That 'Lil' Old Media Room in Texas

A continuing labor of love!

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
Tom Lehman submitted a new Showcase Item:

That 'Lil' Old Media Room in Texas

This current Media Room is the result of three previous media rooms and quite a few years of planning, growth and tweaking :-) I still have a way to go and have several upgrades/tweaks planned for the upcoming months.

We moved into our current house six years ago. The Media room was custom built over the oversized two car garage and is 20x22 with 9' ceilings at the center. All four walls have about a thirty degree tilted in soffit area where the side and rear surrounds are mounted. The ATMOS speakers are ceiling mounted and the front speakers are freestanding.

I placed all front speakers on concrete slabs floating on rubber isolation feet to decouple the sound from the floor. For me, this resulted in a cleaner more transparent sound on the LCR. Decoupling the subs allows me to play loud at night and not disturb the rest of the house (my wife :-)

The stairs and upstairs area are carpeted with whimsical theater themed wall to wall carpeting. I recently upgraded to 7.2.4 Dolby ATMOS surround sound. The room features two levels of seating, recessed Vutec 1.35.1 Widescreen (120 inches by 56 inches... 136" diagonal). Built-in niches have shelves for ample music and video media storage. Large double equipment racks (Middle Atlantic) houses all of the audio/video equipment for the media room and all ethernet and cable/satellite distribution to the entire house are placed in the back of the same equipment closet. The Media Room is on it's own HVAC system and has two 20 amp and three 15 amp dedicated electrical circuits and a separate 15 amp lighting circuit.

Equipment;

Signal Processing and Amplification
Marantz AV7703 Pre/Proc
Parasound Halo A21 Power Amp (new) - replaced my Parasound NewClassic 2250
Parasound Halo A52+ (new) - replaced my Parasound NewClassic 5250
Parasound ZoneMaster 450 (for the ATMOS)
Earthquake Sound XJ-600 LFE Amplifier (for the Tactile Transducers)
Yamaha 16 Channel Mixer

Sources
OPPO UDP-203
Apple TV 4K
DirecTV DVR
Yamaha CDC-755
Audio Technica Turntable (will either upgrade my turntable or sell off my vinyl soon)
Apple MacBook Pro

Display
Panasonic AE-8000U Projector
Vutec Fixed Cine-White 2.35:1 Screen 136" diagonal

Speakers
2 - BG Radia 520i ribbon planar floor standing speakers for front left and right
1 - BG Radia 220i Center channel speaker
4 - BG Radia 320i in-wall speakers for surround and rear speakers
4 - Polk CS-8 ceiling speakers for the ATMOS (Middle and Rear ATMOS)
2 -...

Read more about this showcase item here...

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter

danzilla31

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon X4400H
Main Amp
2 Crown XLS Drive Core 1002
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-7