Qobuz Brings Hi-Res 24-bit Audio to Sonos

full?d=1616689222.png

(March 25, 2021) Qobuz has announced a new partnership that delivers 24-bit Hi-Res streaming on Sonos. That means Qobuz subscribers can enjoy better than CD quality audio with Sonos speakers, bringing a true studio experience into the home. Access to Qobuz is available through the Sonos S2 app, which represents Qobuz’s broadest expansion of its Hi-Res service to date. Sonos customers can enjoy Qobuz on most Sonos S2 products, which are capable of handling 24-bit/48kHz audio.

Qobuz, a pioneer in Hi-Res audio streaming, was the first service to deliver 16-bit FLAC audio over Sonos. It currently offers 24-bit resolution Sonos compatibility in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and the United States.

“Qobuz has always strived to make the highest quality audio accessible, as people become more interested in better sound,” said Dan Mackta, Managing Director, Qobuz USA. “Now, on Sonos devices, we’re making it easy for millions of more people to experience the improvement Hi-Res audio can make.”

Ryan Richards, Director of Product Marketing at Sonos added: ”Our open platform enables partners to bring the best of their experiences to the Sonos system and our mutual customers. Qobuz has been at the forefront of high resolution music streaming, and we look forward to customers enjoying their music with the clarity, depth, and room-filling sound of Sonos."

AustinJerry

I am a long-time Sonos user, but continue to be less than enthused by new Sonos announcements. First of all, these new features are not available for users with an "S1" configuration. While I have a new Port (an S2 device) as my primary streamer, I continue to use a Connect (a S1 device) in the bedroom. In a mixed configuration, the system defaults to S1, and new features are not available.

Second, I use Dirac Room correction, so all music is down-resed to 16-bit, 48KHz, so 24-bit would provide no improvement. If I had to choose between keeping Dirac active, or turning it off to enjoy higher-resolution audio, I would always opt for continuing to use Dirac. IMO, quality room correction provides a better audio improvement than higher resolution.

AustinJerry

Side note: Out of interest, I signed up for a 30-day Qobuz trial. When streaming music, is there a place in the Sonos app that shows whether the stream is 16-bit or 24-bit?

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Hey @AustinJerry, I wish I had an answer to your question... but I don’t. Perhaps you have to look directly on the Qobuz app?
As for the resolution differences with Dirac. I highly doubt you’d be able to hear a difference.... 16/44 sounds amazing. Perhaps a difference is discernible on high-end gear? Possibly...

Now, if we’re talking 16/44 vs XM Radio... I think you could pick out differences ;-)

AustinJerry

Thanks for the reply, Todd. I'll continue my evaluation and report back if I find an answer.

Top Bottom