The Matrix: Resurrections

Movie: :2.5stars:
4K Video: :4.5stars:
Video: :3.5stars:
Audio: :4.5stars:
Extras: :3.5stars:
Final Score: :3.5stars:

Movie

This seems to be the time for nostalgia and memberberries. I’m honestly wondering if I’m just waking up to the phenomenon, or whether it has been this prevalent for years. We’re watching film makers go back to the “glory days” en masse, pulling from the past wins in order to infuse new life into modern day films. We saw it with things like X-Men: Days of Future Past, then with The Force Awakens, and now it seems to be picking up steam as movies like Spiderman: No Way Home does the same thing, and now 15+ years later we get another Matrix. Well, at least something that sort of half way, kinda, in a round about way features characters we knew from The Matrix, and with only half of the creative powers behind the original trilogy.

Let me say this first. I consider The Matrix to be one of the most influential movies of the 21st century (well, technically the last year of the 20th, but whatever). It has influenced sci-fi and action movies in such a powerful way that the cinematic landscape was never the same. Something as simple as bullet time was copied, re-copied, and homaged in dozens of films over the years, and the influence of mind and machine together in a dystopian digital world has trickled down even 22 years later. It was also a film that was perfectly self contained and could stand on it’s own two feet. However, the duo tried to strike gold once more with Reloaded, and while it expanded the world of the The Matrix and Zion a bit further, was considered a mild disappointment. Then the 3rd film was even less critically acclaimed, although I actually liked that one more than Reloaded. It wasn’t as ambitious, but it was a fun climax to the saga of man vs. machine.

Now, 18 years later, Lana Wachowski decided to resurrect the franchise (and most likely part of the reason for the name of this movie) and it is by far one of the most bizarre creations I’ve ever seen. We open up with a character by the name of Bugs (Jessica Henwick) watching a re-enactment of the Trinity vs. Agents scene from the very opening of The Matrix. Puzzlingly enough, things don’t go exactly as we remember it, causing Bugs to realize that something is VERY wrong. Turns out that this is what the movie calls a “modal”, otherwise known as a simulation within the NEW matrix where programs can be tested and adjusted before going out into the real world. As the plot unfolds we find one Thomas Anderson (Keanu Reeves), no longer remembering that he is really Neo, an aging video game designer. He’s made three video games known as “The Matrix Trilogy” that revolutionized the world, but he suffers from psychotic episodes where he believes that he was PART of those video games.

Yeah, you guessed it. Neo is back in the matrix once more (or to be precise, the NEW matrix after the end of Revolutions) and his memory is being held in check in a different way. Instead of allowing humanity to live their lives, and Neo in particular, he’s being treated like a psych patient under the care of his psychiatrist (Neil Patrick Harris) and made to believe that the memories that they couldn’t erase was just his mind playing tricks on him. A curse of an eccentric artist if you will. Well It seems that his subconscious has encoded new characters, old friends, and is actually adjusting the code of the Matrix itself. But once Bugs and Morpheus (played by Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) who is just a computer program that Mr. Anderson created (the real morpheus is dead decades ago) bring Neo back to the real world. A world that has moved on from the War of Zion vs. the Machines, and created a new city where factions of the machines and humans live in peace. But there is one caveat to this whole peaceful extraction of Neo. Trinity is also back there in the new Matrix, and Neo is NOT about to let her stay there.

One thing you have to understand before you see the movie, is that Resurrections is incredibly meta. Like I’m talking way more meta than even New Nightmare on Elm Street. It cracks jokes about the original trilogy, one of the character makes milf jokes even, and they even wink and nod about the video game industry being forced to make a sequel to the video game trilogy by Warner Brothers. Not to mention Lana literally SLATHERS the screen with actual footage from the original trilogy as a way to drive her point home. Also, none of the characters feel authentic except Neo and Trinity. The Matrix had texture, a sense of feel, and a tone that was unmistakable. There was a reason that the movies were considered so influential. They were utterly unique in story and tone and feel. This just feels extremely dull and sterile. I can't wrap my brain around the fact that this is a new Matrix and thus doesn’t have to look green or gray like the original 3, but after watching the movie twice I have to say that it feels NOTHING like the original movies by its texture. Shot digitally it’s overly glossy and even the special effects don’t feel the same. The movements, the bullet time, the special effects all feel like someone watched the original trilogy and then tried to recreate the movies without any of the original effects or processes at their disposal. The result is a movie that seems to feel LIKE the original, but can’t seem to quite make it.

