Sonos Port Streamer & MinDSP 2x4HD as Preamp for 2.2 System......Possible?

Newfiestang50

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha RXV-2600
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2
Additional Amp
NAD 272
Front Speakers
PSB Stratus Gold i
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB3000
Streaming Equipment
Sonos Amp
Currently have a Sonos Port streamer feeding my older Yamaha RXV-2600 AVR which in turn feeds my Emotiva XPA-2 amp & dual SVS SB3000 subs. While this sounds pretty good after tuning with REW I would like to try removing the AVR and connect the Sonos Port directly to the DSP and use its outputs to feed the XPA-2 and subs. Is this a logical thing to do and what would be the best way to perform REW sweeps to the Sonos/DSP. Currently I use a HDMI to the AVR but the Sonos dont have a HDMI input. The Sonos unit does have RCA input however, what would be the REW process to calibration if i can use this input?

The main reason to try this is the DSP can provide a compressor filter to limit output to my speakers for protection.

Suggestions?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
The Sonos has RCA analog inputs, so you can use those. Connect a splitter cable with a 3.5 mm plug on one end and dual RCAS on the other between the computer's headphone jack and Sonos, and you’re good to go.

Regards,
Wayne

Newfiestang50

More  
Yamaha RXV-2600
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2
Additional Amp
NAD 272
Front Speakers
PSB Stratus Gold i
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB3000
Streaming Equipment
Sonos Amp
The Sonos has RCA analog inputs, so you can use those. Connect a splitter cable with a 3.5 mm plug on one end and dual RCAS on the other between the computer's headphone jack and Sonos, and you’re good to go.

Regards,
Wayne
Ok but would I then have to calibrate the laptop sound card or is that necessary?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Calibration required a loopback connection between a device’s analog input and output. So you won’t be able to do that unless your computer has the appropriate connections.

Regards,
Wayne

Newfiestang50

More  
Yamaha RXV-2600
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2
Additional Amp
NAD 272
Front Speakers
PSB Stratus Gold i
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB3000
Streaming Equipment
Sonos Amp
Calibration required a loopback connection between a device’s analog input and output. So you won’t be able to do that unless your computer has the appropriate connections.

Regards,
Wayne
Ok, im sure my laptop only has a headphone 1/8" o/p with no i/p as you mentioned. So basically i cant calibrate the soundcard. Based on that i assume i cant use this laptop to perform REW calibrations....correct?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
You can. IIR John’s typically said that computer headphone outs are pretty flat.

You might do a baseline measurement with the full system to compare with your proposed setup. Hopefully they should be pretty close.

Regards,
Wayne

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
If you can stream local files then you can record the REW sweep and/or noise as wave files, play them and record the measurements with your mic connected to REW running on laptop.

Did you already know you can set a max volume on your AVR to prevent accidentally turning it up too loud?

Newfiestang50

More  
Yamaha RXV-2600
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2
Additional Amp
NAD 272
Front Speakers
PSB Stratus Gold i
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB3000
Streaming Equipment
Sonos Amp
If you can stream local files then you can record the REW sweep and/or noise as wave files, play them and record the measurements with your mic connected to REW running on laptop.

Did you already know you can set a max volume on your AVR to prevent accidentally turning it up too loud?
Yes I know, but that dont solve the issue with base heavy tracks that cause speakers to clip before it reaches the set max volume. The compressor in the DSP 2x4HD is custimizeable and is based on input level so it will work for every track......at least thats my understanding.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Yes I know, but that dont solve the issue with base heavy tracks that cause speakers to clip before it reaches the set max volume.
Well, I suppose that’s true, but how are you planning on figuring out what the compressor settings should be? To have them more accurate than just using a known bass heavy track to determine where you would want to set the max volume on the AVR will require tools and knowledge, which you may have. :)

Also, if your concern is the subs and you’re using a XO then you might want to check with SVS. Pretty sure you’ll find they build in protection so as to minimize warranty claims from accidental abuse.

I don’t understand fully what your specific situation and reason for concern is, but threw these things out there in case they applied.

