Static/noise with sweeps

ss_blake

Registered
I just installed latest REW beta on my dell Windows 10 laptop. UMIK-2 mic. HDMI out from laptop to AVR (via HDMI-In bypass on Oppo Blu ray). Followed Austin Jerry REW setup guide including ASIO4All (only devices selected are the hdmi output audio device snd and umik-2) 90 degree calibration file, 16 bit / 48hz on input and output etc.

Really odd problem.

The Measurement sweeps sound all crackly and distorted in every speaker.

However, after the Measurement window is opened, if I immediately change the output HDMI channel OR audio timing reference hdmi channel before a sweep, it sounds normal.

If the measurement window is closed and reopened, same problem with crackly / staticky sweep, until a channel is changed!

I have observed the same behavior with the REW “Generator” when making sweeps or sine wave- if the static occurs , an hdmi channel change seems to (temporarily) fix it.

I have only seen a handful of posts about this (including from 2019) but no solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Probably worth trying FlexASIO to see if the same problem happens there. If not, stick with that.

Moses Magnum

Registered
Hi,

I'm getting the same problem. I've installed Flex ASIO but can't get it to load in REW. I get the error message below when I try.

"Unable to load the driver for FlexASIO due to

PortAudio device 'Microphone (Umik-1 Gain: 18dB )' not found within specified backend (minimum channel count: 1 input,0"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My setup is as below
PC GPU GTX670 HDMi >Denon AVC-4700. Mic is connected directly to the PC via USB, and my front speakers are being run by a Devialet Expert 200 which is connected to the Denon by pre-outs.

Thanks

Top Bottom