The same can be said for the characters as well. Supposedly Lawrence Fishbourne wasn’t even approached to make a come back, which is kind of weird, and Hugo Weaving had too much on his plate to return as Agent Smith. The sad result is something that feels like a knockoff. And this has nothing to do with the acting ability of Yahya Abdul Mateen II or Jonathon Groff (who plays the new Smith). It has more to do with the fact that Hugo Weaving is absolutely incredible and replacing him as Smith is just undoable. What he could do with a word, a smile, or a raise of the eyebrow just feels impossible with new actors. The same thing with faux machine Morpheus (which was hilariously bad from a story perspective). It’s just not that great.

Then there comes the massive spoiler moment. Trinity and Neo themselves. Keanu and Carrie Ann have great chemistry on screen and it’s really REALLY nice to see them back in the saddle. Unfortunately it seemed like both actors really winced getting through there lines, and for good reason. The dialog is absolutely cringe worthy. Especially when it’s revealed through a convoluted loop of events that Neo isn’t really the one here, but rather he and Trinity TOGETHER are “the one”. Something which is almost a parody of itself in the end scene with both of them flying around in leather trench coats. Which brings me to my last sad note. That being the fight choreography. The lack of Yuen-Woo Ping is a HUGE blow, as he was such an incredible fight director that basically molded the style of fighting in the original trilogy. Whoever did the choreography here fell far short, as not a single fight in the entire movie felt anything less than a generic movie fight for a DTV film.

Part of me really wants to like the movie. The Matrix was such an indelible part of my teenage and early adult years, and still is one of my favorite movies of all time. I don’t mean to be mean to Lana Wachowski, but I think Lilly Wachowski was right for not coming back and stating that the intellectual property needed to stay buried. It doesn't help that there is a lot of controversy over whether it's underperforming at the box office was due to the day and date release on HBO Max or not. But whatever the reason, Resurrections had a VERY hard time at the box officer and I'm not exactly shocked after watching it.

Rating:

Rated R for violence and some language

4K Video: :4.5stars: Video: :3.5stars:
The Matrix Resurrections has a stunning 2160p transfer with a near perfect score given to it. The film is 100% all digital, shot in natural lighting, and as a result looks jaw dropping. Clarity is razor sharp and clean with great details on everything from backgrounds, clothing, to faces. Honestly the Red Monstro/Komodo and Ranger cameras were PERFECT for getting the most out of the image that they had and the lighting used. My only real complaint is simply aesthetic and 100% personal. It can look so sharp, so clean, and so crips that it loses the texture and feeling that the original 3 films had. Colors are deep and rich, especially when compared against the Blu-ray which isn’t even in the same ball park. The blue hair on bugs literally pops off the screen, as does every dark bit of pleather and shadow in the world of the Matrix. It’s just an AMAZING looking film in every technical aspect you can think of. I saw a flicker of banding maybe twice on the 4K disc an almost no noise to speak of. Outside of looking almost clinical in it’s perfection, there is nary a thing I can say bad about the disc.

Audio: :4.5stars:
The English Dolby Atmos track (found on both the Blu-ray and the 4K UHD) is a great mix, albeit just like the rest of the film, rather foreign when compared to the original. This is a heavy action oriented track, so expect lots of bass, good surrounds, and really nice vocals. The only thing that really made me raise an eyebrow was simply how different it was to the rest of the franchise. Much like the movie itself, it feels very well done technically, but texturally lakes that sound and feel that we’re used to. The bass is great, but never gets into that thundering and roaring pant flapping moments such as the “What do you want?” scene from Revolution, or the pulse from the hover ships that we were used to. That being said, this is not a bad track at all. It’s just DIFFERENT. The Atmos is truly great, with a really light and nimble sound to it as things jump from one end of the soundscape to the next. Bass may be tamped down a bit (but not too tamped, that scene where Smith puts Neo through a wall in the battel with the exiles is a solid hitter), but it’s a very balanced feel, and the dialog is boosted ever so slightly, making them an integral part of the mix. Despite feeling foreign to fans of the original trilogy, Resurrections sports an incredibly effective Atmos mix that is top tier.

