REW Windows10 output via USB into DAC shows SPL meter output but no actual sound.

marttheis

Registered
More  
Main Amp
6 Hypec nCores
DAC
Topping D90 MQA
Front Speakers
LXmini
Subwoofers
LXmini SUBs
Hi everyone,

I used REW with my Mac a while ago and it worked nicely. I connected the Topping DAC via USB and was able to get a audible output right away.
No I am having the same setup but I am using a Windows10 PC. REW recognized the DAC as always and I was able to check levels which showed a SPL output reading. However the speakers remain silent.
I have no idea why there is no sound coming out of the speakers. Gain setting at the DAC has no influence. Even when I set -0dB (no gain reduction) at the DAC and -5dB in REW there is no output.

Any ideas?

I also have the UMIK-1 connected via USB and it works well.

best regards
Martin

Attachments

• REW.png
    REW.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 7

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You are running an older build of REW, though that shouldn't make any difference. Can you get sound from the DAC when using sources other than REW? If you right click on the volume icon in the taskbar you can open the volume mixer to check the levels, in case any volume control in the output path is muted.

sam_adams

If you are using a Topping DAC that has both the preamp and DAC mode settings available, you may have the DAC in preamp mode with the level turned down. If you check the docs on the particular DAC, you can find the settings that will put the DAC into DAC mode with a fixed output level. You would then control the level either through the settings in Windows or with the amp/preamp you are using. One other thing, you should check if you need to install any drivers for the particular model DAC you are using. Some of the Topping DACs are USB UAC compliant and work without drivers on the lastest builds of Windows. Some still need drivers because of the USB controller in them.

marttheis

Registered
More  
Main Amp
6 Hypec nCores
DAC
Topping D90 MQA
Front Speakers
LXmini
Subwoofers
LXmini SUBs
@John Mulcahy: The DAC works fine when connected with the Roon Nukleus via USB but is silent when connect with the PC via USB. Volume is fine and nothing is muted.
@sam_adams: DAC is in preamp mode and I use it every day. Switched to pure DAC w/o a difference. I will check the drivers.

marttheis

Registered
More  
Main Amp
6 Hypec nCores
DAC
Topping D90 MQA
Front Speakers
LXmini
Subwoofers
LXmini SUBs
@sam_adams: I installed the topping USB drivers and it works now. Thank you very much! Worked w/o any treiber installation on the mac ;-)

Top Bottom