Room EQ Wizard on RPi3 and HiRez ADC

HAL

Hello,
Installed the REW 5.19 Beta 7 on both my Windows 10 HP 64bit machine and my RPi3 running latest Raspbian OS. Runs on both platforms.

I spotted the post about Linux JAVA only running up to 24bit/96KHz and Windows to 24bit/192KHz on ASIO. My ADC and DAC only have ASIO drivers and the DAC section does work on the RPi3. The problem is the ADC only runs at 24bit/192KHz.

Is there a plan for the future to have the RPi3 version run at higher sample rates?

Best regards,
HAL

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I stopped at 96k for Java drivers as on Windows 192k was very unstable. I can add a 192k option for Linux on the next beta version.

HAL

Would like to give it a try with a Beta version with the 24bit/192KHz JAVA version for Linux. Was stable with ASIO driver on the PC side. As long as both the ADC and DAC are running at 24/192KHz the measurement with a log sweep and deconvolution should be stable.

I have to get a bigger DC power supply as the display and RPi3 take more than 2.5A from the stock RPi3 supply. Working on that now with a regulated linear power supply.

Thank you for the help!

Best regards,
Rich Hollis

HAL

Hello John,
Is there any expected time for the next beta release to try the 24bit/192KHz version for RPi3?

Just did the Java update to 8u152 on my RPi3 to test with. A lot faster than the default 8u65 installed with the OS.

Best regards,
Rich Hollis

HAL

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to trying it out.

Cary McCormick

Registered
That's really interesting that you've got REW running on an RPi3. I'd like to try that myself. Was there anything special or tricky that you needed to do?
I guess you're using analog in/out. Any chance of getting the HDMI to supply audio and USB for audio input?

HAL

You need to install the latest Raspbian OS, update to latest Java 8u152 and REW 5.18 in that order. You just use the shell system to do a lot of Linux commands that are available via searches as I did.

Cary McCormick

Registered
Jeez. I'm up and running with the latest Raspbian on the Pi3 (using it to type this) but upgrading to the latest Java 8u152 is not as easy as it sounds. I'll get it though :) Thanks again.

HAL

Have the Linux version of REW Beta 8 installed on the RPi3 with Java 8u152. The 96KHz sample rate driver works well with the DAC, but the 192KHz get what sounds like buffer swapping so glitches and odd noises. Sounds similar to your PC problem with Java driver.

There is a newer Java 8u172 out, so will see if that exists for Linux as a trial. Will see if I can find more info. Have submitted a bug report to Java about it to see if they have any ideas.

Thanks again for adding the 192KHz support!

Last edited:

HAL

I tried the Java 8u162 latest non-beta version and still the same problem. Did a bug report for Java on Linux ARM32 processors with Oracle and they said they do not support the RPi's. Said it was a USB driver problem. I reported back that the same DAC using VLC as a file player will work correctly with 24bit/192KHz data, so how is it a USB driver problem on Linux on the RPi3?

No Oracle response and the bug report is still closed with no new update.

HAL

Oracle reopened the Java Sound bug report with the updated info. Waiting on response.

Top Bottom