Several questions before making the switch

charbug

I have been learning as I go and this has been a very challenging endeavor. I have a two way Klipsch Jubilee speakers and a KPT-1802 sub that I have never tried to integrate. Been using MiniDsp SHD to PEQ and cross speakers and I have done all of this manually with good results when at 1 meter but in the room things get crazy. I have never run DIRAC on the SHD because I wanted to get the room the best I could before running. I started reading about audiolense and it sounds perfect. The biggest challenge is I have to buy new hardware if I make this move. I have a nice phono setup and I need an input for my phono preamp to feed and One for my CD player which is SPDIF. The rest of the music is on computer which is running Jriver 26. So to make this change the RME fireface UC, $1500 appears to have everything I need for hardware. Then the cost of good new cables because the RME is TRS, cost of audiolense and then I know I will have to pay someone for help to dial this in.
So I am looking for advice from People that have used MiniDsp and Dirac and Audiolense. Will Audiolense ultimately give you a superior setup over the minidsp and dirac?? The reason I ask is because this will require about $4K investment to buy hardware, software, and pay someone like Mitch Barnett to help me get through it. I wish I was technically more savvy with this but I am not. Mitch is a great guy and appears to be the man with this stuff. In the end I also dont want o wear Mitch out with lack of skills. I also hate computers and I know I will need help getting everything up and running and all the drivers correct. So many things to take into consideration and that is why I am on here looking for feedback on the potential end result with audiolense vs my potential end result now.
If Curious here are some files of what the speakers alone are like at 1 Meter dialed in and when you set the room up at a couple different listening positions.

Thanks!

Attachments

• listening positions 1 and 2.mdat
    11 MB · Views: 29
  • Jubilee at 1 meter.mdat
    1.8 MB · Views: 14

hulkss

I have used many different room correction products with my modified Klipschorns and custom subwoofers, including Dirac Live. Audiolense works the best for me. To get the benefit you are lookin for, you must bi-amp your Jubilee speakers and use the digital crossovers in Audiolense. Going to digital crossovers is the biggest improvement you can make. I use a MOTU 16A audio interface for my multichannel set-up. You do not need a MiniDSP. The computer running Jriver can do it all. I use Jriver also. Mitch can help for sure and get your filters tuned the best.

hulkss

Charbug and I calibrated his stereo system with Audiolense XO yesterday. I bet it sounds fantastic (I was participating remotely). The KPT-1802 subwoofer easily corrected flat down to 16 Hz and the Jubilee's looked great as well (two-way system with Beryllium diaphragm compression drivers). Audiolense worked perfectly.

charbug

All I can say, I now know what good Bass is supposed to be like. It was incredible the difference. I am shocked at the difference. I want to say hulkss is a hell of guy to take the time he did to work with me and help me get a feel for Audiolense. His expertise was greatly appreciated. I still have some fine tuning to do. I am using the RME UC and older product and I am thinking the new UCX II is the way to go. In the past when I was all passive I used a Benchmark DAC for my digital music and the RME just has a little bit of an edge that I don't like. It may just be the way it is supposed to be, "transparent with no coloring". I will be tweaking some and I am now gone to the dark side of all digital.

charbug

This has been a busy few weeks selling equipment to fund this. Getting new hardware and figuring out a new interface. Building a brand new PC to run things efficiently. I want to thing fundamental AV Chris Ludwig for helping with the RME and totalmix. He offers a great service to help the novice get up and running with proaudio equipment. Hulkss is a patient man walking me through the basics and getting me up and running. Finally Mitch Barnett for all his information on DSP that got me started on this. The plan was to get everything up and running and have the master perform the final dial in. I'm just wanting to get the final bugs worked out with my inability to play above 100DB and settle on the interface and do the final dial in. Once I get it right I'm done. Time to just enjoy the music.

Top Bottom