speaker cal pink noise

thothsong

From the REW help:

"The Speaker Cal option applies 2nd order (40 dB/decade, 12 dB/octave) filters at 500 Hz and 2 kHz, producing a signal with its energy centred on 1 kHz. Sub Cal applies filters at 30 Hz and 80 Hz. Both are broadly in line with the THX test signal recommendations."

I'm looking for best-practice advice on the type of pink noise to use when balancing a mixed set of non-sub speakers, where the speakers have varying capability, especially below 200 Hz. Is the REW Speaker Cal option preferred, or something else?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The speaker cal is a good test signal for level matching, though the roll-offs are quite slow so there is significant energy outside the band. You can use the Custom option to apply faster roll-offs with pink random noise or use pink periodic noise with brick wall filtering to isolate that band.

thothsong

The speaker cal is a good test signal for level matching, though the roll-offs are quite slow so there is significant energy outside the band. You can use the Custom option to apply faster roll-offs with pink random noise or use pink periodic noise with brick wall filtering to isolate that band.
Thanks! I'm a bit confused, though, further down the Help also says "The Sub cal and Spkr cal signals are brick wall filtered." So are they BU2 or Brickwall? Comparing previews with Custom 500-to-2000 Brickwall, it looks like Speaker Cal is actually Brickwall?

thothsong

Oh, I see, Periodic Speaker Cal is Brickwall, and Random Speaker Cal is not.

thothsong

If I use Periodic Sub Cal for the sub, and Periodic Speaker Cal for the other speakers, what dBC offset should I be targeting for the sub vs the other speakers (factoring in the usual +10 dB LFE offset)?

Top Bottom