Extras: :3.5stars:
DOLBY ATMOS AUDIO TRACK
• No One Can Be Told What The Matrix Is
• Resurrecting The Matrix
• Neo x Trinity: Return to the Matrix
• Allies + Adversaries: The Matrix Remixed
• Matrix for Life
• The Matrix Reactions
-- Echo Opening
-- Deus Ex Machina
-- Welcome to IØ
-- Bullet Time Redux
-- Morpheus vs Neo
-- Exiles Fight
-- Neo vs Smith
-- The San Fran Chase
-- The San Fran Jump

Final Score: :3.5stars:

The Matrix: Resurrections is one of the most disappointing feature films of 2021. The movie had some good ideas, and some interesting takes on a new matrix, but the execution makes Matrix: Reloaded look like a masterpiece. Nothing about the production feels anything connected to the old movies at all (in tone, feel, or visual aesthetics) and while they setup the film for a possible 5th movie, I’m BEGGING Warner Brothers and Lana to let the series die with what little dignity it has left. The original trilogy was decent to GREAT (for the first one), but this just hurt to watch in many way. Partially because I so desperately wished this would at least be good, even if it couldn’t be great. However, Warner's 4K UHD disc is nothing short of stunning. It may have some visual aesthetics that some older viewers may not like when comparing to the originals, but is a fantastic sounding and looking disc.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Keanu Reeves, Carrie Ann Moss, Jonothan Groff, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Neil Patrick Harris, Jessica Henwick, Jada Pinkett Smith
Directed by: Lana Wachowski
Written by: Lana Wachowski, David Mitchell, Aleksander Hemon
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 HEVC
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core), German, Italian Dolby Atmos, French (Canadian), Spanish (Latin) DD 5.1
Subtitles: Canadian French, Danish, English SDH, Finnish, German, Italian, Latin Spanish, Norwegian, Parisian French, Swedish
Studio: Warner Brothers
Rated: R
Runtime: 149 minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: March 8th, 2022

Recommendation: Disappointing

Last edited:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Oh, Michael. I tried watching this on HBO Max when it was first released. I was out like a light within 15-20 minutes and woke up during the credits. Based on what I watched... and your review... that will be my only experience with this one. Majorly disappointing!

Epoxy1

More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
ATI NCore AT527NC
Additional Amp
ATI NCore AT624NC
Panasonic DP-UB420
Front Speakers
M&K S150
Center Channel Speaker
M&K S150
Surround Speakers
M&K SS150
Surround Back Speakers
M&K SS150
Front Height Speakers
Atlantic Technology OBA-6
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PC-Ultra, SVS SB3000, JBL d110 x2, HSU 15H-MK2
MiniDSP controlling all of the subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC RS2000
Screen
110" Stewart Firehawk G5 2.35:1
Remote Control
URC MX-980
Streaming Subscriptions
Roku Ultra, TiVo Edge
I've had this sitting on my desk all week and I just can't find the motivation to pop it into my player and take the time to watch it. I have extremely low expectations, that's for sure.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
I think that you're too generous with your final scores! This one should be 2.5 tops. :bigsmile:

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
I think that you're too generous with your final scores! This one should be 2.5 tops. :bigsmile:

That's the curse when the specs on the disc are too good..they offset the awfulness of the film lol

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
Throw more weight into the film and less at the specs. :scratchhead:

Epoxy1

More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
ATI NCore AT527NC
Additional Amp
ATI NCore AT624NC
Panasonic DP-UB420
Front Speakers
M&K S150
Center Channel Speaker
M&K S150
Surround Speakers
M&K SS150
Surround Back Speakers
M&K SS150
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PC-Ultra, SVS SB3000, JBL d110 x2, HSU 15H-MK2
MiniDSP controlling all of the subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC RS2000
Screen
110" Stewart Firehawk G5 2.35:1
Remote Control
URC MX-980
Streaming Subscriptions
Roku Ultra, TiVo Edge
Finally got up the nerve to watch it and actually liked it. Scored it 3.25/5. My wife gave it 3.5 and my son 3/5...I split the difference :)

I thought the concept was better constructed than the second and third films, but the editing could have been tightened up a lot to keep the pacing where it needed to be. I thought Neil Patrick Harris was amazing with his role and was the highlight of the film. I also agree that the dialog was cringe-worthy, but it's been that way in all of the films IMO.

Top Bottom