Roon

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
i have wanted to try Roon for quite a while, and today is the day I decided to try it. I have been using JRiver, Plex, and also Kodi. I used to love Kodi until recemtly when I started to use the app for control, and that was a big disappointment. JRiver and Plex both do not hav3 good apps or an interface I like.

I joined Roon to get to try it out for 14 days for free...if 8 had done this a while ago I could have saved money on a lifetime membership, but I didn't so now I will pay annually. So once I joined I gave my info for payment, and then selected the Windows 64bit version to download (I selected the all in one package which is the core and emdpoint all on one pc). I then also downloaded the version formy android tablet too. The install wss super simple to do...all you do is follow the prompts and then select where your folders are for the music. I have mymusic in a few different folders so it was nice to be able to select each folder individually. Once I selected them it was jist a few minutes until I had all my music available to play. I then found out it saw my cxa5100 preamp as a player. Imagine my surprise when I selected an album and it actually switched thei put on the 5100 to airplay! I also found that I can change the volume on the Yamaha from the app, it displays the volume level in the app, and that it displays the song title on the 5100 too.This. ever happened on Kodi,JRiver, or Plex, and I really like this feature. One thing I really wanted was a way to have random play of all my music on my HDD. So far I see I can do it by Genre (which is perfect)...the only other thing I would like is to be able to be able to select say 80s rock, etc. Audio quality is just like listening to any other song via the lan on JRiver, Plex, or Kodi.

Last edited:

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Do you have Tidal or Qobuz connected to Roon?
There a feature called Roon Radio that’s really really good. Pick a single track you like and when it’s done playing it Roon will find and play more tracks that are similar. It is an awesome way to discover new music or to hear songs from your collection you may have forgotten about. There’s other “discovery” services of course but Roon rocks. I find myself saving its selections to playlists or going back through the play history to hear some again.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Do you have Tidal or Qobuz connected to Roon?
There a feature called Roon Radio that’s really really good. Pick a single track you like and when it’s done playing it Roon will find and play more tracks that are similar. It is an awesome way to discover new music or to hear songs from your collection you may have forgotten about. There’s other “discovery” services of course but Roon rocks. I find myself saving its selections to playlists or going back through the play history to hear some again.
At this point I do not use Tidal or Qobuz, as our internet is pretty slow. In the future I most likely will try them out too. I did try out the radio stations on Roon, and there were not too many to choose from. I am just happy I was able to use my Yamaha with airplay. I thought I was gojng to have to wait until I got a new preamp next year.

Now I just need to find a real nice video streamer for my setup...the Dune is becoming too buggy now, and I do not like the remote i terface for Kodi, JRiver, or Plex.

I goofed and could have won a Roon Nucleus for less than $220... I looked at the picture and thought it was just the Nucleus case so I requested to retract my bid. I then looked and found out it was complete, but the seller removed my bid right before it sold for $212. It would have been nice as it would have freed up my i5 win 7 PC.

Last edited:

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
I did try out the radio stations on Roon, and there were not too many to choose from.

Have to agree with that. I would have liked to see Radio Paradise on Roon.

Now I just need to find a real nice video streamer for my setup...the Dune is becoming too buggy now, and I do not like the remote i terface for Kodi, JRivrr, or Plex.

Here’s a subject I’ve completely lost touch with. Tried them all at one time or another years ago but there was always a problem or a deal breaking missing feature. Gave up on that and ripping. Now I just buy the disc if I want the best experience, otherwise AppleTV or Roku and done.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Have to agree with that. I would have liked to see Radio Paradise on Roon.

Here’s a subject I’ve completely lost touch with. Tried them all at one time or another years ago but there was always a problem or a deal breaking missing feature. Gave up on that and ripping. Now I just buy the disc if I want the best experience, otherwise AppleTV or Roku and done.
I buy all my movies and then rip them to the HDDs, as I like to just put them away to take up less space, and it is much easier and quicker to find with software.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
I buy all my movies and then rip them to the HDDs, as I like to just put them away to take up less space, and it is much easier and quicker to find with software.

Good points.

I always thought these guys had the perfect solution for movies. https://www.kaleidescape.com/. I just couldn’t justify their price for the hardware. (Meaning I couldn’t afford it :) )

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
I thought I’d post a couple of screenshots for our friend @3dbinCanada
I know you recently updated your music server, so we’ll call this for future reference or just a comparative fyi …
Roon has an excellent interface for finding and exploring a favorite genre of yours, classical.

481FF055-E0F2-441B-B291-7D17B4973D31.png

Sorting and scrolling…

95CD4BA1-B84D-4142-9325-4195FB4921C5.jpeg

Lots of choices…

938238CF-3E6B-4B3B-9A8A-63D05C41031C.png

Or scroll down the page a bit more …
1CB44677-C8EA-4693-B053-995A4ABE9321.jpeg

Nice piece of music by the way. I’m not a huge fan but enjoy every now and again.

Another way to look …

3C35215B-EE31-4335-8204-696A669B09A8.jpeg

The piece playing now was selected by Roon’s algorithm, called Radio, and started after Haydn as there was nothing else I’d selected in the queue.

Attachments

• D6D9B16C-452B-4738-B6C8-A23B8CF479CB.png
    D6D9B16C-452B-4738-B6C8-A23B8CF479CB.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 10

3dbinCanada

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha RX-A3060, RX-V1900, RX-V1075
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Yamaha BD-S681, Sony UBP-X800, Oppo BDP-83
Front Speakers
PSB Image T65, PSB Century 800, PSB Century 300
Center Channel Speaker
PSB Image 8C, PSB Century200, PSB Century 100
Surround Speakers
PSB Image 1B, RBH A600, PSB Alpha Minis
Surround Back Speakers
PSB Image 1B
Subwoofers
Rythmik LV12-R, PSB Subsonic 6, PSB Subsonic 5
Video Display Device
UN65KU6491 65"/UN55MU7000 55"/UN50MU7100 50"
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Equipment
BlueSound Node2i
I thought I’d post a couple of screenshots for our friend @3dbinCanada
I know you recently updated your music server, so we’ll call this for future reference or just a comparative fyi …
Roon has an excellent interface for finding and exploring a favorite genre of yours, classical.

View attachment 59578

Sorting and scrolling…

Lots of choices…

Or scroll down the page a bit more …

Nice piece of music by the way. I’m not a huge fan but enjoy every now and again.

Another way to look …

The piece playing now was selected by Roon’s algorithm, called Radio, and started after Haydn as there was nothing else I’d selected in the queue.
Thanks J. :) Happy Friday to you buddy!!

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Roon added DSP processing, called Muse, to ARC which is Roon‘s mobile connection to your Roon server!!! This was the only feature I was personally looking for not already available on ARC, which I use constantly. While walking, working and in the car with CarPlay.

I have convolution filters for my AirPods and AirPods Pro (great for noisy yard work by the way) that I really like and use in the house. Now those devices can sound just as good on the go. EDIT: PEQ only, but no problem with plenty of good PEQ filter sets available.

And my factory car audio system is really not good, so this may be an alternative to a much more expensive solution. Have to see what I can accomplish with REW and Muse to create and implement some filters.

To date there has been zero EQ apps for iPhone/iPad, at least every time I’ve searched for one, so this news could be big for a lot of mobile music lovers.

On this website
you can navigate to hundreds of filters, derived from measurements, and using the Harman target developed specifically for headphones and IEMs/buds. There are both PEQ, which can be further tweaked to your bass/treble taste, and convolution filters.
Useful for your computer sourced headphone rig at home and now, PEQ with ARC/Muse, for when you’re

Last edited:
Top Bottom