Request for common chart aspect ratio

dcibel

Hello,
Within REW there is a lot of flexibility to the scaling range and aspect ratio of charts and grahps. While this flexibility is useful at times, it often leads to a non-common aspect ratio when viewing charts, and often with new users to the software I see screenshots posted with an absurd scaling range. I notice there is an option for a common aspect ratio when exporting graph images, but it would be great to be able to lock this aspect ratio within the software charts as well. For example, I would set horizontal range of 20Hz - 20kHz, and the vertical scaling would autimatically adjust to maintain 25dB/decade viewing aspect. One idea for this would be within the graph axis limits, to have some options to automatically adjust vertical scaling limits to maintain a specific aspect ratio.

Thanks!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The graph preset buttons have an option to also adjust aspect ratio whenever they are used, it is in the View settings. It doesn't lock that ratio, partly because it quickly become extremely annoying to have the scale change any time you zoom in on the frequency axis and see the feature you wanted to examine disappear off the top or bottom of the graph. Maintaining an aspect ratio without changing scale requires the graph itself to adjust its aspect ratio (as is done for the image capture with that option), but there are practical issues with having blank space around the graph or having the whole window size change as adjustments are made.

dcibel

The graph preset options will work perfectly well for me, thanks for pointing me to the option!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That would be a contradiction, the extents of the data are unlikely to match an aspect ratio. There is a Ctrl+Alt+F shortcut to fit the graph to the data.

thothsong

Aspect ratio is a generic term; I guess you mean there's unlikely to be a matching IEC 263 standard aspect ratio? I didn't know the options had to be constrained to those. The shortcut resizes both axes. What I was looking for is a way with the presets to get a specific frequency range, but resize the vertical axis to fit just the data within that frequency range, rather than the entire measurement(s).

Top Bottom