Target curve in RTA window

MitchWolos

Registered
Is there a way to display the target curve within the RTA window?
It’s such a waste of time to have to save the measurement. Switch to the EQ tab. Reset the speaker settings. Reset the target level. Etc

I bought the Umik-X with 4 mic boards. They work great for quick tuning. I can see the changes I’m making in real time without having to move the mic in the vehicle. If I could just see what the target is in the measurement window. It would save a ton of time.

Also. Is there a way to not have to reset all those settings every time I open the EQ tab. I would like the target level to remain the same and the speaker type to always remain the same.

If I ever want to change the speaker type(I don’t). Or. Any other settings (I don’t). I will change it myself. Why would the software automatically do that.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Defaults are in Preferences on the Equaliser tab. Changes you make in any particular measurement are specific to that measurement. Changes you make before loading any measurements change the defaults. You could create a text file with your target curve, import it as a measurement and select it, it will then appear in the measurement trace on the RTA.

MitchWolos

Registered
Tuning a car audio system with 4 different target curves. That have different crossover frequencies for different vehicles and drivers. Creating a text file for each one seems like a waste of time.
Why not just show the target for your RTA while you’re using the RTA??

So, the changes in speaker preferences in the EQ tab will not change ever if I do this? If I load a target curve. Why would I want the program to add LF rise or HF rolloff etc.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The defaults on the Preferences Equaliser tab are used when a new measurement is made. After the measurement has been made the settings for that measurement can be changed as required, those changes will not affect other measurements or the defaults.

The EQ window acts on measurements that have been made. The RTA shows live results and also allows a measurement to be shown alongside them. It isn't really meaningful to talk about showing "the target" on the RTA since there is no single target, every measurement can have a different target and the defaults can themselves be different. If you have a set of targets for the RTA the easiest way to manage that is to create measurements that reflect those targets and then switch between them as needed, there are keyboard shortcuts to select measurements or move between measurements. The targets can be saved in a single mdat file to quickly load them when needed.

MitchWolos

Registered
"It isn't really meaningful to talk about showing "the target" on the RTA"

No. It is absolutely useful. I and many others in car audio are using a fully active configuration and will export 5 target curves:
1: Subwoofer
2: Midbass
3: Midrange
4: Tweeter
5: System

Each curve is essentially the target curve of the entire system. Flat/JBL/Whitledge/Etc Split into individual drivers with crossover slope included.

Why wouldn't someone want to be able to EQ their system and see the change in real time to matching the target?????

You can't tell me it seems like a good idea to save a measurement. Open a different window. Make adjustments to the parameters in the EQ window. Then compare. Then either export filters. Or make changes to the DSP. Then. Open RTA window. Remeasure and repeat.

With the UMIK-X. I can sit outside the car and use 2 screens and EQ in real time.

Being able to display the loaded target curve in the RTA window would save an hour per car at least.

Vladimir_1953

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
ROTEL RC-990
Main Amp
ROTEL RB-991
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
DENON DCD-2000AE, ROTEL RCD-991AE
Front Height Speakers
Dynaudio Crafft
Last edited:

MitchWolos

Registered
Google will help: Audiofrog-Target-Curve-REW
Did you even read my posts?
I want it to display the selected target curve in preferences. That is a single target curve Andy has made that will load into REW as a measurement for EQing the entire system. Most people use a spreadsheet file to generate target curves for each speaker including crossover. Which uses different frequencies for each vehicle.

But. Just the fact that this is how some people tune. Shows that this would be a valuable feature.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
We seem to be talking at cross purposes. By "It isn't really meaningful to talk about showing "the target" on the RTA" I mean there is no single target to show, and there is no way for REW to know which of the default target setting or the individual targets in any of the loaded measurement is the one you want to see on the RTA. There is no need to save RTA captures as measurements, you can create targets as measurements using simple text files (which can be generated from spreadsheets by saving .csv files if you prefer) and load them up, then switch between them with a key press. The target measurement you select with that key press will appear on the RTA as the first trace that can be selected. That seems a straightforward process to me and offers exactly what you are asking for, a target trace on the RTA to use while you tune.

Top Bottom