RT60 Decay graph scaling

kvalsvoll

In the "RT60 Decay" window, top graph, the vertical dB scaling should either be fixed to a suitable range (0 or slightly above -> -60dB), or configurable.

As it is now, the vertical scaling changes for different measurements, and this makes the graphs more difficult to compare.

Also, it may be nice to be able to adjust the time scale as well.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The graph scales to accommodate the range of the measurement result, with a minimum SPL span of 60 dB and minimum time span of 1 second. I think that is more convenient than having to adjust the ranges to suit the particular decay being plotted. It also saves me the complication of providing a way to independently set the ranges of the two graphs, as the graph limits control only accommodates one graph. :)

kvalsvoll

The graph scales to accommodate the range of the measurement result, with a minimum SPL span of 60 dB and minimum time span of 1 second. I think that is more convenient than having to adjust the ranges to suit the particular decay being plotted. It also saves me the complication of providing a way to independently set the ranges of the two graphs, as the graph limits control only accommodates one graph. :)

I agree it may be sufficient to have a fixed range. I do not have any problem with using 60dB/1s.

If the 60dB and 1s are minimum limits, then perhaps changing the range to one fixed value would solve the problem. Some measurements end up with -70dB range, I have one -100dB. Bwfore pressing the Generate button, spl scaling is around +5dB to -60dB, after Generate scaling changes for some measurements, time scale seems to change to 1s, which isw fine, as long as it is consistent.

kvalsvoll

I also must say that this is only a suggestion for a minor improvement, it is not by any means a requirement. Until recently, this graph window - RT60 Decay - did not even exist, I have found it to be very useful to visualize acoustic properties of a room.

DanDan

Staff member
I rarely find it possible to view more than 50dB in Waterfalls and such.

kvalsvoll

I rarely find it possible to view more than 50dB in Waterfalls and such.

Not strange, since the noise floor often is around -50dB in a typical measurement. I just checked several measurements form many different rooms, and they all lie around -50dB noise floor. Though you may be able to get more dynamic range by increasing the spl for measuring, I don't see any practical advantage, as below around -40dB does not provide much relevant information - however, I may be wrong about that.

Top Bottom