step by step instalation of REW on Linux

Dangerous Dave

Registered
Hi I am a new user on Linux and totally lost on installing REW on my POP OS Linux system. I downloaded Java 8 JDK and also REW for Linux but it will not install. I get some warning of possible malware and will not run. The instructions say to give permission for it to run. How is this done? Please help I am about to give up on linux and go back to windows just so I can run REW.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You don't need a JDK, just a runtime, which can be installed using sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre or equivalent.

After downloading the REW installation file set permissions to allow it to run and install it as follows (example is for 5.19, filename varies according to the download):

$ chmod 777 REW_linux_5_19.sh
$ sudo ./REW_linux_5_19.sh

Start REW by running

$ roomeqwizard

Dangerous Dave

Registered
You don't need a JDK, just a runtime, which can be installed using sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre or equivalent.

After downloading the REW installation file set permissions to allow it to run and install it as follows (example is for 5.19, filename varies according to the download):

$ chmod 777 REW_linux_5_19.sh
$ sudo ./REW_linux_5_19.sh

Start REW by running

$ roomeqwizard
Thank you for the reply. I have downloaded runtime and the installation file for REW but says its not marked as executable. Again I have been using Linux for 2 weeks and very new to using the OS. So how do you make it executable and give permission to run?

Dangerous Dave

Registered
That's what the chmod line does.
Thanks again John. I have downloaded Java 8 Runtime. Downloaded REW and is on my desktop as a shell script of 20 MB named: REW_linux_5_20_beta_31.sh I went to the
command line and typed: chmod 777 REW_linux_5_20_beta_31.sh
reply is:
chmod: cannot access 'REW_linux_5_20_beta_31.sh': No such file or directory

It is in my desktop but it doesn't see the file.
I am at a loss of what to do now. I realize I need to spend a lot more time learning how to run linux and installing programs before tackling such a program as REW. I used REW on windows without problems and thought I would switch to linux since REW has a linux download. please be patient with me to work out my problem. If you feel I should just go back to windows then let me know that as well.
Any reply from you or the community is very appreciated.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The "no such file" message means your terminal is opened in a different directory to the one where you downloaded the file. The terminal probably opened in your home directory. If you type cd ~/Desktop you should end up in your desktop directory.

I'm presuming you have some reason to use Linux other than the existence of an REW build for it.

Dangerous Dave

Registered
Thanks so much John and the community. You were correct that the terminal was open in a different location. I used cd ~/Desktop and that solved the problem. REW installed perfectly.

Top Bottom