REW Graph Fall Off?

clrv

Registered
My knowledge for REW is about enough to get my self in trouble. I have learned how to use it from reading here and and watching Home Theater Gurus YouTube using REW and MiniDSP. I am attaching my REW file instead of a snap shot of the graphs(I edited the post to show waterfalls). If you would rather me take pics just let me know. My question is about my full range. On my waterfall they never drop off all the way. Is this a bad thing? My under standing of it is that it shows I still have sound lingering around.

Room 15' 4' wide - 21.5' long and 9' high. I will attach pics of the front and back of room as well. ***Pics have my previous speakers not the Sopra's"
Absorption at first reflection points and along the side walls. Absorption on the ceiling, and absorption with refection.
Speakers Focal Sopra's N3

*I'm editing my post a bit as John helped with my question. My follow up question is as follows:
Does anything stand out on the waterfall? I am thinking about adding absorption just under the screen and one more panel to the back wall. From my understanding the graph does not look to bad.? I don't want to over dampen my room, but I I think I could fix a few more areas.

Attachments

• Sopra and Paradigm.mdat
    5.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4452.JPG
    IMG_4452.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2534.JPG
    IMG_2534.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3955.jpg
    IMG_3955.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 40-300hz.png
    40-300hz.png
    189.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 300-800hz.png
    300-800hz.png
    220.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 800-5000.png
    800-5000.png
    235.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 5000-20000.png
    5000-20000.png
    199 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

clrv

Registered
I edited the post to show a few snap shots of the waterfalls. Not sure why they came in black & White. This is from the Left speaker. The full file is also attached that has the L,R, L+R, and center graphed.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Monochrome is an option on the graph capture dialog, uncheck it.

Waterfalls look normal, you have a very large SPL span so the noise floor of the measurement is visible.

clrv

Registered
Thanks John! I have changed from monochrome.

Does anything stand out on the waterfall? I am thinking about adding absorption just under the screen and one more panel to the back wall. From my understanding the graph does not look to bad. I don't want to over dampen my room but I I think I could fix a few more areas.

DanDan

Staff member
Your sweeps begin at 40Hz. The range of your vertical axis on the waterfalls is nearly 80dB. RT is over a 60dB span but in real rooms the noise floor is typically 35-40dB and the sweeps say 80 ish.
I am curious as to the position of the subs. This is likely to cause SBIR nulling. I would place them against the wall unless testing says otherwise.

clrv

Registered
Thanks Dan!

The waterfall is actually only for the front left speaker only. The first pic shows the placement of the subs. I do have one more on the back right corner. I have to have them both about 1/3 in away from the walls. Although the pic shows my old speakers the new Sopra's set in the same place. 36" from back wall, 18" from side walls.

DanDan

Staff member
I was looking at the .mdat. Ignoring the lack of sub your reponse looks quite flat. The Harman and B&K preferred listening curves are broadly speaking tilted about 6dB downwards from LF to HF.
Your RT60 is quite nicely around 250mS broadband but showing dramatic rises at LF. Similarly the Waterfalls are showing strong Modes. More, bigger, Bass Trapping, particularly in the Corners.

Last edited:

clrv

Registered
I will play around with moving some of the side wall panels. Thanks again Dan

Top Bottom