Surface absorption

manowire

Registered
New user here. What are the numbers in the room simulator meant to reference? I have read ‘average absorption 200 hz and below” and have also read ‘per cent of surface covered with absorbing material”. I am dealing with plaster walls behind which have several inches of denim insulation with fairly high absorption ratings. Not sure how to depict this in the room simulator. Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.

srossi

In terms of acoustic room absorption the denim insulation has no affect. Use absorption coefficients of a plastered wall appox. .02-.05.
The denim backing does affect sound transmission from one side of a wall to the other.

DanDan

Staff member
Que? Of course the denim insulation has significant absorption, which will remove energy from the room tone/decay. But as well as depth of absorption, area is also extremely significant.
Several inches is however not much in terms of Alpha (Absorption Coefficient) at LF. So wildly guessing 4" might have an averaged Alpha below 200Hz of say 0.4
Then measure your surface area of the room, plus surface area of absorption to get the percentage that REW is looking for.

srossi

QUE?

Could you please explain the wall construction in more detail. If the denim material is not directly exposed to the room sound field it will have little contribution to the room absorption.

"I am dealing with plaster walls behind which have several inches of denim insulation..."

In the extreme case - if the wall was steel putting absorption material behind the steel would not change the surface absorption of the steel.

manowire

Registered
Basement. Concrete block walls for 2 of 4 walls. All four walls are Wood framed. 3.5” ultra touch denim insulation 16” on center on all four walls. All four walls are plastered & painted. Ceiling is thin vinyl 24” square tile with 5.5” ultra touch denim insulation between floor joists above. Hope this helps with relevant details requested.

srossi

Reflective wall materials125 Hz250 Hz500 Hz1 kHz2 kHz4 kHz

Plasterboard (12mm (1/2″) paneling on studs)0.290.10.060.050.040.04
Plaster (gypsum or lime, on masonry)0.010.020.020.030.040.05
Plaster (gypsum or lime, on wood lath)0.140.10.060.050.040.04

DanDan

Staff member
I'm a bit confused, is the Ultratouch in or on the walls. Vinyl tiles are probably quite reflective. I would replace those with fully absorbent such as Armstrong Optima.

manowire

Registered
Thank you. In the walls and ceiling under plaster on walls & 24” thin vinyl tile on ceiling. Carpet on floor.

Top Bottom