Taking pre-out measurements

AustinJerry

I am looking for step-by-step instructions on how to take pre-out measurements, but the Search function is not giving me any results. I am having difficulty specifically with creating a mic calibration file when using the microphone input to take measurements. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I actually wrote a section in my REW Guide covering pre-out measurements (starting on page 100), but this was a number of years ago and I am having difficulty in getting the procedure to work now.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Measuring pre-outs can be done by connecting the pre-out to a line level soundcard input, pretty much per your guide, though I wouldn't select 16-bit 44.1k data on the device formats unless you specifically needed to measure at that sample rate and resolution. If you are using a mic connector on a laptop check the spec to make sure it isn't actually a headset jack of some sort, with additional connections.

AustinJerry

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I am experiencing some issues with my laptop and setting proper levels in REW for the pre-out measurements. The issues I am seeing are complex and will require some work to document them properly. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to focus on it right now, As always, thank you for your response.

Top Bottom