
- Balt/Wash Metro
AV Equipment List
- Yamaha RX-A3050
- Emotiva XPA-5
- OPPO UDP-203
- SVS Ultra Towers
- SVS Ultra Center
- SVS Ultra Surround
- SVS Ultra Bookshelf
- SVS Prime Elevation
- dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
- Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
- JVC RS520
- LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, OPPO Sonica
- SVS Prime Elevation
- Carada Cine-White 0 gain