Should I use different setting? Or - how does this look?

TheCarlough

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this question. I'm mainly looking for feedback on my EQ settings in REW.

I'm using a MiniDSP, Dirac Live, and two SVS PB-1000 Pros. Room is 16'L x 9'W x 8'H. MLP faces the narrow wall.

This is a new room. I have some placement limitations due to how narrow the room is Initially had both subwoofers placed between the front stage - L S C S R. I'm focusing on using REW and the MiniDSP for sub EQ (limit Dirac on the subs as much as possible).

I have my AV receiver crossed over at 200hz while measuring and equalization.

No matter what I do, I have a couple of pretty good nulls as evidenced by the below measurement.

The measurement is before any EQ, but, EQing doesn't help the 80-100hz much. This is also without any smoothing:

I decided to place one of the subwoofers along the back wall, opposite of the subwoofer at the front.

Here's what I get before any adjustments:

The 25-28hz null is gone. The peak around 65 is still there and the 80-100hz is as well, but not as significant.

Here is what I have after EQ:

This is without any house curve adjustments. I left REW's EQ bass cutoff at 80hz. I've seen a number of YouTube videos that either leave it at 80, or, increase it to a point where there is no cutoff (ie, 850hz).

My questions are: 1) how does the above look? (I'm still very new to REW). To me it looks like moving one of the subwoofers to the back wall was the right move. And 2) should I raise the bass cutoff to help EQ from 80hz and higher?

Please let me know if I should post this elsewhere. Thank you!!!

Last edited:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
Looks good, but I expect that you went overboard with the equalizing. I mean, with the second graph you had a built-in house curve going in. All it needed was an adjustment for the small peak at ~68 Hz, and perhaps a slight, broad cut at 20 Hz.

The goal is not to get a picture-perfect graph, chasing every little ripple in response, which is what people seem inclined to do. The goal is improved sound quality. That only requires is smoothing out the worst peaks and depressions. Typically only a few filters are needed for that.

Regards,
Wayne

TheCarlough

Looks good, but I expect that you went overboard with the equalizing. I mean, with the second graph you had a built-in house curve going in. All it needed was an adjustment for the small peak at ~68 Hz, and perhaps a slight, broad cut at 20 Hz.

The goal is not to get a picture-perfect graph, chasing every little ripple in response, which is what people seem inclined to do. The goal is improved sound quality. That only requires is smoothing out the worst peaks and depressions. Typically only a few filters are needed for that.

Regards,
Wayne

Ahh. Right on, and good point. I followed a YouTube guide and let the EQ "do it's thing." I'll take your advice and try it out! Thanks!

Top Bottom