Surround Back Speakers
Swan Diva 2.1
Subwoofers
SVS 20-39 x2
Video Display Device
JVC RS500
Screen
Stewart 110'
I recently installed REW V5.18 Beta 8, running Java 1.8.0_102 32-bit on Windows 10 and am getting unreliable performance in REW and it seems to destabilize windows.

This is the first time I have ever installed and.used REW.

After initially experiencing the difficulties described below I downloaded the most recent audio driver, and Windows confirms that status. It does not seem to have helped.
I have managed to take readings for all channels but with very sporadic behavior. Here are some of the symptoms I have experienced:

• When in REW… every time I start REW I get the ‘system test audio generator not available’
  • each time I switch to a new channel to test and press ‘check levels’ I get the' soundcard no input data' popup albeit at times there is a significant test signal…. at times not... I toggle in and out of measurements and sometimes it starts working, sometimes not
  • Each time I use REW then try to restart the surface PRO I get that hanging/looping in ‘restarting’ mode, and have to hold the power button for a few iterations of it attempting to restart… This only ever occurs when I have run REW since last boot
  • And obviously, because I got measurements for all channels, in between these sporadic but frequent issues it does work
  • When not in REW, the UMIK-1 mic and DVD playback through the Marantz 8802 are 100% reliable
I welcome any suggestions

Steve

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It isn't ordinarily possible for REW to destabilise Windows, REW is an application running within a Java runtime and can't affect much outside the runtime environment. Are you using an ASIO driver such as ASIO4All or the Java drivers? If you are using ASIO try the Java drivers and see how that behaves, in case there is some problem with the ASIO driver.

Slash

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz 8802
Main Amp
Cinepro 2K5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-2
Other Amp
Samson S700
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
PS3
Front Speakers
CLD Dynamics
Center Channel Speaker
CLD Dynamics
Surround Speakers
Swan Diva 5.1
Surround Back Speakers
Swan Diva 2.1
Subwoofers
SVS 20-39 x2
Video Display Device
JVC RS500
Screen
Stewart 110'
It isn't ordinarily possible for REW to destabilise Windows, REW is an application running within a Java runtime and can't affect much outside the runtime environment. Are you using an ASIO driver such as ASIO4All or the Java drivers? If you are using ASIO try the Java drivers and see how that behaves, in case there is some problem with the ASIO driver.
Hi John, thanks for the reply. I really wanted the ASIO, I decided to abandon the surface pro, dusted off an old window 7 laptop and so far so good :)

Top Bottom