REW losing preferred sound device for output and input after sleep

ThetaII

Registered
Hi Folks.
Has anybody else had an issue, that started fairly recently for me, where after the PC or laptop goes to sleep, the previously selected sound devices for output and input are forgotten, and upon waking, defaults are selected which may or may not be suitable?
Unfortunately I foolishly didn't take note if this was happening on the previous version of REW or if it started after a windows 11 update and have not been able to narrow it down.
Regards
Mark

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW isn't forgetting them, the Java runtime creates different structures for them on waking up so the originals which it passed to REW before sleep no longer exist. REW asks for them, but is told they aren't there any more. That used to produce an immediate error, but now REW just updates the lists of devices to reflect the latest info it receives and tries to select them again, but they may not be present until some time after waking up. REW would usually then show a message saying that the list of devices has changed and inputs and outputs may need to be reselected.

ThetaII

Registered
REW isn't forgetting them, the Java runtime creates different structures for them on waking up so the originals which it passed to REW before sleep no longer exist. REW asks for them, but is told they aren't there any more. That used to produce an immediate error, but now REW just updates the lists of devices to reflect the latest info it receives and tries to select them again, but they may not be present until some time after waking up. REW would usually then show a message saying that the list of devices has changed and inputs and outputs may need to be reselected.
Thanks for the explanation John. I guess it isn't that much of a pain, especially if you only have one sound device (I don't), but I don't recall it happening with Windows 10, and just wondered if I was the only one seeing this.

Top Bottom