Sweep vs PN measurement results

banshee

Registered
So I ran into this today and not sure if its something with my setup or what, but my measurements with mono PN, generated within REW, measures quite a bit differently than a sweep over the same FR and volume. I found this to be the case with any speaker in my system.

You can see here my MB is tracking my curve fine but the sweep measurement 1 min later is much different and higher.

Any ideas?

With each I am using 4 MIC inputs using a single average, but otherwise this setup works perfectly.

Xzxdw9r.png

bSlpUOq.png

Last edited:

banshee

Registered
So disregard the dips, just starting the tuning on this one, long ways to go, but you can see with all one side playing once it gets past 100Hz or so the sweep is much higher in db across the FR! How is this?

With the bottom measurement, my tweets need to increase level, however with the sweep on top, they are way too high! I kinda think the tweets are too high from what I can tell so far.

TuK1QHt.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
For your PN measurements the RTA needs to be in an RTA mode (not Spectrum) and the RTA Appearance option "Adjust RTA levels" should be selected.

banshee

Registered
Awesome, this is exactly what the issue was! I will make sure I keep it on RTA and have adjust RTA levels checked from now on. I just ran a quick PN test and immediately huge difference, PN traces jumped up 20-30db as expected!

Also ran a quick RTA vs Sweep and 100% the same now. Well back to tuning "the right way" today.... :T

Thanks again John!!

Top Bottom