Room EQ Wizard Pro and miniDSP's New UMIK-X Microphone Array Make Multi-Channel Measurements a Reality

full?d=1603208658.png

(October 20, 2020). Room EQ Wizard (REW) has launched a new Pro upgrade to its mega-popular REW software package. While still in its early stages, Pro’s first advanced feature is capturing multiple inputs simultaneously for both measurement and real-time analysis. Individual SPL metering is available for the first four inputs.

Measurements made using multiple inputs will deliver data showing an rms average of all captured channel magnitudes, with an option to view each channel individually or a span of individual channels collectively. REW Pro allows users to select which channels are the first and last to be captured; Java drivers on Windows limits channel capture to two channels, while macOS and Linux Java drivers offer as many channels as the interface supports.

The REW Pro Upgrade costs $100, requires REW V5.20 or later, and can be purchase by clicking here. It can also be purchased as part of a $550 miniDSP package that ships with the company’s all-new UMIK-X distributed microphone array. This array includes up to 16 microphone capsules for true real-time multi-channel measurements. Each UMA4 microphone module includes four capsules, and up to four UMA4s can be daisy-chained together with a single twisted cable. Because theater rooms can be quite large, the chain can be made up to 40 meters long and connects to a computer using a USB-A2B interface (16 channels, 24-bit/ 44.1kHz or 48kHz). And, of course, it’s fully compatible with REW Pro.

The UMIK-X kit includes the USB interface, four UMA4 microphone arrays, adjustable 1.2m stands, and a REW Pro license. You can purchase it by clicking here.

Last edited:

Nordo

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon AVR X1500H
Additional Amp
Sub amp - Behringer EP2500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasoic BD35
Front Speakers
DIY
Center Channel Speaker
DIY
Surround Speakers
DIY
Surround Back Speakers
DIY
Front Height Speakers
-
Rear Height Speakers
-
Subwoofers
Four 15" infinite baffle drivers
Other Speakers or Equipment
HTPC (windows 10 with Kodi)
Video Display Device
Epson EMP-TW2000 projector
Screen
Matt white "blockout" curtain liner
I recommend try focussing your imaginary equilateral triangle a little distance behind your head/pillow. Obviously I would also recommend sampling at least at the two actual ear and centre locations, although not with you in the seat.
I hope the pillow is acoustically absorbent, not e.g. leather! http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/room-setup-speaker-placement/
The mains are aimed to a point around 12" behind my head.
I am using Audyssey to calibrate so only one mic position is used for time alignment.
The seats are leather, but I have an old feather doona thrown over the back of the front seats to reduce the reflection off the leather.
Not pretty, but effective.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
The mains are aimed to a point around 12" behind my head.
I am using Audyssey to calibrate so only one mic position is used for time alignment.
The seats are leather, but I have an old feather doona thrown over the back of the front seats to reduce the reflection off the leather.
Not pretty, but effective.
I had an upholstery guy make some covers out of thick plush blankets to help with reflections off the chair. We were able to measure those reflections and tame them rather well with the covers.

BEINGBING

Registered
Has anyone been using UMIK-X successfully? I am only getting the first four inputs and only the board connected directly to the A2B interface has it's LED lit. I am using the latest REW pro beta and ASIO4ALL with a focusrite interface used for output.

Top Bottom