Newfiestang50

More  
Yamaha RXV-2600
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2
Additional Amp
NAD 272
Front Speakers
PSB Stratus Gold i
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB3000
Streaming Equipment
Sonos Amp
Well, I suppose that’s true, but how are you planning on figuring out what the compressor settings should be? To have them more accurate than just using a known bass heavy track to determine where you would want to set the max volume on the AVR will require tools and knowledge, which you may have. :)

Also, if your concern is the subs and you’re using a XO then you might want to check with SVS. Pretty sure you’ll find they build in protection so as to minimize warranty claims from accidental abuse.

I don’t understand fully what your specific situation and reason for concern is, but threw these things out there in case they applied.
Not planning on using the compressor for the subs, figured the SVS DSP software will handle that on its own.

My system is multi use in my recroom, some times we have the occasional party there and on ocassion its gets a little loud. While the Stratus Golds can handle a lot of power the XPA-2 have on occassion caused them to reach x-max on the woofer and make that deaded popping sound. Likely this is not good for the speaker. Id like to do some expermenting on some of those base heavy tracks that cause that and then play with the compressor to hopefully elliminate it. So basically i would be using the compressor for the main L&R speakers only.

Does this sound reasonable.

Newfiestang50

More  
Yamaha RXV-2600
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2
Additional Amp
NAD 272
Front Speakers
PSB Stratus Gold i
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB3000
Streaming Equipment
Sonos Amp
So from what i understand, I need a PC or laptop with an audio input to properly take measurements and apply them in the miniDSP, or, as was mentioned above, record the sweeps as wave files and play them out to the Sonos port. Is there any procedure or tips on this forum that provides details on this method?

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
You might have a look at the MiniDSP Flex Balanced if budget allows.
Balanced to amp for no chance of ground loop
Has a volume control on its front if you need it.
Comes with a remote if you need it.
Much lower noise (hiss). I have experienced some hiss with 95dB sensitivity speakers with the HD. Your speakers are 87dB(?) so perhaps not much of an issue, but still. Also my use case involved the HD’s AD/DA conversion. I would recommend using digital out on port to digital in on either MiniDSP to avoid and extra DA/AD conversion.

Here are measurements for both units:

FLEX

Note that on this review the reviewer is comparing the unit to a modded one. The info for the unmodded version can be used for comparison to the flex.

2x4 HD

In truth using either unit may be the same listening experience, but your less likely to run into any noise issues with the flex.

If you decide the HD is for you and in you’re in CONUS I have an extra one I can sell for $200 incl shipping and PayPal fees. I don’t have the European plug adapter for it. Although I’ve had it for a couple of years I’ve never used this one. I’ll take it back if you ship it back to me within 45 days if it doesn’t work out. PM me if you would like to discuss further.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
So from what i understand, I need a PC or laptop with an audio input to properly take measurements and apply them in the miniDSP, or, as was mentioned above, record the sweeps as wave files and play them out to the Sonos port. Is there any procedure or tips on this forum that provides details on this method?

Probably, but it’s pretty straightforward.

Create left and right measurement files with the signal generator.

Read this page and you will be using Measuring with file playback.

It will be easy enough to get help beyond that by posting in the REW forum here. I use the method myself all the time because I’m too lazy to connect an hdmi to the laptop.

Edit: this thread is in the REW forum, lol.

Newfiestang50

More  
Yamaha RXV-2600
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2
Additional Amp
NAD 272
Front Speakers
PSB Stratus Gold i
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB3000
Streaming Equipment
Sonos Amp
You might have a look at the MiniDSP Flex Balanced if budget allows.
Balanced to amp for no chance of ground loop
Has a volume control on its front if you need it.
Comes with a remote if you need it.
Much lower noise (hiss). I have experienced some hiss with 95dB sensitivity speakers with the HD. Your speakers are 87dB(?) so perhaps not much of an issue, but still. Also my use case involved the HD’s AD/DA conversion. I would recommend using digital out on port to digital in on either MiniDSP to avoid and extra DA/AD conversion.

Here are measurements for both units:

FLEX

Note that on this review the reviewer is comparing the unit to a modded one. The info for the unmodded version can be used for comparison to the flex.

