SVS Lowers the BOOM! with Its All-New 3000 Series of Subs

SVS Lowers the Boom! with Its All-New 3000 Series of Subs

full?d=1542222055.png

(SVS) The all-new sealed and ported 3000 Series Subwoofers
(November 14, 2018) I’m a huge fan of blindside announcements and the fine folks at SVS seemingly never disappoint. That’s right home theater fans, SVS just slammed its sonic hammer – again! – with serious authority, revealing an entirely new line of competitively priced subs. Designated as the “3000 Series,” the company is bringing two new models to market with aggressive pricing that’s going to put smiles on a lot of faces.

“SVS is further asserting its dominance in the home subwoofer market by deploying the most advanced technology and achieving unrivaled performance at a lower price range than ever before with the 3000 Series,” said Gary Yacoubian, SVS President and Managing Partner. “Our engineering team challenged themselves to bring reference subwoofer performance to new lows so more people could enjoy chest-thumping output, subterranean deep bass extension, pinpoint accuracy and all the benefits of a world-class subwoofer. I’m proud to say, mission accomplished. The 3000 Series are unmatched in performance for the price and well beyond.”

Comprised of single sealed (SB-3000) and dual ported (PB-3000) models, the new 3000 Series is designed to push SVS’s legendary performance and sound to even greater levels. Both subs house a new 13” driver that was designed from the ground up. According to SVS, the driver’s dual ferrite magnet motor assembly (which weighs some 25 lbs) produces “immense magnetic force” that translates into impressive excursion and loudness. Overall playback is enhanced and controlled by a lightweight and rigid aluminum venter cone with a composite fiber dust cap.

SVS says one of the driver’s more innovative features is a flat edge wound split-wind voice coil that resides within the motor assembly. According to the company, this design “creates a gap within the voice coil to provide effortless, on-demand power at the highest excursion levels, while reducing mass and improving overall driver efficiency." The result? On-demand deep bass laced with precision. The result is room-shaking output with amazingly precise response when the music, movie or other content demands it most.”

Speaking of output, the sealed cabinet design is rated to hit down to 18Hz, while the ported cabinet hits 2Hz lower (down to 16Hz) when run with both ports open. Those numbers are quite striking, especially considering the SB-3000’s cabinet measures a room-friendly 15.6” H x 15.2” W x 17.8” D (54.4 lbs). The ported PB-3000 is slightly larger (21.9” x 18.3” x 26”) but remains rather manageable considering it weighs 82.2 lbs.

Power is delivered via a Sledge STA-800D2 amp that features Class D efficiency and 800 watts RMS output (2,500 watts peak). That power is married to a 50MHz Analog Devices Audio DSP with 56-bit filtering, a processor that controls output through room optimization, frequency response curves, and other DSP controls. Much like other recently released SVS subs, these kinds of controls (and a few others) can be accessed and fine-tuned using the free SVS app available for Apple, Android, and Amazon devices.

Build-wise, SVS says that both models feature a double-thick MDF front baffle and rigid internal bracing. They also each have removable metal mesh grills. Externally, the PB-3000 will only be offered in Premium Black Ash at launch ($1,399), while the SB-3000 is being offered in Black Ash ($999) and Piano Gloss Black ($1,099).

You can pre-order either sub now, with shipping is expected to begin the week of November 18th. Click on either model for more information: SB-3000 or PB-3000.

Additional Images
full?d=1542222055.jpg

full?d=1542222055.jpg

full?d=1542222055.jpg

full?d=1542222055.jpg

SB-3000 General Specifications
  • 13” high-excursion SVS 3000 Series Subwoofer Driver.
  • Sledge 800-watt continuous Class D design with 2,500+ watts of Peak Power.
  • High resolution 50Mhz Analog Devices Audio DSP with double precision 56bit filtering is the most advanced subwoofer processor available for perfect audio reproduction.
  • 18-270Hz ± 3 dB
  • Roll-off slope specifically optimized to take maximum advantage of available room gain
  • Auto/On and 3-30V AC/DC trigger for Maximum Installation Convenience.
  • Premium Black Ash and Piano Gloss Black finish options
  • Protective non-resonant steel mesh grille
  • Front-firing 13 inch high-excursion SVS driver
  • Rear-mounted amplifier with Intelligent Control Interface(ICI)
  • Screw-in rubber feet
  • Robust Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) cabinet construction
  • Dimensions (w/ grille): 15.6” (397mm) H X 15.2” (385mm) W X 17.8” (451mm) D
  • Dimensions (without grille): 15.6” (397mm) H X 15.2” (385mm) W X 15.7” (399mm) D
  • Shipped Dimensions: 23.7” (603mm) H 20.7” (527mm) W X 20.9” (530mm) D
  • Weight (unboxed): 54.5 lbs. (24.7 kg)
  • Shipped Weight: 63.6lbs (28.9kg)
PB-3000 General Specifications
  • 13” high-excursion SVS 3000 Series Subwoofer Driver.
  • Sledge 800-watt continuous Class D design with 2,500+ watts of Peak Power.
  • High resolution 50Mhz Analog Devices Audio DSP with double precision 56bit filtering is the most advanced subwoofer processor available for perfect audio reproduction.
  • 16-260 Hz +/- 3 dB (standard mode)
  • 18-260 Hz +/- 3 dB (sealed mode)
  • Roll-off slope specifically optimized to take maximum advantage of available room gain
  • Premium Black Ash
  • Protective non-resonant steel mesh grille
  • Front-firing 13 inch high-excursion SVS driver
  • Rear-mounted amplifier with Intelligent Control Interface (ICI)
  • Dual 3.5-inch ports
  • Screw-in rubber feet
  • Robust Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) cabinet construction
  • Dimensions (w/ grille): 21.9” (557mm) H X 18.3” (465mm) W X 26” (660mm) D
  • Dimensions (without grille): 21.9” (557mm) H X 18.3” (465mm) W X 23.5” (596mm) D
  • Shipped Dimensions: 31.3” (795mm) H 23.1” (587mm) W X 26.5” (674mm) D
  • Weight (unboxed): 82.2 lbs. (37.3 kg)
  • Shipped Weight: 97 lbs. (44 kg)

