Other Speakers or Equipment
ELAC Debut Reference DFR52
Screen
Samsung PN64H5000
Streaming Equipment
Google Chromecast
Streaming Subscriptions
GIK Tri-Traps
I just remembered - for that sweep, I had the extension at the highest setting - 28hz. That reduces the amount of amp power required on the low end, in order to increase overall SPL. So in reality, with the lowest extension setting, they extend probably to 5hz in the house, but I can't test that.

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
My all time favorite subwoofers are my pair of Funk Audio 18.0 subwoofers. Probably the most configurable subs available. No issues pressurizing my 2900cf basement.

The Funk crew locked me into a showroom with one of their subs so that I could experience it without interruptions. A memorable experience!

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
I haven't had the opportunity to hear anything from JTR or Seaton...,

There are plenty of opportunities. I'll let you know, next time!.

...but I'm doing okay with my Rythmik F12 pair. These don't fit into the cost no object or budget categories, but somewhere in between.

I'd love to hear them. Had a sealed Rythmik 15" in my home, once.

danzilla31

More  
Denon X4400H
Main Amp
2 Crown XLS Drive Core 1002
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-7
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime Towers
Surround Speakers
Elan Theaterpointsthp650sl
Surround Back Speakers
Front Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Rear Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Subwoofers
DUAL SVS PB 4000's
Video Display Device
Projector
Screen
120 inch fixed frame custom built screen
Any other favorites worth a mention?
Although I own dual SVS PB 4000's and love them very very very very much my dream subwoofer for me is the Rhythmik FV25HP. Triple ported with dual 15 inch cones with a 1800RMS watt amp.

The measurements for just one of these is out of this world. It's a true super sub it can do it all music movies true 10hz extension it's tactile feel anything you want or think of it can deliver for you. For a super price as well.

Even in my space since its an open living room area as big as it is duals of this baby are just too much. But when I build the dedicated theater room? Ohhhh heck yeah might just have to let my PB 4000"s go for this beauty

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Although I own dual SVS PB 4000's and love them very very very very much my dream subwoofer for me is the Rhythmik FV25HP. Triple ported with dual 15 inch cones with a 1800RMS watt amp.

The measurements for just one of these is out of this world. It's a true super sub it can do it all music movies true 10hz extension it's tactile feel anything you want or think of it can deliver for you. For a super price as well.

Even in my space since its an open living room area as big as it is duals of this baby are just too much. But when I build the dedicated theater room? Ohhhh heck yeah might just have to let my PB 4000"s go for this beauty

Make sure you get your new home properly braced and reinforced! :hsd:

danzilla31

More  
Denon X4400H
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-7
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime Towers
Surround Speakers
Surround Back Speakers
Front Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Rear Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Subwoofers
DUAL SVS PB 4000's
Video Display Device
Projector
Screen

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
I haven't seen anyone mention the Monoprice Monolith 12 and 15" sub as a contender for budget sub. That 12" is hard to beat for the price.
I agree that the SVS lineup kind of covers it all from budget to top end

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Class D Audio: SDS-470CS
Additional Amp
Shellbrook Audio Hybrid Head headphone amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
I haven't seen anyone mention the Monoprice Monolith 12 and 15" sub as a contender for budget sub. That 12" is hard to beat for the price.
I agree that the SVS lineup kind of covers it all from budget to top end

Agreed. It might be out there and I may just have to do a bit of searching but it would be a fun side by side review/comparison between the SVS and Monoprice subs just to see which is the better performer at those price points.

danzilla31

More  
Denon X4400H
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-7
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime Towers
Surround Speakers
Surround Back Speakers
Front Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Rear Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Subwoofers
DUAL SVS PB 4000's
Video Display Device
Projector
Screen
Agreed. It might be out there and I may just have to do a bit of searching but it would be a fun side by side review/comparison between the SVS and Monoprice subs just to see which is the better performer at those price points.
Audioholics reviewed the 10 12 and 15 versions of all 3 monolith subs with careful measuresments. They also reviewed the SVS PB 4000 with careful measurements. When you compare the 15 to the PB 4000 it runs neck and neck with it. The SVS has an edge in the low end but the Monolith edges it at 80hz and above. These advantages aren't huge differences. They stack up very well with the Monolith being a lot less cash. But the features on the SVS are pretty awesome. A lot of the bassheads on AVS are saying the Monolith 15 is one of the top 3 best 15 inch subs right now period

Jack

More  
Integra 9.8 pre/pro, Denon 4520ci
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA5
Additional Amp
Darid I30
Other Amp
Hafler 220
Oppo
Front Speakers
Klipsch KLF10
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch C7
Surround Speakers
Various
Subwoofers
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Lita Audio Tube Dac, MyDac, Home made Music server
Video Display Device
Panasonic Viera Plasma, 65"
Remote Control
Lots
When you compare the 15 to the PB 4000 it runs neck and neck with it. The SVS has an edge in the low end but the Monolith edges it at 80hz and above.

