SVS Ultra 7.2.4 Atmos System - AVR/powering recommendations and other advice

Discussion in 'AV Equipment Advice and Pricing' started by robkh1984, Oct 7, 2018.

1. robkh1984

robkh1984 New Member

I've looked at hundreds of reviews and keep coming back to this one. Great job, Todd!

I want to go from a soundbar (Yamaha YSP-5600) to a full on surround sound system. I already have a SVS SB-16 Ultra sub and am thinking of going SVS all around.

II searche all around to get ideas for my particular setup, but couldn't find many options where the couch is against the back corner wall and there's a large space where a side wall would normally be in a rectangular room. I can do either a 5.1.4, 7.1.4, or even a 9.1.4 setup with Atmos/Auro 3D and "Voice of God" Channel.

Plan 1 - Ground Floor-01-01.jpeg
    What I'm comfortable with so far:
    • Fronts: SVS Ultra bookshelves for the FR and FL and a SVS Ultra Center
    • Atmos:
      • 2 rear heights above couch facing the front,
      • 2 front heights above FR and FL bookshelves facing the rear.
        (Left and Right front and rear heights would be aligned.)
    • A Prime Elevation for the "Voice of God" channel above and slightly in front of the MLP.
    • Four 24x48x2" accoustic panels in the corner where the couch is.
    • Two 24x24x2" accoustic panels, 1 behind where each bookshelf would be.

QUESTION 1: What to do with the rear and/or side surrounds?
    I'll probably use all SVS Prime Elevations or a combination of Prime Elevations and SVS Surrounds (Bipole/Dipole/Duet mode?).

I had some ideas I wanted to bounce around with you::

a) Prime Elevations mounted on the back wall, both about 2' above the MLP (main listening position), either:
    a1) mounted horizontally, angled inwards to direct the sound more towards the middle of the room;
    a2) same as a1, but angled outward, away from the middle of the room to spread out the sound;
    a3) same as a1, but angled 45° down and more directly, albeit not too directly, to the MLP; or
    a4) angled to fire up to the ceiling, something recommended by Zeos (Z Reviews: 34:30 mark)​

b) Ceiling mounted, one on each side of the couch, both angled towards the MLP.
    1 on side wall and 1 on the other side of the couch, but up against the back wall.
    ISSUE: Higher than recommended, but assume Audyssey MultEQ XT32 calibration can help with that.

c) SVS Surrounds on the back wall, about 2' above th MLP, in either bipole or Duet modes.
    ISSUE: one of them would be in a corner pretty close to the corner and right above one of the seating areas.

d) any of the combination above for more of a 7.1.4 or 9.1.4 setup.

QUESTION 2: What the best options are for receiver and amp separates would power this setup? The other option is going with an all-in-one (eg, Marantz SR8012 / SR7013 or Denon AVR-8500H / AVR-6500H).

Definitely welcome the feedback. Wife comes home in 2 weeks, so the time is now. Adding a floorplan with measurements in case it helps.
    (Apologies in advance for any typos. Doing this off my phone.)

Thanks a ton, and looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Rob

2. Sonnie

Sonnie Senior Admin
    Staff Member

Hi Rob and welcome the AV NIRVANA

I moved your post to its own thread. We would not want to clog up the review thread with recommendations for you that will get into many things that will have nothing to do with the review thread.

Personally I think you have a train wreck going on with your room setup there. I don't see how you will ever accomplish anything that is going to sound all that good given the seating and location of your display. With your present setup, I don't even see how you can get the display centered between the two bookshelf speakers.... and even if you did, they would be so close to it that it would create issues with the VOG center, unless you were able to mount it right at the top of the display. I don't know.... I see massive issues there.

If you can some how move the display to where it is at an angle... the move the couch (assuming this is your MLP) to an angle facing the display.... or swap your MLP and display areas... put the display on the couch wall, which would make for a much better experience. You really need to get the front experience fixed right before you will be able to figure out the surround and height experience.

3. robkh1984

robkh1984 New Member

Hi Sonnie, I have room for the fronts and center around and under the TV. The TV doesn't cover the entire wall .I have about 18" on each side.

Mostly wondering about the rears and surrounds.

4. Todd Anderson

Todd Anderson News Editor / Reviewer/ Senior Admin
    Staff Member

Hey Rob -

Thanks for the kind remarks. Glad to see you here! I have some answers for you - have to wrap a few things up this morning and will be back this afternoon!

Best , todd

5. Todd Anderson

Todd Anderson News Editor / Reviewer/ Senior Admin
    Staff Member

Alright - let's see if we can work through this.

For your front three, the Bookshelf and Center Channel speakers are excellent choices. You already have the sub, so as long as you get those bookshelves positioned in a way that they can breath a little in your space, you're going to love them. GREAT speakers for the coin.

I have a Part 2 to the SVS system review that's been waiting to go live. Needs just a tad more baking. ;-) But, if you're looking to set up an Auro friendly system, you don't necessarily need a VOG channel. If you're ceilings are in the 8-9ft range, you should be fine with 4 height channels (in my opinion, the best sounding Atmos/Auro dual arrangement has ceiling mounted height channels over your primary seating and two front wall mounted channels for your "front height." This, of course, is wildly dependent on room size, etc... so if you have a way of rigging your speakers before you permanently mount them (I used 2x4s), then I suggest slogging through various speaker arrangements and testing it on your own. Based on your drawing, it looks like your area is about as long as my home theater.

As for Question 1: Because you lack side walls near your seating position, I think you're okay rolling with Elevations mounted horizontally on the wall behind your couch. I'd make them as wide to the wall on the left side of the seating position as possible, then mirror that placement on the otherwise for symmetry. They'll be fairly easy to mount horizontal.

Alternatively, you could use the Surround model, but I'm not convinced you'll gain much... and you'll loose the ability to aim them over the seating position.

Of course this all just my opinion, you may want to ask SVS as well.

Don't be afraid to run a 5.1.4 system (as opposed to 7.x.x... you have tight quarters there and I think the 5.x.x will sound just as good.

As for Question 2: Any of the AVRs you listed should be able to drive the system you're looking at. Personally, I always like to add a dedicated amplifier for the LCR channels, but the Marantz and Denon models can drive those speakers clean to decently loud volume levels. I believe I have the 8500 coming for review any day now (unless there's supply hang up).

robkh1984 likes this.