Last edited:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I'm surprised everyone isn't drooling all over these... they really hit a price point (not to mention a room-friendly mark) that gives folks deep bass playback for less than SVS's more expensive offerings. If you have a small to medium sized room, you'll more than likely coax notable bass into the teens for the $1K mark (sealed, black ash)... or duals for $2K.

Knowing SVS, these likely deliver as promised.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Hi Todd, these are a pretty killer value when you consider the technology, likely performance, and packaging.

The subwoofer driver, especially the new voice coil design sounds especially interesting.

canali

Registered
i'm stoked...this model might be the sweet goldilocks i've been awaiting...my room is midsized
13 wide x 28 deep (open living room leads no walls into open kitchen..one big rectangle)
and i'm using the kefs ls50wireless...have sbs2000 currently....always loved the DSP control app of the more $$$ 4000 and sb16 but couldn't afford it (i'm a canuck: we pay a painful 35% more on US prices).

i was torn between going dual sb2000 (only use sub for music) or upgrading to more $$$ 4000...but at double the cost...i have one single listening position so if done well, i understand a single can do well, too.
so this new 3000 model might just be the ticket.

thoughts?

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
i'm stoked...this model might be the sweet goldilocks i've been awaiting...my room is midsized
13 wide x 28 deep (open living room leads no walls into open kitchen..one big rectangle)
and i'm using the kefs ls50wireless...have sbs2000 currently....always loved the DSP control app of the more $$$ 4000 and sb16 but couldn't afford it (i'm a canuck: we pay a painful 35% more on US prices).

i was torn between going dual sb2000 (only use sub for music) or upgrading to more $$$ 4000...but at double the cost...i have one single listening position so if done well, i understand a single can do well, too.
so this new 3000 model might just be the ticket.

thoughts?

I’ll likely be testing this subwoofer, but not until it gets warm again. Just based on specs and reputation, I suspect this single sub will have as much output as two of the 2000’s, at least down low below 50hz. I think it’s going to be a great value.

Will you have the ability to take measurements?

canali

Registered
no won't be able to take measurements, sorry...still debating on dual sb2000, or single ...or upgrade to 3000 or 4000.
i spoke with ed mullen...he says based on that i play @ moderate volumes (my sub is placed right in btween my speakers (behind my open tv stand) that it might not make sense to upgrade...we'll see.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
no won't be able to take measurements, sorry...still debating on dual sb2000, or single ...or upgrade to 3000 or 4000.
i spoke with ed mullen...he says based on that i play @ moderate volumes (my sub is placed right in btween my speakers (behind my open tv stand) that it might not make sense to upgrade...we'll see.

It can be a little tricky to setup multiple subs without measurements. I would maybe consider sticking with what you have or selling it and upgrading.

People don’t like to admit this, but subs don’t really sound different the way normal speakers do. The “sound” of a sub is your room. The sub is more just there to energize the room with sound, the room is there to shape and corrupt it. What that means practically is that within their linear range, all subs sound the same. The differences people here are usually just differences in clean output. If you never exceed the limits of your current sub, the new 3000 isn’t going to sound any better.

Do you ever hear any sounds that seem evident of overloading the 2000? Distortion, strain, weird noises, vibrations?

canali

Registered
People don’t like to admit this, but subs don’t really sound different the way normal speakers do. The “sound” of a sub is your room. The sub is more just there to energize the room with sound, the room is there to shape and corrupt it. What that means practically is that within their linear range, all subs sound the same. The differences people here are usually just differences in clean output. If you never exceed the limits of your current sub, the new 3000 isn’t going to sound any better.

thanks...that is pretty much what ed mullen/svs said, too....esp if i'm only playing at moderate volumes.
.and no i don't hear any thing weird (have only played about 30 min on it, however always at moderate volumes)

i think i'll try playing with sub placement tomorrow (put on sofa in listening position then do the 'crawl')
...then play with it for a bit...Ed also thought between the speakers is a good place to start, too with phase turned to zero.

Last edited:

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
While your ears are certainly an excellent tool and how it sounds to you is what matters most, measurements can be such a help to get this right. If you are up for it, I would encourage you to look into learning how to do it. A very good USB measurement mic can be had for under $100, and REW is free and well supported. Even without any eq capability, the measurements can help with setup quite a bit. They help you set the phase, level, and figure out optimal placement.

I’ve had situations where the best spot for a subwoofer was not a spot that theory or modeling would ever suggest, and would not have otherwise been on my radar. There are a lot of “rules” out there around how to place and setup subwoofers optimally and my own experience is that those rules are meant to be broken.

There are also some free or cheap apps that can turn a smartphone into a decent RTA. If done right, that can work fine for measuring subwoofers.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I agree with Matt. The UMIK-1 mic from minidsp is a really good investment. It’s like dropping a little coin to get x-ray vision ;-). Seriously, tho, it makes sub placement and optimization much easier.

As for sub sound. I agree also... one caveat might be a slight difference between ported and sealed designs. Sealed, to me, does in fact play tad snappier/tighter. Not sure if that qualifies as sound quality. But certainly in presentation.

Top Bottom