2x4 HD

In truth using either unit may be the same listening experience, but your less likely to run into any noise issues with the flex.

If you decide the HD is for you and in you’re in CONUS I have an extra one I can sell for $200 incl shipping and PayPal fees. I don’t have the European plug adapter for it. Although I’ve had it for a couple of years I’ve never used this one. I’ll take it back if you ship it back to me within 45 days if it doesn’t work out. PM me if you would like to discuss further.
Unfortunately

It will be easy enough to get help beyond that by posting in the REW forum here. I use the method myself all the time because I’m too lazy to connect an hdmi to the laptop.

I already have the 2x4HD purchased but yes.....looking back at how i intend to use the unit now i made a mistake indeed and should have purchased an alternative such as the Flex.

Newfiestang50

More  
Yamaha RXV-2600
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2
Additional Amp
NAD 272
Front Speakers
PSB Stratus Gold i
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB3000
Streaming Equipment
Sonos Amp
Sorry about the above repeat replies, no idea what happened there lol

Newfiestang50

More  
Yamaha RXV-2600
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2
Additional Amp
NAD 272
Front Speakers
PSB Stratus Gold i
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB3000
Streaming Equipment
Sonos Amp
So in creating these sweep files, do they need to be full sweeps (20Hz to 20KHz) and do i record them at the recommended 75 db? Sorry for all the questions.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
So in creating these sweep files, do they need to be full sweeps (20Hz to 20KHz) and do i record them at the recommended 75 db? Sorry for all the questions.
Record them at -12dBFS. That is the level REW defaults to for the sweeps you’ve used when sending via physical connection. As with the physical connection there’s no need to have it too loud. 75 dB is good and perhaps a tad louder than normal face to face conversation.

Newfiestang50

More  
Yamaha RXV-2600
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2
Additional Amp
NAD 272
Front Speakers
PSB Stratus Gold i
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB3000
Streaming Equipment
Sonos Amp
I would recommend using digital out on port to digital in on either MiniDSP to avoid and extra DA/AD conversion.
Yes but I would have to use the analog in on the Port for the calibration process I assume to keep the same sound path as normal listening.....correct? But yes I would use the digital out on Port to DSP for normal playback once calibrated.

Newfiestang50

More  
Yamaha RXV-2600
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2
Additional Amp
NAD 272
Front Speakers
PSB Stratus Gold i
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB3000
Streaming Equipment
Sonos Amp
Why? I thought the port would be streaming wave format measurement files created with the signal generator in REW.
Hmmm....ok yes that would be good, just have to figure how to get the wave files from the laptop to the Port wirelessly I guess to keep it in the digital format. Im not sure if the Sonos app has the ability yo do that. I guess i could try placing the wave file in my music library on my NAS drive and play it from there to Port over Wi-Fi. Im not home right now to experiment but are you familar with Sonos or do you have any other suggestions. Thanks for all the help thus far also, much appreciated.

Newfiestang50

More  
Yamaha RXV-2600
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2
Additional Amp
NAD 272
Front Speakers
PSB Stratus Gold i
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB3000
Streaming Equipment
Sonos Amp
Why? I thought the port would be streaming wave format measurement files created with the signal generator in REW.
So is this process as simple as saving both a sweep and a pink noise wave file then play them back through my sonos streamer? If so is there any particular settings that need to be changed in screenshots below. Cant seem to find much info on using REW this way.

1705792337126.png

1705792393017.png

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
So is this process as simple as saving both a sweep and a pink noise wave file then play them back through my sonos streamer? If so is there any particular settings that need to be changed in screenshots below. Cant seem to find much info on using REW this way.

View attachment 67658

View attachment 67659

For Pink noise record ”Pink Periodic”
Record left only, right only and both so you’ll have what you need.
Have you used REW’s RTA?
Are you familiar with Moving Mic Method for recording spatial average with Pink noise?

Record measurement sweeps with a timing reference (it’s an option you can check)
Left and right channels. Keep timing reference the same, can be either left or right.
Timing reference will be required for phase alignment of subs to mains through crossover region.
Here’s a thread for what this is about if you need it. Member @jtalden is the expert here…

Top Bottom