REW for large venues

Trdat

Can REW be used for large venue halls say approximately 3000m3? I had read somewhere that the old versions of REW had a RT60 max at 5 or 6 sec but I am hazarding a guess that a large venue with conrete structure and a 10 metre high ceiling will clock higher reverberation times than 5 or 6ms. The place was an echo chamber....

Anyway, if someone could tell me what the max RT60 time is and if we basically measure the same way as a small room?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW can analyse RT60 times longer than 30 seconds. On the Analysis preferences make sure the IR truncation is set to keep the full IR, or to keep 10 seconds if you find that is enough. Use a sweep longer than the expected RT60.

Trdat

REW can analyse RT60 times longer than 30 seconds. On the Analysis preferences make sure the IR truncation is set to keep the full IR, or to keep 10 seconds if you find that is enough. Use a sweep longer than the expected RT60.

Thanks so much. Ill saw the "keep full IR" so I will change that.

Sorry a bit of topic, but when measuring a larger venue using a mixer and the venues speakers(taking my laptop and soundcard) do I connect my focusrite soundcard to the mixer via the line outputs on the back of the soundcard with cables RCA 's into the mixer. And then choose in preferences both output and input device focusrite?

Essentially the sweep will come out of the focusrite to the mixer into the speakers. Have I understood this correctly?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Yes, that's fine. Make sure there is no monitoring, none of the input should be mixed back to the output.

Trdat

Yes, that's fine. Make sure there is no monitoring, none of the input should be mixed back to the output.

When you say monitoring, you mean monitor speaker connected to it? Or its a feature on the mixer. There will be an audio engineer there on that day but it will be great if have a decent understanding.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Generally on the interface. For example, some have a Mix knob which needs to be all the way to DAW (the other end is Input) so the output signal only comes from REW and doesn't include any of the input signal.

Trdat

Generally on the interface. For example, some have a Mix knob which needs to be all the way to DAW (the other end is Input) so the output signal only comes from REW and doesn't include any of the input signal.

I always saw that feature on the soundcard, had no idea what it was till now. But thanks for letting me know to turn it off, I would have never realised what it could have been if I could't get it working if I didnt have it turned off.

Top Bottom