Save on Space and Cash with Dayton Audio's New MKSX4 Passive Sub

full?d=1549991542.png
(February 12, 2019) Dayton Audio has been on a roll and apparently it’s not ready to stop yet. Yesterday, the wallet-friendly brand revealed a new low profile passive subwoofer called MKSX4. Designed to complement the company’s full lineup of MK speakers in applications that Dayton defines as “small 2.1 systems,” the MKSX4 can be had for a mere $108 on Parts Express (MSRP is $144).

The MKSX4 is entirely unique from a design perspective, lacking a massive enclosure or a single large driver. Instead, it sports a space saving form factor (16" H x 5.9" W x 14" D) that utilizes removable rubber feet for positioning on its side or back. That feature, alone, lends to quite a bit of flexibility when it comes to placing the sub, not to mention that its weight makes for easy handling (26.85 lbs).

Performance-wise, it delivers audio in the 40-500 Hz rage (sensitivity: 88 dB, 4 ohms, 160 watts RMS power rating) utilizing a manifold driver layout for low resonance and low vibration playback. Instead of housing a single woofer, the sub shares output duty across four 4” high excursion drivers. These drivers are married to dual slot ports designed to minimize air turbulence.

According to Dayton, the MKSX4 can be happily powered by nearly any amplifier.

The MKSX4 is currently offered in a black finish that matches other MK Series speakers. It carries a 5 year warranty covering both parts and labor.

danzilla31

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon X4400H
Main Amp
2 Crown XLS Drive Core 1002
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-7
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime Towers
Surround Speakers
Elan Theaterpointsthp650sl
Surround Back Speakers
Elan Theaterpointsthp650sl
Front Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Rear Height Speakers
RSL C34E's
Subwoofers
DUAL SVS PB 4000's
Video Display Device
Projector
Screen
120 inch fixed frame custom built screen

full?d=1549991542.png
(February 12, 2019) Dayton Audio has been on a roll and apparently it’s not ready to stop yet. Yesterday, the wallet-friendly brand revealed a new low profile passive subwoofer called MKSX4. Designed to complement the company’s full lineup of MK speakers in applications that Dayton defines as “small 2.1 systems,” the MKSX4 can be had for a mere $108 on Parts Express (MSRP is $144).

The MKSX4 is entirely unique from a design perspective, lacking a massive enclosure or a single large driver. Instead, it sports a space saving form factor (16" H x 5.9" W x 14" D) that utilizes removable rubber feet for positioning on its side or back. That feature, alone, lends to quite a bit of flexibility when it comes to placing the sub, not to mention that its weight makes for easy handling (26.85 lbs).

Performance-wise, it delivers audio in the 40-500 Hz rage (sensitivity: 88 dB, 4 ohms, 160 watts RMS power rating) utilizing a manifold driver layout for low resonance and low vibration playback. Instead of housing a single woofer, the sub shares output duty across four 4” high excursion drivers. These drivers are married to dual slot ports designed to minimize air turbulence.

According to Dayton, the MKSX4 can be happily powered by nearly any amplifier.

The MKSX4 is currently offered in a black finish that matches other MK Series speakers. It carries a 5 year warranty covering both parts and labor.
I can totally see myself stick like 10 of these under my bed for my bedroom system Lol:)

Jack

More  
Integra 9.8 pre/pro, Denon 4520ci
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA5
Additional Amp
Darid I30
Other Amp
Hafler 220
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo
Front Speakers
Klipsch KLF10
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch C7
Surround Speakers
Various
Subwoofers
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Other Speakers or Equipment
Lita Audio Tube Dac, MyDac, Home made Music server
Video Display Device
Panasonic Viera Plasma, 65"
Remote Control
Lots
Interesting, I know they can do alot with smaller woofers these days and this one looks yummy.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Ok so I've had to keep this all under-wraps until now, but I had heard about this thing back when I reviewed the matching speakers. The funny thing was, while that little speaker was supposed to be pretty good on bass on it's own, it really thrived with a high pass filter and subwoofer. Why? The port is a bit too small and audibly chuffs if driven too hard. Used right it was still pretty listenable, but I know I generally use my pair with a sub.

So I set about designing a subwoofer for them. I tried different options, but I thought, man that 4" woofer has decent excursion. It would be cool to just build a subwoofer using a bunch of those 4" drivers. It's really inefficient, but it has high xmax and a low FS, perfect for a compact subwoofer. One or two of those drivers wouldn't be enough to take over the bass duties, it needed 4. Why? Well if it was just two, it wouldn't have any more output than the current design. This gives it 3dB more bass output, which is really the headroom it needs as a standalone subwoofer. So I mentioned this to one of their engineers, ready to get four of those drivers. He told me to hold my horses! Now you know why.

This thing is really pretty cool. By placing the drivers in this arrangement, it cancels some of the distortion and vibrations that are produced, allowing it to be a cleaner design. These chambers also tend to load the drivers and it can increase output a bit.

Now mind you, this has about the same output as a typical 6" to 8" subwoofer, it isn't going to knock your socks off, but for such a small box, its pretty capable. Or at least, it should be, I haven't had a chance to try one yet.

Jack

More  
Integra 9.8 pre/pro, Denon 4520ci
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA5
Additional Amp
Darid I30
Other Amp
Hafler 220
Oppo
Front Speakers
Klipsch KLF10
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch C7
Surround Speakers
Various
Subwoofers
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Other Speakers or Equipment
Lita Audio Tube Dac, MyDac, Home made Music server
Video Display Device
Panasonic Viera Plasma, 65"
Remote Control
Lots
Well that is a great background story. I do hope it is a good match for those speakers you reviewed.
folks could get an operational system with sub for but pennies on the dollar so to speak.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Well that is a great background story. I do hope it is a good match for those speakers you reviewed.
folks could get an operational system with sub for but pennies on the dollar so to speak.

I have a very full plate at the moment but still hope to check it out. It’s designed to mate with an amplifier that I fear won’t provide sufficient power for the system to sound its best. All of the speakers are power hungry. With cheap Class d amps I found it sounded thin and bright. I think the sub will lack drive.

It will probably be a really nice setup for the money. People shouldn’t expect audiophile sound on a beer budget here, but it will be very good sound for very cheap. The speakers I reviewed had their flaws. But these prices place them as competition against sound bars and such, and it certainly sounds better than that.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Unfolded Circle Remote 2, powered by HomeAssistant
Streaming Equipment
PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
These are actually attractive to me as mid-bass modules to pair with my MTMs that I’m using for LCRs, for a little better extension in the front in a small cavity behind the screen.

At that price it’s almost a no brainer, now to find a good amp(s) to power them.......

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Unfolded Circle Remote 2, powered by HomeAssistant
Streaming Equipment
PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
It actually seems that they could fit between studs and work as inwalls?

Top Bottom