REW - Volume and Channel issue

heat23

Registered
I have a 3.1 setup and am using a MAC and REW 5.20.14 a couple issues I noticed:

1) When I do Check Levels - Sometimes the sound is deafening loud sometimes it is quiet, even if I don't adjust any settings
2) When I do Check Levels and choose "R", the sound is coming from both "R" and "L" channels - is that expected?
3) Intermittent - When I run REW sweeps, the sound from the Right speaker is MUCH louder than the Left. However, when I do "test tones" in the receiver, they are matched. Any ideas?
4) When I run measurements of my towers in Full range, I am getting inconsistent results each time I run it in the < 50hz range. How do I get more consistency? Or do I just run 5-10 measurements and AVG them?

Thanks!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Pretty bizarre. Sound coming from unexpected channels is usually due to a receiver processing mode. You can also check the way macOS has mapped the channels in Audio Midi Setup and make sure the channel mapping on the REW soundcard preferences is set the same. How are you connecting the mac to the receiver?

Background noise will be the main contributor at frequencies below the roll-off of the speakers, though I wouldn't pay too much attention to the measurements until you work out what is causing the random volume changes and channel outputs.

heat23

Registered
Pretty bizarre. Sound coming from unexpected channels is usually due to a receiver processing mode. You can also check the way macOS has mapped the channels in Audio Midi Setup and make sure the channel mapping on the REW soundcard preferences is set the same. How are you connecting the mac to the receiver?

Background noise will be the main contributor at frequencies below the roll-off of the speakers, though I wouldn't pay too much attention to the measurements until you work out what is causing the random volume changes and channel outputs.
Thanks for the reply. I will check the channel settings in a bit. I am using HDMi to connect the mac to AUX1 on my Denon x3300w

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Be mindful that receivers often have limited functionality for front panel HDMI inputs, so use one on the back panel.

heat23

Registered
REW seems to be behaving better now.. I have Audyssey set to Reference with DEQ OFF. My towers are set to "Large". How does this look? Can I do something to even it out better? Is it possible to get REW to match them out and spit out values I can put into the .ady file?

1683511754170.png

heat23

Registered
One more issue...
In REW, when I choose "C" or "LFE", I am not getting any sound output. My mac is set to 5.1 and denon is set to "Mult Ch In" ...Any ideas?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you are using an HDMI adaptor some only support stereo. here are some others have found to work.

Top Bottom