Projector screens and 4K

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
So are all modern 4K movies shot in widescreen? Am I losing out by using a 16x9 screen? What size widescreen would be comparable too a 100” 16x9 screen? As I have upgraded my projector and receiver ...currently adding 4 speakers....my weakest point in my theater would be my screen. A basic white $300 16x9 100” fixed framed. Looking to stay in the $1500 budget area. Have about 24 inches on the wall width wise too play with. So likely a 120” screen.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
So your budget for the screen is $300? Have you checked out SeymourAV? You can by the material pretty cheap, and then make the frame inexpensively. I made my last frame, and will be making my next one out of 8020 t slot. 8020 is a bit more expensive than wood though. Year's ago I made one very simply with Draper screen material which stretched onto a wood frame I made, and stapled the screen to the frame. This is quick and easy...only you can't take it apart if you move.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
So your budget for the screen is $300? Have you checked out SeymourAV? You can by the material pretty cheap, and then make the frame inexpensively. I made my last frame, and will be making my next one out of 8020 t slot. 8020 is a bit more expensive than wood though. Year's ago I made one very simply with Draper screen material which stretched onto a wood frame I made, and stapled the screen to the frame. This is quick and easy...only you can't take it apart if you move.
My current screen was 300 my budget for a upgrade is 1500. I’m not making one myself.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Check out Elite screens too.

You may want to purchase a 2.35:1 screen, then you would add 8-10" below and above the screen (I added 2x8 boards on all 4 sides - screwed to the wall, so it would all be uniform and look better)... and cover them with the blackest of black velour material you can find. There are some threads in various places that talk about the best black material to use. When you watch a 2.35 movie... you set your lens preset to zoom out and make the black bars move to the black velour area... and you can't see it. You'll setup two lens settings on your presets to change them back and forth. I have buttons programmed on my remote. When watching a 16x9, you'll have black bars on the side. If you want you can get piano hinges and add swinging panels to absorb the black bars... makes it look like you have a 16x9 screen. The only issue is you have to set your screen panels each time you change the aspect ratio. I have been threatening the black panels for years... just haven't done it yet.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Other Speakers or Equipment
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
Elite, Vapex, etc. all have very good screens for the money. You want to avoid companies you've never heard of though. If Jamestown is still making them they may be an option as well.

As for the 2.35:1 stuff, it would come down to your preference and what you watch. I have a 16:9 screen and I've never even thought of going to a 2.35:1. I had thought about making panels at one point in time but I don't notice the black bars when I'm watching movies. I would if I were watching TV cause I usually have the lights up a bit brighter when watching normal TV programs.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X800
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Subwoofers
SVS PB2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Harmony Elite - Moving to Unfolded Circle Remote 2
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB, PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
You want to avoid companies you've never heard of though. If Jamestown is still making them they may be an option as well.

As for the 2.35:1 stuff, it would come down to your preference and what you watch. I have a 16:9 screen and I've never even thought of going to a 2.35:1. I had thought about making panels at one point in time but I don't notice the black bars when I'm watching movies. I would if I were watching TV cause I usually have the lights up a bit brighter when watching normal TV programs.

IIRC, Jamestown couldn't outrun the negative comments about slow delivery, and couldn't deliver any faster, so he just stopped. Was a good product, but it wasn't his primary career, so delivery times were often in the months, and communication was nil.

RE aspect ratio, I have a 16:9 screen, but have it semi-permanently masked at 2:1 for a happy medium. I'm cropping a few pixels off 16:9 and minimizing the bars on 2.35:1. I'm hoping to be moving in the next few months, which means new theater build (!!! :) !!!), and if at all possible I'm going to go with a 2.35:1 screen. I would've already swapped mine out but I'm already wall to wall. If I go with another 16:9, I'll have automated masking, but I'm really hoping for the right room for a 2.35.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
Check out Elite screens too.

You may want to purchase a 2.35:1 screen, then you would add 8-10" below and above the screen (I added 2x8 boards on all 4 sides - screwed to the wall, so it would all be uniform and look better)... and cover them with the blackest of black velour material you can find. There are some threads in various places that talk about the best black material to use. When you watch a 2.35 movie... you set your lens preset to zoom out and make the black bars move to the black velour area... and you can't see it. You'll setup two lens settings on your presets to change them back and forth. I have buttons programmed on my remote. When watching a 16x9, you'll have black bars on the side. If you want you can get piano hinges and add swinging panels to absorb the black bars... makes it look like you have a 16x9 screen. The only issue is you have to set your screen panels each time you change the aspect ratio. I have been threatening the black panels for years... just haven't done it yet.
My current screen has a 4 inch black velour frame....so I would create a secondary lense preset so the picture zooms and the bars are on the black valour? If I am understanding this correctly. I don't recall this issue with my Pani...maybe I set up the lense wrong on install? If I set it up correctly wouldn't auto iris adjust the picture for the screen?

Most of these screens don't actually support a 4K resolution. The surfaces are not textureless and thus don't render the tiny pixels beamed from a 4K projector. If you don't use a proper 4K screen you're not getting the quality out of your 4K projector.

Top Bottom