RTA to analyze wav files

Clayton Williamson

The ability to analyze wave files in addition to real time signals via the RTA is super handy. There have been a surprising number of occasions where that turned out to be very useful to post-process recordings. Thanks for adding such a cool feature!

dcibel

It is very useful, I'd love for there to be a time slider to scroll back and analyze specific time locations within a file, rather than running the whole file through RTA and you get what you get at the end of playback.

Clayton Williamson

@sm52 For example, a recording of the background noise of a device or environment can be analyzed to show problem frequencies and their amplitudes, and/or the overall noise level. So, when changes are made to improve things, the same analysis can be used to quantify the improvement, and guide further ones. I particularly like it for self/background noise, since that's not a signal that you can inject into the system in the normal sense.

But, it can useful for analyzing signals as well -- the frequency response of a section of music, for example. So, that trumpet harmonic or bass guitar or whatever that doesn't sound right -- you can easily identify the exact frequency and level and therefore make compensations as necessary.

Clayton Williamson

@dcibel Oh, that's an interesting idea. I find that trimming the file in Audacity or similar, makes it easy to analyze just the section of interest, but it would be cool to do that in a more flexible and non-destructive manner completely inside REW. For example, my wave files generally have an initial section of junk, where the recording has started, but there are button clicks, chair creaking, door closing, etc. It would certainly save some time to just be able run the analysis from time x to y.

Top Bottom