Suggestions

WingNut

Registered
Hi, John.

I'm an occasional, non-expert user who has long breaks between short periods of intensive use. This means that I forget a lot and have to re-learn each time. I can spend a couple of frustrating days setting up my equipment and trying to get my computer, sound card, miniDSP and REW to work together properly. It would help enormously if the Help were context-sensitive with respect to microphones. Of course, you don't want to have to maintain two user manuals, but even colour-coding the sections in the Help that pertain to either a USB mic or non-USB mic would be very useful. My poor old brain would find it much easier if it could safely ignore the irrelevant tracts.

Also, I often click on the wrong tab in the list of measurements down the left side of the screen. I appreciate that the tabs let you get more info into view, but I'm not convinced that they are worth it. There are many instances where I've deleted the wrong measurement and not discovered it until it was too late to recover it.

What do you think?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There isn't much that is specific to mic type, the help is already pretty explicit about that where it occurs.

There needs to be some way to navigate the list of measurements, what are you proposing should be used instead?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
I also have a couple of programs that I only use occasionally. What I did was create a Word document with the directions I needed so I wouldn’t have to learn it all over again each time. Might help to include screen shots too.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

WingNut

Registered
There isn't much that is specific to mic type, the help is already pretty explicit about that where it occurs.

There needs to be some way to navigate the list of measurements, what are you proposing should be used instead?

The list is fine, it's just the dog-leg shape of the top edge of each one that gets me. For me, a straight upper edge like a plain index card would be preferable to a tabbed upper edge.

WingNut

Registered
I also have a couple of programs that I only use occasionally. What I did was create a Word document with the directions I needed so I wouldn’t have to learn it all over again each time. Might help to include screen shots too.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Yes, that's what I'm doing, but it's ending up more like a guide to speaker design and measurement!

Top Bottom