Stereo Outputs are missing Asio measurement on WIN10

Boris_

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
RME UFX
Front Speakers
NEUMANN 310 A
I'm going to measure my room response and I'm using a RME UFX soundcard ASIO. I'm curious that I just can measure at one channel. Is that due to asio drivers using a win system?

Kind regards,
Boris

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You can select a second output to use with ASIO so two channels can be driven.

Boris_

Registered
More  
RME UFX
Front Speakers
NEUMANN 310 A
You can select a second output to use with ASIO so two channels can be driven.
Thanks for the quick response. I do have in preferences (Settings) the Output option and Timing reference Output. This is probably not the way to go.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I'm not referring to the timing reference, a second channel can be selected for the measurement signal.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Looks like 5.19, the option for the second channel is on the Measure dialog. Probably better using the latest beta.

Boris_

Registered
More  
RME UFX
Front Speakers
NEUMANN 310 A
I have found it at the measurement itself. Thanks.
Boris

Boris_

Registered
More  
RME UFX
Front Speakers
NEUMANN 310 A
Thank you again for your help. Now the result is some sort of a miracle- If I see that correctly then I have a reverb time not ideal around 100 Hz? I would appreciate an assessment. Kind regards, Boris

Attachments

• Sep 2 11_21_34.mdat
    3 MB · Views: 8

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Your soundcard calibration is not valid, possibly because there was some monitoring active. None of the input signal can get back to the outputs. It is OK to measure without a soundcard calibration file if you are absolutely sure there is no monitoring.You can remove the soundcard calibration from existing measurements using the Change Cal button on the measurement panel and remove the file for new measurements by clearing it on the Soundcard preferences.

Measuring with both speakers has some validity at the low end, where much bass content may be mono anyway, but you should also measure each speaker individually. At higher frequencies driving both speakers causes comb filtering due to even slight differences in the distance from the mic to each speaker.

RT60 times aren't really meaningful below a couple of hundred Hz unless you are in a very large space. There looks to be a big room resonance at about 36 Hz, you may be able to reduce that by changing the speaker or listening position, or some EQ could be applied to tame it. The response below 150 Hz is a bit ragged, so some experimentation wit position would probably be worthwhile. If you happen to be in a rectangualr space the room simulator may help with investigating possible positions before actually moving anything. Make sure the monitoring is disabled before making any other measurements though.

Boris_

Registered
More  
RME UFX
Front Speakers
NEUMANN 310 A
Thanks. John. Can you please help me understand what you mean with "monitoring is disabled" before making ....."??

I have created the calibration file without monitoring by put a line (Analog1) to my micro input (Analog9). For the measurement. I have used the Sonarworks XREF 20 Mic and switched on the 48V and needed a gain of 32.

Kind regards,
Boris

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The mic input must not be routed to the speaker outputs. If you tap on the mic or speak into it, nothing should come from the speakers. This thread has settings for TotalMix.

Boris_

Registered
More  
RME UFX
Front Speakers
NEUMANN 310 A
The mic input must not be routed to the speaker outputs. If you tap on the mic or speak into it, nothing should come from the speakers. This thread has settings for TotalMix.
I think I understood now. I also have uploaded the calib file for the mic to REW. Have a look- I changed the position by the best option possible in Room Simulator- I think there is a change.

Attachments

• Sep 2 16_44_46_Positionswechsel_both.mdat
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
  • Sep 2 16_44_46_Positionswechsel_left.mdat
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • Sep 2 16_44_46_Positionswechsel_right.mdat
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Boris_

Registered
More  
RME UFX
Front Speakers
NEUMANN 310 A
Updated with all files. Left/Right Speaker and both

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Calibration response looks good. You may want to calibrate the SPL reading, I'm guessing the actual levels are a bit higher than shown - that doesn't change the response shapes at all though. Quite a dip from 40 Hz to 120 Hz. The right channel response seems to be about 5 dB lower than the left, did you change the gains for that measurement?

Boris_

Registered
More  
RME UFX
Front Speakers
NEUMANN 310 A
Calibration response looks good. You may want to calibrate the SPL reading, I'm guessing the actual levels are a bit higher than shown - that doesn't change the response shapes at all though. Quite a dip from 40 Hz to 120 Hz. The right channel response seems to be about 5 dB lower than the left, did you change the gains for that measurement?
Second try :-) Thank you a lot. For calib the SPL reading I did the measurement using an app (as I do not have a SPL meter device which is porbably needed). I cannot understand the dip now. Hope left and right is also even. I did the measurement in a sequence without altering something. Thanks John for the great guidance!!

Attachments

• Sep 2 16_44_46_Positionswechsel_both_II.mdat
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • Sep 2 16_44_46_Positionswechsel_left_II.mdat
  • Sep 2 16_44_46_Positionswechsel_right_II.mdat

Boris_

Registered
More  
RME UFX
Front Speakers
NEUMANN 310 A
Is this a good response simulation using two subs?

This is the simultaion without subs

This is the room

Attachments

• 1599068740435.png
    1599068740435.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 2

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Levels and left/right balance look much better on the latest measurements. Subs can help a lot and offer more placement options, and the ability to vary the phase at the crossover point between subs and mains. They need experimentation, rooms can behave differently than their dimensions might suggest depending on the materials of the walls, floor and ceiling and the positions of doors and windows so the simulator can only give potential starting points for making measurements.

Top Bottom