I am curious about this information as the subwoofer's job is to extend depth and power in the LOW end which would give the nod to SVS. I do understand that being able to help throughout the upper low end is a good thing. I am not on either side of the fence as far as the brand names here as I have another brand sub. I would like to hear the Monolith one day, however, I do not know anyone that has one where I am. I do think you are right though about cost being a factor which certainly gives the not to the Monolith.

danzilla31

More  
Denon X4400H
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-7
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime Towers
Surround Speakers
Surround Back Speakers
Front Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Rear Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Subwoofers
DUAL SVS PB 4000's
Video Display Device
Projector
Screen
I am curious about this information as the subwoofer's job is to extend depth and power in the LOW end which would give the nod to SVS. I do understand that being able to help throughout the upper low end is a good thing. I am not on either side of the fence as far as the brand names here as I have another brand sub. I would like to hear the Monolith one day, however, I do not know anyone that has one where I am. I do think you are right though about cost being a factor which certainly gives the not to the Monolith.
Yeah what's crazy to me is SVS gets bashed a lot by people stating there too expensive and I get there are more affordable options out there but I just wonder if some realize just how well designed a 13inch driver sub has to be designed to put out those numbers in the low end that compete or in some cases exceed what some of the best 15 inch subs can do out there right now. Then add looks plus some really outstanding app features and I feel they are when viewed in that light very well priced when you factor everything in including there best in the business warranties and outstanding customer service and 45 day free trials. I love SVS always have always will

danzilla31

More  
Denon X4400H
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-7
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime Towers
Surround Speakers
Surround Back Speakers
Front Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Rear Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Subwoofers
DUAL SVS PB 4000's
Video Display Device
Projector
Screen
I like the monoliths so much that someday since they stack up so well with SVS maybe buying 2 of them to go with my 4000's for my dream of quad subs tho and that's saying a lot about the monoprice 15's and how I feel about them a fella on AVS a very well respected bassheads did a review on the 15 monoprice and he couldn't stop raving about it I was very impressed by his review and his measurements in room were outstanding

Jack

More  
Integra 9.8 pre/pro, Denon 4520ci
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA5
Additional Amp
Darid I30
Other Amp
Hafler 220
Oppo
Front Speakers
Klipsch KLF10
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch C7
Surround Speakers
Various
Subwoofers
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Lita Audio Tube Dac, MyDac, Home made Music server
Video Display Device
Panasonic Viera Plasma, 65"
Remote Control
Lots
Like regular speakers in your system, I am not so sure it is good to have multiple brands/sizes of subwoofers in your system. I tried that once and it did not work well, as such I did 2 same subs for music and 2 additional matching subs for movies. That was nice.

danzilla31

More  
Denon X4400H
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-7
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime Towers
Surround Speakers
Surround Back Speakers
Front Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Rear Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Subwoofers
DUAL SVS PB 4000's
Video Display Device
Projector
Screen
Like regular speakers in your system, I am not so sure it is good to have multiple brands/sizes of subwoofers in your system. I tried that once and it did not work well, as such I did 2 same subs for music and 2 additional matching subs for movies. That was nice.
That's good info to know appreciate it

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict

That is common advice but one I like to correct. It isn’t really a problem.

The argument against using different types and brands of subs is that the dynamic limits of the different subs make it so the weakest sub becomes your weak link. Partially but not necessarily totally true.

Then you have the arguement about ported vs sealed. Again, there is truth to the argument but it’s also an overstatement to say never do it.

Rather, using multiple dissimilar subs adds variables you need to account for and it can complicate integration.

I’m a big believer in the use of multiple subs which have a bandwidth focused more in the midbass region. I then like to use one sub that has greater low end extension than the midbass subs. In my case I have a mix of sealed and ported, but the ported is the deep bass sub and is tuned below 20hz.

There is no problems with this approach but there are complications to address. For example my extension is actually worse with the ported sub added to the equation because the port is out of phase with that of the sealed subs. Fix for that is a targeted allpass filter. That and, honestly, I don’t really care that I might be missing bass output below 15hz where the cancelation occurs.

