Streamers...DIY

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio Hang Loose Convolver Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
I am not sure what exactly you are asking @NBPK402... In general I would say that a NUC can be plugged directly into your UPS (what kind do you have?)... If any of those NUCs are plugged directly into your DAC/Processor via something like USB then you may have a noise path of some kind... We are really talking about splitting hairs here... Do you have some kind of a block diagram or sketch of the system you are in the process of building out... Something that includes power paths as well as digital signal paths and analogue signal paths...

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
NUCs power> UPS
NUCs USB> USB HDDs>USB HDDS power>Furman>UPS
NUCs HDMI>Yamaha cxa5100 power>Furman>UPS
Yamaha cxa5100 XLRs>Xilica crossover XLRs>Power amps
Yamaha cxa5100 power>Furman>UPS
Xilica power>Furman>UPS
Power amps power> Furman>UPS
DUNE Media player HDMI>Yamaha cxa5100
Dune media player power>Furman>UPS
ROKU Media player HDMI>Yamaha cxa5100
Roku Media player power>Furman> UPS
LG TV HDMI>Yamaha cxa5100
LG TV power>wall

UPS is a CyberPower 1500AVRLCD

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Today I tested the new touchscreen and itvworks with Roon! I had a few difficulties with my original plan though, and that was even though I could install rock as a endpoint...it would only do audio to HDMI. So that meant no touchscreen display. So I decided to try Linux and found out yhe linux bridge does audio only too...so windows or mac were the only PC s I could use, and it will only work with windows 10. I then thought that maybe a Samsung tablet would be better as it would be a controller, but the problem with that route isthat if I remove the case... the conne tions zre all on the thin sides and bottom. I am pretty sure if I was back in California...one of my friends could wire directly to the back for power, and hardwire for LAN. So I tested it on my i7 windows 10 NUC, and after correcting my screen resolution before turning on Roon, it popped up just like my tablet does, and works great.

Question ...how can I stop windows update from updating and rebooting..as it is not a problem right now to swap the HDMI cables and USB to login after reboot, but It will be a pain if I have to pull the media player from the case everytime windows installs updates and reboots.

Question 2...should I put a power button on the front for each NUC?

Question 3...any downside to have the Plex Server on the same PC as the Roon endpoint?
20211106_123031.jpg

The lines are from the camera and not the touchscreen. The resolution is 1280x800.

Last edited:

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio Hang Loose Convolver Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Today I tested the new touchscreen and itvworks with Roon! I had a few difficulties with my original plan though, and that was even though I could install rock as a endpoint...it would only do audio to HDMI. So that meant no touchscreen display. So I decided to try Linux and found out yhe linux bridge does audio only too...so windows or mac were the only PC s I could use, and it will only work with windows 10. I then thought that maybe a Samsung tablet would be better as it would be a controller, but the problem with that route isthat if I remove the case... the conne tions zre all on the thin sides and bottom. I am pretty sure if I was back in California...one of my friends could wire directly to the back for power, and hardwire for LAN. So I tested it on my i7 windows 10 NUC, and after correcting my screen resolution before turning on Roon, it popped up just like my tablet does, and works great.

Question ...how can I stop windows update from updating and rebooting..as it is not a problem right now to swap the HDMI cables and USB to login after reboot, but It will be a pain if I have to pull the media player from the case everytime windows installs updates and reboots.

Question 2...should I put a power button on the front for each NUC?

Question 3...any downside to have the Plex Server on the same PC as the Roon endpoint? View attachment 47278

The lines are from the camera and not the touchscreen. The resolution is 1280x800.
I have not found a way to permanently turn off windows 10 from doing some automatic updates... However, there are some ways to temporally stop updates... Try this: https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/how-to-turn-off-automatic-updates-in-windows-10

It might make things a bit easier with power buttons in the front...

If you plan to run Plex and Roon at the same time, I would make sure you have plenty of CPU horsepower, I/O bandwidth and Network bandwidth...

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I have not found a way to permanently turn off windows 10 from doing some automatic updates... However, there are some ways to temporally stop updates... Try this: https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/how-to-turn-off-automatic-updates-in-windows-10

It might make things a bit easier with power buttons in the front...

If you plan to run Plex and Roon at the same time, I would make sure you have plenty of CPU horsepower, I/O bandwidth and Network bandwidth...
Thanks I will follow the link.

I am going to open up the NUC when it arrives and see how the front USB, and power button is attached... I might have my friend machine the front plate with 2 rectangular holes and attach them to the front plate with the NUC panel flush to the plate.

I would have them both on a i5 or a i7NUC, but only one would be doing anything at a time...since my wife and I watch and listen to the same source.

Last edited:

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I am thinking of attaching my HDDs to the large heatsinks on the amp sides to cool them...not that they really need cooling, but cooler is better than hot. Anyone ever tried Keratherm pads (they use them on the AmpCamp amps to cool the transistors, by attaching them to the heatsinks)?

Keratherm Transistor Insulators – diyAudio Store

Last edited:

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Just got my NUC 7i5BNH in, and it is dead quiet...unlike my screamer NUC 7i7BNH. I have 2 fans coming in that supposedly will silence the NUCs too.

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
I am thinking of attaching my HDDs to the large heatsinks on the amp sides to cool them...not that they really need cooling, but cooler is better than hot. Anyone ever tried Keratherm pads (they use them on the AmpCamp amps to cool the transistors, by attaching them to the heatsinks)?

Keratherm Transistor Insulators – diyAudio Store
I do not have any experience with Keratherm pads... I would be worried about the mess they might make if you ever wanted to remove the stuff... I have never had any HDD cooling issues with any of the PCs I've ever owned... And here is an interesting article: https://www.buildcomputers.net/hdd-temperature.html There is a lot of system and disk monitoring software out there... It sometimes helps to see what is going on with temps in realtime...

Last edited:

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I do not have any experience with Keratherm pads... I would be worried about the mess they might make if you ever wanted to remove the stuff... I have never had any HDD cooling issues with any of the PCs I've ever owned... And here is an interesting article: https://www.buildcomputers.net/hdd-temperature.html
Thanks! As I recall my NAS HDDs run about 30C... I will check these USB ones out when I shuck them out of their cases. You saved me some money!

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I read this comment in a forum...
"keep the drives cool, disable the stupid head parking thing and/or AAM and/or APM and yes, the drives will practically last forever"
I will have to see what disabling these does..

Top Bottom