Sound card cables

Harrycr

Hi
I have a trs to trs for the loop back but what do I need for the output.
The receiver only accepts rca.
Do I get trs to double rca?

Thanks

EarlK

For either of those soundcards you need a TRS to RCA cable like this;

TRS 2 RCA cable .PNG

:)

EarlK

Arrangement #12 ( in the above pic ) is the best to use ( when going balanced output to unbalanced input ) .
- It uses a "telescoping shield" that helps reduce noise pickup .

Is it ok to get double RCA?

Typically an RCA to RCA cable used with an RCA (F) to 1/4" (M) adapter on one end, will also work fine ( though it shorts to ground one side of the balanced output signal ).

Adapter.PNG

Harrycr

Arrangement #12 ( in the above pic ) is the best to use ( when going balanced output to unbalanced input ) .
- It uses a "telescoping shield" that helps reduce noise pickup .

Typically an RCA to RCA cable used with an RCA (F) to 1/4" (M) adapter on one end, will also work fine ( though it shorts to ground one side of the balanced output signal ).

View attachment 35159

Thanks
Sorry meant double RCA at the receiver end.

EarlK

A cable like this can also work ( with some caveats ).

The problem it presents to the end user ( is that when plugged into a balanced output ) only one RCA has a "positive polarity" signal while the other RCA has a "minus polarity" signal ( both types derived from the single balanced TRS output ) .

6.35mm TRS to Dual RCA_.PNG

One would want to confirm ( via a multimeter ) that the tip ( of the 1/4" plug ) is wired to the tip of the blue ( left ) RCA .

Using those connections should give a positive polarity ( phase ) signal ( if wired, as I noted ).

Last edited:

Harrycr

The problem it presents to the end user ( is that when plugged into a balanced output ) only one RCA has a "positive polarity" signal while the other RCA has a "minus polarity" signal ( both types derived from the single balanced TRS output ) .

View attachment 35185

One would want to confirm ( via a multimeter ) that the tip ( of the 1/4" plug ) is wired to the tip of the blue ( left ) RCA .

Using those connections should give a positive polarity ( phase ) signal ( if wired, as I noted ).

Thanks
Will go for the single RCA to play safe.

Harrycr

View attachment 35185

Got one made but double RCA (he said he went off your last post).
How can I tell if he has or not?

Thanks

EarlK

How to Tell ( about wiring ) ?

Use a multimeter to check for continuity between the tip ( of the Left RCA ) and the tip of the TRS plug.

The tip of the Right RCA should be wired to the ring ( 2nd band ) of the TRS plug.

Google will help you find out how to operate a multimeter ( if you don't know how ).

Harrycr

If only using one RCA why TRS why not TS?
Trying to understand.

Thanks

EarlK

The TS to RCA cable ( with the TS plugged into the TRS output ) will also work ( with a caveat ).

The TS shorts the "R" ( of the soundcards TRS output ) to ground.

You should check with the manufacturer of the soundcard to make sure that this is alright ( and doesn't damage the output circuitry of the soundcard ).
- Most manufacturers ( these days ) have forums where you can ask that sort of specific question.

Last edited:

EarlK

6-35mm-trs-to-dual-rca_-png.png

This ( pictured ) cable I feel is the best for you to buy ( a bit less to go wrong ) . it's also useful to have around since it can be used with many smartphones to inject stereo audio into a receiver.

Also, It won't short out any outputs on your soundcard //// and even if you happen to use the wrong RCA output, that'll only result in a flipped polarity ( which you should be always checking within the IR window ) .

Harrycr

Ok just got an email and he has made it to No 12 (post 6) like originally.
Is this not ok now?

Vladimir_1953

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
ROTEL RC-990
Main Amp
ROTEL RB-991
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
DENON DCD-2000AE, ROTEL RCD-991AE
Front Height Speakers
Dynaudio Crafft
Top Bottom