As for dynamic differences. If they are wildly different then that is a problem. However if we are talking about modest differences of say 3-4dB then It can be managed. My own approach, which i took from geddes, doesn’t set all subs at the same output level. Instead I set each additional sub in the system that is closer to me at a lower level than that of the first sub. My setup currently is operating with 5 subwoofers. The 18” porter sub is the first sub added in my setup routine and is set such that the level is flat with it added, or close to that. I then add each successive sub and only allow it to bring the total output up about 1dB or so. When all is done I get the right room curve I want but the midbass module subs are not playing as loud. That means that it, for example, the subs output is 3dB’s lower in peak output and its playing 3dB lower in level, its total dynamic range in the system is the same. I haven’t limited anything.

danzilla31

More  
Denon X4400H
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-7
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime Towers
Surround Speakers
Surround Back Speakers
Front Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Rear Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Subwoofers
DUAL SVS PB 4000's
Video Display Device
Projector
Screen
That is common advice but one I like to correct. It isn’t really a problem.

The argument against using different types and brands of subs is that the dynamic limits of the different subs make it so the weakest sub becomes your weak link. Partially buy not necessarily totally true.

Then you have the arguemebt about ported vs sealed. Again, there is truth to the argument but it’s also an overstatement to say never do it.

Rather, using multiple dissimilar subs adds variables you need to account for and it can complicate integration.

I’m a big believer in the use of multiple subs which have a bandwidth focused more in the midbass region. I then like to use one sub that has greater low end extension than the midbass subs. In my case I have a mix of sealed and ported, but the ported is the deep bass sub and is tuned below 20hz.

There is no problems with this approach but there are complications to address. For example my extension is actually worse with the ported sub added to the equation because the port is out of phase with that of the sealed subs. Fix for that is a targeted allpass filter. That and, honestly, I don’t really care that I might be missing bass output below 15hz where the cancelation occurs.

As for dynamic differences. If they are wildly different then that is a problem. However if we are talking about modest differences of say 3-4dB then It can be managed. My own approach, which i took from geddes, doesn’t set all subs at the same output level. Instead I set each additional sub in the system that is closer to me at a lower level than that of the first sub. My setup currently is operating with 5 subwoofers. The 18” porter sub is the first sub added in my setup routine and is set such that the level is flat with it added, or close to that. I then add each successive sub and only allow it to bring the total output up about 1dB or so. When all is done I get the right room curve I want but the midbass module subs are not playing as loud. That means that it, for example, the subs output is 3dB’s lower in peak output and its playing 3dB lower in level, its total dynamic range in the system is the same. I haven’t limited anything.
That's one of the reasons why I'm thinking of one day going with dual Monoprices with the PB 4000's both ported tuned to same extension. Output is the same overall within a +-3db range across all frequencies. Amplifiers RMS power very close same kind off signature on sound very accurate low distortion bass. I'm thinking they might be a pretty good match

Craig Chase

Lifetime Supporter
More  
Marantz 7008 / Outlaw Audio 975
Main Amp
Axiom 1500-4, Axiom 1000-5
Additional Amp
Marantz 250 M
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
Legacy Signature SE's, Axiom LFR-1100's, Klipsch
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RC-64II, Axiom VP180 HP
Surround Speakers
ACI, Axiom, Klipsch
Subwoofers
PowerSound Audio, Rythmik, Axiom
Video Display Device
LG Projector
Screen
Da-Lite 54x96
Anyone wanting subwoofer nirvana without having to build his own units should look at the Power Sound Audio S-3611. It nails everything - output, linearity in the upper bass, 10 Hz extension ... and with duals under $4000 delivered ... they can fill any room. This sub will outgun anything else mentioned here.

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Class D Audio: SDS-470CS
Additional Amp
Shellbrook Audio Hybrid Head headphone amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
Anyone wanting subwoofer nirvana without having to build his own units should look at the Power Sound Audio S-3611. It nails everything - output, linearity in the upper bass, 10 Hz extension ... and with duals under $4000 delivered ... they can fill any room. This sub will outgun anything else mentioned here.

137lbs. each!!! The sub weighs more than I do : P

Craig Chase

Lifetime Supporter
More  
Marantz 7008 / Outlaw Audio 975
Main Amp
Axiom 1500-4, Axiom 1000-5
Additional Amp
Marantz 250 M
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
Legacy Signature SE's, Axiom LFR-1100's, Klipsch
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RC-64II, Axiom VP180 HP
Surround Speakers
ACI, Axiom, Klipsch
Subwoofers
PowerSound Audio, Rythmik, Axiom
Video Display Device
LG Projector
Screen
Da-Lite 54x96
137lbs. each!!! The sub weighs more than I do : P

Delivering high output with a 112 foot wavelength needs a lot of air movement. Thus - 137 pounds of 18 inch drivers/amp/enclosure. :T

Top Bottom