REW destroyed digital I/O on both laptops

etohbro

Registered
Hi all,

So I have two macbook pros, one 15' one 13' both from mid 2014. One's running Yosemite and the other's running el capitan. A while back my 15' digital audio stopped working, meaning USB out didn't work, SPDIF optical out didn't work, bluetooth didn't work. It coincided with a long session with REW but didn't think much about it. Later, I try REW on the 15' and the calibration mic no longer registers. I verified USB devices (including controlling the miniDSP) still worked through all ports. Just couldn't play music.

From then on, whenever I want to use digital audio outs I use my 13'. One day i get new speakers and want to do some room adjustment so I install the most recent REW on my 13' and do my thing. Everything works. A day later, I find that my USB audio outs and bluetooth no longer work. I don't have an optical 3.5mm toslink to test optical out at the moment.

Restarting the computers, resetting NVRAM and SMC don't do anything. I checked the audio MIDI setup and toggled routing in there too to no effect. I just want to get my digital outs back. Any idea how to fix this? Glad to troubleshoot with whatever suggestions are made.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW has no access at all to any hardware on your mac (the same is true of any Java application). It cannot affect any of your audio settings or the settings of any audio device. All it can do is receive audio data from a selected device or send audio data to a selected device, that's it.

Top Bottom